Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How To Top Up Coolant?

feeblebob

Evening All,

Just checked levels on my 2001 GS300SE and the main issue is the coolant is reading near the low mark. When I open the pressure cap on top of the radiator, it seems to be full to the brim and therefore I cannot top up through there. The cap on top of the resevoir will not come off, it will twist either way but the pipe attached to the top of it limits the amount it will turn and will not come off. How do I top it up?

As an aside, the oil dipstick is showing signs of gunk on there, I'm assuming there is some tarnish/sludge/general crap in the oil. Clearly, an oil change is required but do any of you recommend an oil flush, e.g. Forte. When I have bought cars in the past, I have changed oil with inexpensive but lean oil and added Forte, driven for 50 miles, changed the oil again, driven for 200 miles, added Forte again for the last 50 miles and changed the oil again for top spec stuff. I imagine many may feel it over the top but seeing the sludge especially on the dipstick has bothered me, I like keeping my cars nice.

The auto tranny fluid is up to level and still a decent shade of red, which i understand from previously-owned autos is a good sign, there are some traces of dark but it doesn't look at all 'burnt'.

Any advice welcome :winky:

Hi,

At least there is still coolant in the header tank,so ive got a little time for now.

But the header coolant tank cap will have to be removed at some point and replaced,best to buy another first then some how get the old cap off even if you have to break the cap to get it off.Just be careful not to damage the header tank.

The other thing to check from what you say is to take the oil cap off the engine,its on the top of the engine where you put oil in.If you look under the cap and find the same colour sludge then the reason your using coolant is because the engines headgasket is leaking and will need to be replaced.Because coolant is getting into the oil and over time will damage the engine :excl:

Hope thats of help.

Good Luck..

Chips.

There's no mayo in there so I'm not worried about that, it's just to clear the oilways and flush some of it out the sump. I feel the head gaskets fine. Is there no way to top up the coolant wihout breaking the cap and buying a new one?

Hi,

The only other way of topping up the header tank would be to.....When the engines cold and not been started take the pipe off that comes out the bottom of the header tank and goes into the top of the radiator.Take the pipe end off that goes into the neck of the rad top and then in the pipe going back up to the header tank,stick a funnel in the pipe and hold it higher than the header tank and top it up that way.

Its more than likey be quicker to break the old cap off and screw a new one on and top up.

As for the oil cleaner stuff i stay well away of that as it can cause problems on older engines.