Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

F1 Season

Not a massive fan, but of what i saw yesterday it could shape up to be a very good season..

Although i did hear lewis being refered to as a young aerton Sennor (SP?). Isnt it a bit soon to be making those sorts of comparisons?

With his history so far I'd say he'll be better than Ayrton Senna or Michael Schumacher. He certainly made Fernando Alonso look foolish, and with the constant intervention of the safety car it was like he started the race from pole five times...once from a standing start and four times from rolling, and each and every time he pulled away from the pack...brilliant & faultless. Granted he's got a good car under him but he was putting in faster times than all the rest without falling off the track or hitting the walls. Just wish I'd put a few grand on him winning the drivers championship before the odds took a nose dive.

He may well win the championship, I hope he does, but I think it's far too soon to compare him to anyone else. We need a rain check until the end of the season to see if the curse of the "Inconsistent British Sportsman" hits him...like it seems to hit every other!

Having said that, apparently, Ron dennis has been nurchuring this talent for 9 years...so he must be good...at the moment we've only really seen him play one game...unlike Scumi who could drive the socks off the car in the dry, wet, etc...that's what made him so great.

I used to watch F1 alot, including the middle of the nighters, then it all got boring and for the last 6 years I've only seen a 6 or so races (3 this year). This season seems a bit better, though it looks likes a Mclaren come back and a Mclaren win all the way (driver 1:2 and constructors).

I think Toyota need to light a fire under Ralph Schumacher and get that mota running...

And I do think Alonso lost the plot....but next race he will be on the money to win that race...I'm sure that there could be "something" in the contract (verbal of course) that if he has a chance of winning, then he will. That's what I would want as number one (and reigning champ) driver...Hamilton will need to out quali him and stay ahead under his own steam...which means that if he does become champ he will have really really earnt it

He may well win the championship, I hope he does, but I think it's far too soon to compare him to anyone else. We need a rain check until the end of the season to see if the curse of the "Inconsistent British Sportsman" hits him...like it seems to hit every other!

You need to look at his history from the age of nine and not make some kind of judgement based on the season so far. He was exceptional in karts, just like Senna and Schumacher, but he has performed better through all of the subsequent formulaes ...and that's in all weathers too...he hasn't just jumped into a F1 car without doing his apprenticeship. He has benefited more than most from Ron Dennis's stewardship, but again he got that himself by making an approach to RD at an award ceremony so top marks to Ron for recognising his talent from so early an age and having the faith to bring him along.

Bet Bernie is rubbing his hands with glee as it's promoted the sport in the US more than anything else...they're comparing him with Tiger Woods.

Absolutely right - when you look at it that way, he is destined for greatness. At Monaco he was driving the car just like a Kart - the last time I saw that was with Jean Alesi in the Ferrari - and Lewis wasn't ashamed to say that he'd hit a few barriers at the end of the race...good on him - deserves all the success the sport offers him.

Finally someone who might win the BBC Sports Personality on Merit... :P

What an amazing drive by Hammers

I thought Alonso would be back, and he was until Lewis stole pole - some good wheel to wheel stuff, but still those Mecalrens were too good...

Though Alonso tried so hard, he couldn't jump him. It was a better race than the lastb one, but the American's will have gone to sleep after the first pit stops...they're used to seeing the Pace car come out half a dozen times at the brick yard, and some how F1 cars look so tiny coming down the straight...I'll never forget watching Mansell there in '93, though he didn't win at the Indy 500 race he drove so well that year - better than he ever did in F1...

Anyway - well done Lewis. F1 Champ in the reckoning :winky: