Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I Came So Close To Stacking My Car!

So, I am parallel parked on a busy main road, it is a common place to park outside this parade of shops. To get out of these spaces you do have to get a move on.

When I came out to my car, someone had parked quite close to the front and the back of the car. I got in the car, flapped out the mirrors and a rather nice motorist on the main road flashed me to pull out, I was not quite ready to I rushed the car into reverse and whilst backing up enough so I could swing the car out I quickly put the car to full left lock, then once ready to pull out, I fully turned the steering all the way to the right to swing out, waved the car for letting me out and put my foot down to nip out the gap!

No problems there...

Only as I pulled out the gap, I had to turn my steering back to the left to pull me into a straight course on the main road, suddenly my steering went rock solid! Like the power steering had totally failed, I was not ready for this at all and almost mounted the opposite pavement! In a split second I come off the power, yanked the steering and it suddenly freed up, jeees it made my heart skip a few beats.

I have had this before, if I am doing tight, quick manouvres, the steering seems to go stiff.

Be warned, this is scary when it happens at just the wrong place.

Has anyone else had this?

It's one ofthe problems with Electronic Variable speed power steering...happened on mine once!! But only when I was trying a complicated fullish lock quick getaway...like you...

It's at those times you wish you were wearing cycle clips...or brown pants!!

It was a regular occurence on our Honda Jazz!!!!

Thought we could of had a new IS bang then....Topic being in 220d 250 section....

Even so, its not nice to hear of any Lexus having near misses! Can't say as ive ever had this problem. Will give it some thought if im gonna do a quick monouver.

Thing is, Im not the best at parking my IS so people who insist on going as close to the front and rear make it a nightmare for me!

It's one ofthe problems with Electronic Variable speed power steering...happened on mine once!! But only when I was trying a complicated fullish lock quick getaway...like you...

It's at those times you wish you were wearing cycle clips...or brown pants!!

It was a regular occurence on our Honda Jazz!!!!

LOL about the cycle clips!

Yeah, it is just amazing how heavy it goes!

I have to confess, if I had a proper hold, ten to two, of the steering wheel I would have probably recovered it better, but all the same, when you are not ready for it, it makes you jump!

I will respect the car in that instance a little more next time!

The closest to a "near miss" I had was when I'd only had the car a couple of days.

I live just off a dual carriageway and to get to my house, you have to do a U-turn in a cut-through in the central reservation when coming out of town.

In my old (petrol) car, you just indicated right and if nothing was coming in the opposite direction, tug the steering wheel to the right in 2nd gear and perform a smooth arc to travel down the opposite side.

1st time in the Lexus, tried to do the same thing. 2nd is too high a gear, the thing stalled on me with car stuck in the middle of 2 lanes of traffic and cars bearing down on me. Fortunately had the foresight to dump the clutch to let it coast to the far side of the road with me desperately searching for the non-existent key to restart it whilst tugging on the wheel as the power steering had gone.

Before I could do the manoeuvre in one sweeping arc, now I have to slow right down and come to a practical halt and put it into 1st.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links