Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

*boink*

So just went away for a beautiful weekend camping in Wales, in the process discovering that the boot space in the IS is not as generous as it looks!

Anyway went for a pub lunch on Sunday, and whilst trying to reverse park into a space, backed me beauty into a bollard.

540482178_5469870e2b_m.jpg

Now the paint isn't cracked or broken but there is a distinct indentation when viewed from above and a little hillock where the plastic is creased in. The bumper was well dusty when I took the photo so please excuse that.

The question is, is there an easy fix for this? can it be repaired or am I looking at a new bumper and paint job for it? What would you guys advise as the best and/or cheapest way to repair it?

Pete

First try "dents away", they are a franchise, I have used in the past. They pull the dent out. Sorry dont have a contact but a web search should do the trick. They will come to you.

Good luck

Bobby

where the high spot of the dent/crease is, you can reduce it by heating it with a hot air gun/ hair dryer and pressing it down with a flat surface. and if you can get access behind the bumper u can push the dent back out aswell.

IF YOU ARE GOING TO ATTEMT IT - BE CAREFULL NOT TO MELT THE BUMPER.

where the high spot of the dent/crease is, you can reduce it by heating it with a hot air gun/ hair dryer and pressing it down with a flat surface. and if you can get access behind the bumper u can push the dent back out aswell.

IF YOU ARE GOING TO ATTEMT IT - BE CAREFULL NOT TO MELT THE BUMPER.

I was thinking about doing this as I have a hot air gun at home, but its a risky strategem I think. Also can I get my hand up behind the bumper without removing it?

On the dent away front I found this guy

Telephone: 07725263417

Covers: Dents.

Birmingham & West Midlands

Miracle Man Dent Removal

Dent Removal In Birmingham & West Midlands

Free Estimates Fast & Friendly Service

At Your Place Of Work Or Home

Prices Starting From Only £15 Per Panel

Does anyone have any experience of him? £15 seems cheap to me.

The question is, is there an easy fix for this? can it be repaired or am I looking at a new bumper and paint job for it? What would you guys advise as the best and/or cheapest way to repair it?

Pete,

If it's any help my daughter had a similar (probably larger) dent in the plastic bumper of her Corsa after reversing into a granite boulder (don't ask :shutit: ). I removed the bumper from the car and heated the area with an hot air blower which was more of an electric space heater, so temperature didn't get too hot. The dent pushed out without too much effort and there's no evidence of it ever being there. even the scratch marks polished out.

Prices Starting From Only £15 Per Panel

Does anyone have any experience of him? £15 seems cheap to me.

Think it will be more than £15 mine was about £35 for a small ding on the door, but my man in Aberdeen got it out with no marks left.

if u cant get your hand up behind the bumper, you can allways use something like the plastic end(handle) of a screwdriver, and gently push it out.

..its a easy repair too do, but you must take your time and not get the plastic to hot as it will loose its shape.

ive done loads of them, not on a is200 though.

Dent Devils have had rave reviews over on TOC Website here and they have people based all over the country

Failing that Dent Masters (think its them) will be at JAE and offer some great show deals and do an excellent job

yes erm thanks bazza. I was planning on holding the gun further away so as not to strip the paint *sigh*

tbh I don't feel brave enough to give it a go so I might get a dent expert in.

thats ok :lol:

i meant to add : if you use a hairdryer it is far safer and its surprising the heat they can give

:crybaby:

Phew, got it to work..........

How about this then..........do you dare !!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/501379/remov...with_airduster/

I guess the laws of physics work logically but the big question is who is going to be brave enough to give it a go :lol:

Don't try this on plastics :crying::crying: I've tried it on small dints in metal and it doesn't always work...OK for anything above a couple of inches in diameter, depending on metal thickness, panel structure and what's behind the dent (insulation, wiring stiffening etc).

That low a temperature on plastics would make them brittle...you need to warm it up to be pliable not cold enough to fracture :whistling:

so the top contender is a hairdryer and something to push it back out whilst hot.

Its gonna be the weekend before i can give it a go then.

I'll have a search for instruction to take the rear bumper off. If i can make something follow thebumper from the inside it would be better i reckon.

so the top contender is a hairdryer and something to push it back out whilst hot.

Its gonna be the weekend before i can give it a go then.

I'll have a search for instruction to take the rear bumper off. If i can make something follow thebumper from the inside it would be better i reckon.

Pete...you'll need more heat than you'll get from a hairdryer. Suggest you go with the heat gun as you first intended, at a suitable distance...surface needs to be hot to the touch, but not too hot to touch if you know what I mean, and get the bumper off and apply the heat on the inside.