Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi.

My 2001 GS300 se seems to have a bit of a problem under braking. If I am driving towards a roundabout at 60mph approx and slow down normally, then about three of four seconds into braking I can feel a slight shudder through the steering wheel. It did have a service in Dec 2006 (and a damn big and expensive one at that at Lexus, £1200 :sick: ) and they said the front discs would need changing by the next service but I get the feeling they will not hold out that long. Does this problem with the judder through the steering wheel go along with knackerd discs?

Hi.

My 2001 GS300 se seems to have a bit of a problem under braking. If I am driving towards a roundabout at 60mph approx and slow down normally, then about three of four seconds into braking I can feel a slight shudder through the steering wheel. It did have a service in Dec 2006 (and a damn big and expensive one at that at Lexus, £1200 :sick: ) and they said the front discs would need changing by the next service but I get the feeling they will not hold out that long. Does this problem with the judder through the steering wheel go along with knackerd discs?

I would say its a reasonable assumption, if they are down to min thickness they would be more prone to warping, mine are down to min, just ordered replacements. Havent got the judder but the braking is not very good and they had new pads 3k ago. Checking for warping is done with deflection gauge, most people won't have one you could take the wheel off and spin the disc and if its bad you might see it by eye. I would go for new discs an pads as you need them anyway and hope that cures it.

Thanks for your opinions. I was out in it today. So long as your gentle with the brakes, then it doesn't happen. When you get them a bit warm, that's when the juddering starts. I think I shall be purchasing the Prolex-UK Stage 1 Brake upgrade kit alot earlier than I thought :sick: .

I am having the same problems... shuddering under braking!

I only changed my discs during the last service bout 8 months ago. Took it into Lexus here in Hong Kong and m total service bill was HUGE. Could there be any other reasons for the shuddering???

Mr brakes are defanitly getting worse. I am suprised at how quickly it is happening. I know it is a big car and will be heavy on the brakes. I would imagine that IS owners wouldn't have this much of a problem but RX and LS owners would have it worse. Will have to get into Prolex in the next couple of weeks and spend some pennies.