Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

So How Many Is220s Are Off The Road At The Moment?

with a little under 3 months and 5k miles under its belt my is220d is now of the road. Apparently we have a fifth injector failure and catalyst problem. This is a 07 model so it looks like te age old problem is still there.

The dealer says parts wont arrive until June 20th.

The best of it is that there are 6 other cars at the dealer with the same fault.

Not bad for a 30K car.

with a little under 3 months and 5k miles under its belt my is220d is now of the road. Apparently we have a fifth injector failure and catalyst problem. This is a 07 model so it looks like te age old problem is still there.

The best of it is that there are 6 other cars at the dealer with the same fault.

Not bad for a 30K car.

I know it's no help to you 220D owners out there :tomato: but I'm just so glad I didn't even consider buying one....

how the car behaves with this type of problem?

how the car behaves with this type of problem?

vsc warning and car goes into safe mode.

I mentioned earlier that in Finland we've had this problem with the EGR valve reported on Toyotas with the same diesel engine. It seems that what we have come to know as the EGR valve, you are refering to as the fifth injector. Cultural differences, then.

This problem has brought on big feelings up here, because Toyota happens to be the number one seller in Finland. Therefore there has been a lot of cars going to safe mode and limping to service. The reason why I'm only talking about the Toyotas is that whereas Toyota sells like mad, Lexus has only been able to put a hundred or so IS diesels on the road. So it's kind of hard to know whether or not this problem is occurring in the Lex. Most likely it is, when it seems to be pretty common in the UK.

Anyway, I think this problem is big enough that Toyota and Lexus should have done a recall on it. The reason why they haven't, I believe, is that they're not sure if they have it sorted out yet. They have tried a slightly different injector and the software update was aimed, among other things, at making the safe mode trigger a little less intrusive. Still the problem seems to be there.

So the problem is very persistent. I'm sure Toyota and Lexus are working to solve it but it has already taken them too long IMHO. I just hope they get it right before my Lex comes across this. :crybaby:

One final thing. A common belief up here is that the problem can be avoided to a degree by avoiding idling. Also pushing the engine hard every now and then is believed to keep the injector clean and running. Worth a notice, I think.

Not bad for a 30K car.

My IS220D has just went into the dealers for the third time in 3 weeks. It has already had the 5th injector changed. I really don't know what else I'm supposed to do here, and the guys in the garage seem dumbfounded, not to mention very busy with other 220D's.

The best of my situation is that this is my first 'prestige' car. I always had my heart set on a 3 series. i was swayed by a good deal I was offered as well as the IS looking so good, Lexus reputation, and all the toys you get even in the base spec. I loved the car first and had no regrets at all, I was glad I got it. It's now a love hate relationship. Everyone can understand the odd fault, it happens but 3 times in 3 weeks???? It actually has an effect on the time you lose with all the messing about with the RAC (replacement car), going back to the garage to collect it and the time you spend on the phone. I've probably lost half a day to a days work due to the problems with this - not to mention that it is infact, a Lexus. You put the key in your pocket and the car does the rest! That's how it was until I hit 10K anyway.

I had less issues with my R Reg vauxhall Corsa post 100K miles!!!

Anyway, rant over. On a more productive note - does anyone know if this issue can actually be fixed ?

Not bad for a 30K car.

My IS220D has just went into the dealers for the third time in 3 weeks. It has already had the 5th injector changed. I really don't know what else I'm supposed to do here, and the guys in the garage seem dumbfounded, not to mention very busy with other 220D's.

The best of my situation is that this is my first 'prestige' car. I always had my heart set on a 3 series. i was swayed by a good deal I was offered as well as the IS looking so good, Lexus reputation, and all the toys you get even in the base spec. I loved the car first and had no regrets at all, I was glad I got it. It's now a love hate relationship. Everyone can understand the odd fault, it happens but 3 times in 3 weeks???? It actually has an effect on the time you lose with all the messing about with the RAC (replacement car), going back to the garage to collect it and the time you spend on the phone. I've probably lost half a day to a days work due to the problems with this - not to mention that it is infact, a Lexus. You put the key in your pocket and the car does the rest! That's how it was until I hit 10K anyway.

I had less issues with my R Reg vauxhall Corsa post 100K miles!!!

Anyway, rant over. On a more productive note - does anyone know if this issue can actually be fixed ?

Dealer told me the part won't be here till the 21st June. I've already had the 5th injector change, so they say anyway (on the 2nd visit)... Now i'm getting another one (third visit). I feel like there taking the ***** being honest, i'm basically driving a vauxhall for the price of a Lexus aswell... And the garage still don't seem to have a clue if it will be fixed...

I got an email from Lexus/Toyota customer relations saying they would contact me shortly (after me complaining / going on a rant), but nothing. That was couple of days ago. I did tell them that the customer relations side of it was fine, it was the car / manufacturer that seemed to be the problem... I doubt I will hear from them...

This is deffinitly the last time i'm going through this. I hope it can be fixed bcause i do love the car when it works....