Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hid Lights!

I wanna upgrade my lights now my 30mm Eibach lowering springs have arrived and will be fitted very soon, But I dont know which ones to go for. I have seen HID kits and I think HB4/9006 is the correct one for the Lexus IS 200 but which ones shall I get from 6000K 8000K 10000K and 12000K.

I know the 12K is really blue almost purple and I have read somewhere its recommended to get the 6K ones but has anyone got any experience in these?

And finally how much should I expect to pay I have seen prices range from £120 - £250 why the huge difference?

Your help would be really appreciated!

:tomato:

I wanna upgrade my lights now my 30mm Eibach lowering springs have arrived and will be fitted very soon, But I dont know which ones to go for. I have seen HID kits and I think HB4/9006 is the correct one for the Lexus IS 200 but which ones shall I get from 6000K 8000K 10000K and 12000K.

I know the 12K is really blue almost purple and I have read somewhere its recommended to get the 6K ones but has anyone got any experience in these?

And finally how much should I expect to pay I have seen prices range from £120 - £250 why the huge difference?

Your help would be really appreciated!

:tomato:

Im down Reading are this weekend, shame im not going to have chance to meet up when its dark and show you. I have the 6k lights and can't fault them. Look more like the IS300 lights.

DSC00316.jpg

I've got 8000K on mine and love the way they look, but definitely don't throw out as much light as the OEM xenons on our other cars - not sure if that's due to the rating, the reflector, or both......

Does anyone know how much replacement bulbs cost (and where to buy them)? Thinking about getting some 4300K ones for a while just to see what kind of difference there is :)

changing the colour temperature shouldn't change the light output whatsoever, but your eye responds differently to different colour temps, so it may appear brighter.

Sorry for the pedantry :)

That's not actually true, I believe the optimum is 4300K, with light output (in lumens) decreasing as the temperature gets higher.

Cheers for the link ekky, but at £50 a set, I think I'll stick with the ones I've got :)

• 3 weeks later...
changing the colour temperature shouldn't change the light output whatsoever, but your eye responds differently to different colour temps, so it may appear brighter.

Sorry for the pedantry :)

That's not actually true, I believe the optimum is 4300K, with light output (in lumens) decreasing as the temperature gets higher.

Cheers for the link ekky, but at £50 a set, I think I'll stick with the ones I've got :)

Does it really? I may be talking out of my arse because the colour temp ranges I used to deal with where much smaller than quoted here. Where did you see that?

Stolen directly from the page aido linked to:

"As you can see, with all other factors remaining constant, the brightness of an HID bulb declines the higher up the color index you go. Vision, a Korean bulb manufacturer, makes an 8000K bulb, which they used to advertise on Acura-Forums as 2000 lumens bright. This is barely a marked improvement over halogens, and will produce more glare and eye fatigue than it is beneficial. 4100K has been proven through tireless independent research by the Germans, Japanese, and Americans to be the most functional, truest white and thus the brightest possible color temperature (ceteris paribus).

Every car manufacturer in the world (including BMW and Audi) uses none other than a standard 4100K gas-discharge bulb. No exceptions. The reason being is that 4100K is daylight white in color and produces the same color visible light as direct sunlight. This is least fatiguing functional color on the eyes and produces the most comfortable contrast on the road."

It goes on to say that HID lights look blue tinged when you see them coming towards you or in the mirror, but that is because you're only seeing the very edge of the beam pattern as the light is directed downwards by a lens. At the very edge of the lens you get a prism effect which tends to flick blue-purple light upwards - it's this you see, not the actual colour temperature of the light. If you were to gaze directly into the main beam, ie squat down in front of the car and look directly into the lights, you'd see only bright white rather than blue.

So 4100K is the optimum temperature, no higher...