Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Apple's Safari Browser Now Available For Windows

aido

Well apple just released a beta version of their Safari browser for the Windows platform - you can try it out here:

http://www.apple.com/safari/

Have to admit I prefer Camino over on OSX, but I'll be trying this on the work laptop tomorrow - in their tests they're saying it's quite a lot faster than anything currently on Windows but we'll see :)

A stroke of genius.

Despite the amount of time spent discussing Leopard in the keynote, it's clear to me that Leopard is not really the main event at the show, nor is it the primary platform that apple is really pushing going forward. No, that honor goes to Safari, Apple's Web browser, and its underlying rendering technologies. During the keynote, Jobs made two Safari-related announcements. First, apple released a beta version of Safari for Windows, and this Web browser product is now available for free download. Jobs claimed that Safari already has about 5 percent market share on the Web, third behind Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE) and Mozilla Firefox. But I don't think shipping a Windows version of Safari has anything to do with market share, per se. No, Jobs has something more dramatic in mind for Safari.

That's because Safari now sits at the center of Apple's plan to support third party developers who want to create iPhone-compatible applications. This was the second Safari announcement: Previously, apple had said that it would not open up the Iphone to developers due to security concerns. But at his WWDC keynote, Jobs revealed that apple would in fact allow developers to create near-native Iphone applications that run on top of, you guessed it, Safari. These applications will use Web 2.0 technologies like Ajax and will look and feel almost exactly like the native Iphone applications that only apple is allowed to create.

Now you can see why apple porting Safari to Windows is so important: Most Iphone developers, like most Iphone users, will be running Windows, and not Mac OS X. And for them to create Iphone applications, they will need a version of the Iphone runtime environment. That environment is Safari. If apple can get even a small percentage of Windows desktop users and all Iphone users to adopt Safari, it will have created a next-generation Web-based computing platform that is far more compelling, and has a potentially larger user base, than the PC market itself.

It's an astonishing strategy. And you read about it here first.

lol and that's a copy and paste from nearly every apple site that reviewed the keynote last night :P

Interesting times, they just need to be able to persuade people to buy these first at the price point they're coming in at!

I'm just waiting for the new iMac to be announced.

Prefer firefox to safari myself, even when using a mac.

I have both as I find Firefox is better at setting up sales on eBay, but prefere the Safaris' simplistic look.

Gonna download this now, give it a whirl on the works PC B)

Using it right now - its a bit grey around the edges - open 4 or 5 child windows and they sort of blur into each other using the installed colours

Dunno, I'll play with it for a while and see, must say Firefox is my browser of choice

We'll see.................

<edit>

Must say I quite like the blue colouring in the address line for page status.

Status bar is as the top bar - just grey and small at 1280/1024

The Safari window hogs the screen when maximised, you cant show the taskbar with the mouse if you have it hidden without hitting the windows key

AND WHY CANT YOU STRETCH THE WINDOW USING ANY EDGE?????? I know thats how Macs work but ITS NOT HOW WINDOWS WORKS

Having the subwindow close x at the left instead of the right is just confusing - especially when its all just different shades of grey

</edit>

You Mac boys want to try Camino, much better than Firefox on OSX, give it a whirl from www.caminobrowser.org - uses the same Gecko engine but is designed from the ground up to be a lightweight OSX client, I find it loads better than Firefox on OSX, it's a bit crap that!

Have to admit I tried the beta out today on the works machine, blazingly fast for intranet stuff but it crashes out everytime I try and get it to do NTLM authentication to a proxy server or any internal systems that require authentication, heard a few people saying that they had the same so guess it's just a problem with this version of the beta :(

Working nicely now I can try it quickly on a direct connection :)

Very quick indeed - just as quick on this machine as when I ran Safari on OSX on it :D

Now if only they'll sort out that proxy issue nice and quickly I'll be laughing :)

You Mac boys want to try Camino, much better than Firefox on OSX, give it a whirl from www.caminobrowser.org - uses the same Gecko engine but is designed from the ground up to be a lightweight OSX client, I find it loads better than Firefox on OSX, it's a bit crap that!

Have to admit I tried the beta out today on the works machine, blazingly fast for intranet stuff but it crashes out everytime I try and get it to do NTLM authentication to a proxy server or any internal systems that require authentication, heard a few people saying that they had the same so guess it's just a problem with this version of the beta :(

Is there anyway on this camino to get RSS feeds on the bookmark bar like in firefox?

Safari 3.01 Beta has been released. Fixes some security holes (In the Windows version naturally...)

Tried Camino years ago but couldn't be arsed to keep updating with all the nightly builds. It's OK.

I love the Tab functionality in Safari and the Bookmarking, especially autoclick where many bookmarks of your choice open in multiple tabs with just one click. Snapback is useful too.

Safari on Windows is many times faster than IE. On my XP machine anyway.

Initial reports indicate Safari use has almost doubled since release.