Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Performance Changed At 10,000 Miles

My car hit the magical 10,000 miles on ODO the other day, and I have to say this - there is a disctinct change/step up and improvement in performance from the moment it went over 10k. I was driving along in 5th at 70, and then felt the car suddenly "wanting" 6th....so I changed up....

About 30 minutes later I noticed I was using 6th where I would only be comfortable in 5th - even down to 65mph. I thought it was strange...Got to my destination and changed from Trip to ODO (so as to record Business mileage) and noticed I'd gone to 10150 miles...

I also noticed something similar when it hit 5000 miles too, as others had.

The car will now return high 40's on the motorway/run's - it's a totally different animal and much more responsive. In fact on the move it feels closer to a D3....though not as "sharp". What's more amazing is that I used Supermarket fuel when I filled up on the way home - and the fuel economy is now on a par with Shell or BP standard...

What's happened? Have others experienced this, or noticed it?

The car will also sit much much more comfortably in 6th at 70, though the mirror still shakes...

Just the change from 9999 to 10001 and the difference was immediate....am I dreaming? The car is now fantastic...

Ahem... Why would Lexus use miles in defining the moment for the step up? :shifty:

Seriously these step ups are SOP for Toyota. I mean Lexus. Well, both. Hope it happens on mine, too. I've been happy with the responsiveness from day one, so a couple of step ups would make it really great!

Ahem... Why would Lexus use miles in defining the moment for the step up? :shifty:

Seriously these step ups are SOP for Toyota. I mean Lexus. Well, both. Hope it happens on mine, too. I've been happy with the responsiveness from day one, so a couple of step ups would make it really great!

I imagine if Lexus did, then the reasons would be obvious......

Good news htough Jamboo, I read some of you're other posts where you weren't best satisfied with the 220d. Think like most cars upto a certain level they run better when things have losened up a little...

Be interesting to see if others agree with you mate.

I imagine if Lexus did, then the reasons would be obvious......

Good news htough Jamboo, I read some of you're other posts where you weren't best satisfied with the 220d. Think like most cars upto a certain level they run better when things have losened up a little...

Be interesting to see if others agree with you mate.

Cheers - like I say - I could be dreaming, but the journey was much better on the way home and the car felt different....even with heavy M25 traffic I still managed 46.8mpg...which is amazing. I know for a fact it would have struggled to get 42mpg at that rate.

I do recall now Coventry Lexus did say wait until 10,000 miles, and you'll see a huge improvement.

My car has just hit 42k and didn't notice any big steps but I have to say things have settled down now and it is a very pleasent place to be. For the 40k service I had a 250 auto for the day and boy do I wish I bought one of those!! :tsktsk:

I had exactly the same happen to me, 10k miles was a step change as was 15k. Very strange, more responsive, smoother with no morror shake at all now apart from the stereo and also added a few to the mpg. I put it down to the service though rather than an in built change, it could be an in built run-in period so as not to stress the engine when new.

My recent injector work and remap has also changed the mpg and amazingly the car refuses to drop below 40mpg as an average (tank or normal setting) with pretty much 90% short trips! Can't wait till I hit 30k miles to see what happens then, only 6k to go :whistling:

My car hit the magical 10,000 miles on ODO the other day, and I have to say this - there is a disctinct change/step up and improvement in performance from the moment it went over 10k. I was driving along in 5th at 70, and then felt the car suddenly "wanting" 6th....so I changed up....

About 30 minutes later I noticed I was using 6th where I would only be comfortable in 5th - even down to 65mph. I thought it was strange...Got to my destination and changed from Trip to ODO (so as to record Business mileage) and noticed I'd gone to 10150 miles...

I also noticed something similar when it hit 5000 miles too, as others had.

The car will now return high 40's on the motorway/run's - it's a totally different animal and much more responsive. In fact on the move it feels closer to a D3....though not as "sharp". What's more amazing is that I used Supermarket fuel when I filled up on the way home - and the fuel economy is now on a par with Shell or BP standard...

What's happened? Have others experienced this, or noticed it?

The car will also sit much much more comfortably in 6th at 70, though the mirror still shakes...

Just the change from 9999 to 10001 and the difference was immediate....am I dreaming? The car is now fantastic...

Hi all,

I have a Black 220 SE +MM with 13k (and counting) on the ODO. We cover 100 miles per day, 2 x 40 mile runs on the motorway at 75 - 80mph, and some round the doors stuff. The best we have seen is 37mpg, and the overall mpg is 35. This is a whole lot better than when the car had anything up to 7 of 8 k on the clock.

Cant say i have noticed a better performance, but have now got a rattly dashboard (Lexus have tried twice to fix it) and even a squeaky drivers seat (my wife and i only drive the car and together we weigh less than 21 stone)

Cant stop thinking about the 320 M sport i had test drove...... but would miss the toys.

Cant say i have noticed a better performance, but have now got a rattly dashboard (Lexus have tried twice to fix it) and even a squeaky drivers seat (my wife and i only drive the car and together we weigh less than 21 stone)

Cant stop thinking about the 320 M sport i had test drove...... but would miss the toys.

I have driven loads of beemers - from 5 series to 3 series, and to be honest (though I come from a family of die hard BMW ans) I have to say that from a driving perspective, there is nothing in it really -

The Beemers (3 and 5) feel so poised and threadable through bends - but it's actually the steering that sets them apart. The ride is worse than the IS's and the overall handling no better IMHO. It's the feedback the steering gives you which makes it feel more a drivers car. Lexus need to get that element more "tuned" and it would topple the beemer...

Other than that - if they've had 2 go's at yer rattles already, then you need to speak to the Dealer Principal - Lexus will allow a car to be fixed twice, if a third visit is necessary then they should get Lexus Technical involved - that's what I was told when my car was rattling...Mine is due for it's 3rd visit too - work/time allowing - I'm going to have to get them to take that foam at the base of the screen out and do it properly...

Back on topic - the engine feels so much smoother, and when I'm in 5th at 65-70, it decidedly feels livelier and "wants" sixth. I still get the "thrum" and a little vibration, but it's 50% better and will comfortably take 6th at 70 and still be able to accelerate too....

The engine could have been very tight - and that's cool. It's also possible that the ECU is programmed to run a little richer during running in . Who knows...

Oil Consumption has slightly increased, but it's no where near as oil thirsty as my old PDi 130 Audi A4 was between 5-10000 miles, and I'm keeping a close eye on it...it seemed to guzzle a litre in 3500 miles (from 5500 - 9000) but since has taken a teaspoon full...(now on 10,500)

All in all, things have taken a turn for the better from an MPG perspective. Town driving only see's low 30's regularly, mixed driving is now consistently low-med 40's, and purely motorway runs are high 40's....acceptable!! I don't have to try too hard now...

Can't ask for anything more really from this car/engine combo now - that really is the best it'll give in my hands I think.

The 250 Auto is still too close from an economy point of view though :shutit: but that's for the future. I'm saving the penny's now...that RS4 is looming closer...just £47,599.99 more to go... :unsure:

PS - I drove a D3, and all I can say is that I was wowed by it...the fuel consumption was a steady 27mpg in town and 40 on a motorway/Dual Carriageway dash...but the minute I goty back into the Lex, I didn't miss the D3 at all...It's completely changed my perception of the Lexus IS220d...positively

PS - I drove a D3, and all I can say is that I was wowed by it...the fuel consumption was a steady 27mpg in town and 40 on a motorway/Dual Carriageway dash...but the minute I goty back into the Lex, I didn't miss the D3 at all...It's completely changed my perception of the Lexus IS220d...positively

Sorry for my ignorance but what's a D3?

A D3 is A BMW Alpina. I test drove one before I bought my IS250 SE and I have to say it was superb to drive but as usual with beamers you don't get all the toys. The D3 Alpina styling is fab in my opinion and so is the drive but as the lexus dealers said the BMW is no longer as exclusive a club as it used to be. what put me off buying one as well, the bmw dealer said you can't specify extras on the D3 either. hey ho each to his own.

A D3 is A BMW Alpina. I test drove one before I bought my IS250 SE and I have to say it was superb to drive but as usual with beamers you don't get all the toys. The D3 Alpina styling is fab in my opinion and so is the drive but as the lexus dealers said the BMW is no longer as exclusive a club as it used to be. what put me off buying one as well, the bmw dealer said you can't specify extras on the D3 either. hey ho each to his own.

That's correct - an Aplina version of the 320d, basic same engine but producing 197bhp, 0-60 7.4secs, and a claimed MPG combined of over 47mpg...not a bad car, and if you want rarity then I believe they will only sell between 100 and 150 per year...and it doesn't have a BMW badge on it :shutit:

[.and it doesn't have a BMW badge on it :shutit:

A positive thing to a certain extent.

I looked at the D3 now and I was really tempted, but I'm a die hard Lexus auto fan now - the smooothness (thought it deserved the extra "o") and driveability of the 250 Auto is just so addictive.

Why is it that the best diesels don't come in an auto...? I think that If there was D3 switchtronic I would have PEx'd in March... and if there was a IS220d Auto I wouldn't be looking at the D3 Auto....

The IS220d is better overall in manual form than a manual D3. One thing is for sure, there were no rattles, creaks, from the D3, and no vibrating mirrors...but no kit either. It all looked good and drove well, but it was tarted up 320d Si underneath...

[.and it doesn't have a BMW badge on it :shutit:

A positive thing to a certain extent.

I looked at the D3 now and I was really tempted, but I'm a die hard Lexus auto fan now - the smooothness (thought it deserved the extra "o") and driveability of the 250 Auto is just so addictive.

Why is it that the best diesels don't come in an auto...? I think that If there was D3 switchtronic I would have PEx'd in March... and if there was a IS220d Auto I wouldn't be looking at the D3 Auto....

The IS220d is better overall in manual form than a manual D3. One thing is for sure, there were no rattles, creaks, from the D3, and no vibrating mirrors...but no kit either. It all looked good and drove well, but it was tarted up 320d Si underneath...

I never got as far as driving the D3 - if Lexus did a 220D auto I would be very tempted but from what I understand Lexus really never wanted to do a diesel and are pinning their hopes on hybrid technology making it redundant. Anyway - 2 hors to go and I pick up my new one - can't wait.

Lucky boy...that feeling all over again...

They'll need small battery's if the current IS will become a hybrid, 'cos there won't be a boot at all otherwise...

PS - back on topic, i realised today how easily I could get the car into 3rd at low speeds, even below 20mph and the car pulls much cleaner, and 4th at 30 is now possible in most conditions in town

Much happier now - it sems to be acting like a "normal" car should - hoorah for running in!!!

Anyway - 2 hors to go and I pick up my new one - can't wait.

I hope everyone realised that was a typo - I'm a happily married man. :)

For everyone I know that is happily married that wouldn't have been a typo :P