Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fast Cars To Be Banned?

aido

Taken from http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/225964/

Make sure you’re sitting down before reading this story.

There is a proposal in a report to the European Parliament calling for a ban on the making of cars capable of more than 101mph.

It's all part of a proposal to cut CO2 emissions from cars, and many of the silliest parts come from British Lib Dem MEP Chris Davies.

Davies states that 101mph is 25 per cent over the top speed limit in most EU countries.

However, according to a report by the BBC, he then goes on to note that "between 1994 and 2004 the power of new cars went up by 28 per cent, making them a lot heavier, and so increasing the amount of CO2 they put out, even though no country raised its speed limit to allow cars to use this increased power."

Now obviously this is utterly and totally wrong, but that won't prevent members of the European Parliament from voting on the proposed ban this autumn.

Obviously what has actually happened is that increased safety legislation (much of it from the EU), has increased the weight of cars. Power outputs have also increased.

Now that cars have beneficial safety features – airbags, pedestrian impact zones and the like – they are by necessity heavier than before. But what this has to do with top speeds, we're not sure, other than the fact that it takes greater effort to start and stop a heavier car than a lighter one.

But it's not just power and weight that have increased – car's braking systems and tyres have also improved (not least because EU legislation means that anti-lock brakes are now mandatory on new cars).

We're all for increased safety – such as the proposed standard fitment of ESP stability control – but to claim that banning the making of cars capable of over 101mph would create a dramatic reduction of CO2 is incorrect.

We can't help but think that, say, Mr Davies not flying from his Stockport base to Brussels every week would help a bit more.

Oh yes, and Mr Davies was also a big supporter of GM's decision to build the new Vauxhall Astra at Ellesmere Port in April.

"This is a fantastic reward for the commitment shown by everyone involved to keeping car manufacturing alive in Ellesmere Port," said Davies.

Quite right, but seeing as every single model in the current Astra range is capable of well over 101mph, if Mr Davies' proposal succeeds at the EU, there will be no new Astra.

:o

It wouldn't surprise me with some of the crap these guys come out with at times!

A lot of the time these guys just spout crap as they know it will get their names publicized, the way the green people are jumping nowadays I'm surprised it's taken them this long to realise.

If all cars did 70-80mph tops however even though it would mean that there would be reduced CO2 emissions it would also mean that the police wouldn't be able to fine as many people for speeding, guess they wouldn't want to take away the hand that feeds them :o

Same with the petroleum companies, if these powerful cars didn't exist then they wouldn't sell as much fuel, guess they'd all apply pressure at the highest levels to ensure this sort of bill could never make it through!

Plus there's always the fact it would also mean the government would have less tax coming in....

It's all business at the end of the day!

Japan has a 180km/h limit... so it's not totally out of this world.....

who gets to drive at over a 100mph anyway.... so if no car could go over a ton then whats to stop the manufactures from diverting the power to provide faster acceleration (different gearing for one), which would be great but defeat the whole purpose.... so i too think it's a non runner

Speaking as one who's been driving for almost 40 years, I can truly say that I'm glad I drove when I did. Despite the showrooms being full of lots of appealing performance cars and bikes, driving is becoming so restrictive that the fun of driving them is slowly being squeezed out it.

Having said that though, many of my first cars and especially motorbikes only did around 100 mph top whack. Anyone whose ridden an older bike will know that they are great fun to ride. In fact if you had a modern car or bike with Fireblade/Ferrari acceleration, which was governed to 100 mph, they would still be immense fun on the road. As long as the acceleration is still there, top speed on the public highway is academic.

So as long as the politicians govern top speed, rather than restricting horsepower, then I reckon most petrol heads could live with this, yes :question:

IanB :D

Sounds like the yanks...for years they had cars like the Pontiac Firebird TransAm, 6.6litre V8 that could do....91MPH!

Seriously, IanB's suggestion of BHP capping (not engine capacity - 'cos we'd all buy a RX8), or Co2 less that 175 has got to be the way to go, or a ruling that means every car must be a Hybrid (horrah for Toylexa)

To be honest, I think that 101mph cap is cool, I never go that fast anyway, but the C02 cap has got to be the most sensible one...

PS - they tried all this in Japan, and they have small cars, less than 700cc, that can really go. I'm sure that it's one of the reasons why Mazda sticks to rotary engines...

Cant see it happening in the UK.

although even if it does people will just de-restrict their cars.

Why? We would have said the same about congestion charging 10 years ago too....I think anyone who wants to drive over a ton on UK's roads needs their head examining, unless you're planning to take it onto an Autobahn...

Even then, it only take a high speed blowout to learn your lesson.

31 mph over the max national speed limit is enough to performs a safe overtake, so I'm for it!! Call me a party pooper :lol: , but there is no need for such high speed.

Also in Japan they have a 280bhp limit....

I thought it was just a gentleman's agreement that they would advertise them up to 280bhp, later on cars such as the Supra, Skyline, Aristo and Evo all went above the 280bhp figure even though they were advertised over there as 280bhp or less?

Is it even still in place now?

The European manufacturers, well BMW & Mercedes definitely seem to have gotten a little carried away in recent years with the numbers game!

That agreement is no longer in place, hence why you see cars like the is350 over there.

I have to say limiting top speed isn't that much of an issue, however i am a firm believer of if you can afford a car with 400bhp then why not. Also the government really needs to start the ball roll with these alternate fuels, is just me or have they really been dragging their feet with it ? Also how long will take before people start modding their restricted cars ?

You can expect all manner of cr8p to come from MEP's, they have to think up some rubbish to justify their existance!

It's the gravy train for failed politicians........ :tsktsk:

Well when they stop travelling 1st class everywhere on tax money or being driven around in big v8 powered cars i may start to think "hey this guy has a point", having said that i don't listen to hippies either :duh: One extreme to another i guess.

Japan has a 180km/h limit... so it's not totally out of this world.....

Sorry, but Japan has their cars restricted to 180km/h, but they're fastest speed limit is only 100km/h.

At least most of Europe has more realistic speed limits around the 120-130km/h mark.

Try driving at 100 or 110km/h for 10hours to travel between capital cities (Sydney home to Brisbane), damn boring!

Also, I know I have had to at least once in my life exceed 160km/h (100MPH) to get myself out of a dangerous situation.

Imagine you're stuck behind a slow Semi truck (can't remember if that's what you call them over there) on a single lane road (ie not dual carriageway). You pull out to overtake. When you get level with the front of the trailer, you discover that it's sitting behind another semi that's holding him up, but driving half on the shoulder so the following semi can see around. Meanwhile, there's now another semi coming the other way.

You need to make a split second decision. Either brake hard & try to slip back into the line of traffic, or accelerate past the both of them...

This situation might be a bit more difficult to come across over there as you have a lot more dual carriageways & shorter trucks (ours sometimes have 2 or 3 trailers), but sometimes, things can happen & you need to get yourself out of trouble.

I'd also like to know what they'd do about the older cars. I had a £35 Vauxhall Cavalier last year that did 132MPH & had 134k mile on the clock.

I think I'd be a bit annoyed if tonking down an Autobarn at 100MPH, only be passed by a beaten, rusty shed.

Try driving at 100 or 110km/h for 10hours to travel between capital cities (Sydney home to Brisbane), damn boring!

Also, I know I have had to at least once in my life exceed 160km/h (100MPH) to get myself out of a dangerous situation.

Imagine you're stuck behind a slow Semi truck (can't remember if that's what you call them over there) on a single lane road (ie not dual carriageway). You pull out to overtake. When you get level with the front of the trailer, you discover that it's sitting behind another semi that's holding him up, but driving half on the shoulder so the following semi can see around. Meanwhile, there's now another semi coming the other way.

You need to make a split second decision. Either brake hard & try to slip back into the line of traffic, or accelerate past the both of them...

Older readers will no doubt remember the petrol crisis in the 70's. when the UK government brought in a 50 mph (80 kph) blanket speed limit. Now that WAS boring! Also downright dangerous on motorways, particularly on a motorbike. I had to ride down the M6 a few days after the limit came in. Everyone on the road was observing the limit religiously. Imagine being the jam in a truck sandwich! I stood it for about 30 miles, then nudged it up to 70 and kept my eyes open. So much safer!!

In the UK we don't have such long trucks as you but while I totally agree with your desire to have some power in hand for overtaking, the traffic cops and Gatso's don't recognise the need to exceed the limit, despite encouraging people to overtake "smartly". I had personal experience of that some years back (unmarked police car hidden off the road) :tsktsk:

Cheers,

IanB :D