Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

No doubt this has been done to death, but I'm new here so I'm sure you'll all set me right if it's too old hat.

I've owned 2 LS400s, a 1992 and 1999; the 1992 traded on 135,000 for the newer one. I've also owned BMW M535, Jag XJ40 (the square one), 1 MKIII XJ6, 1 Daimler Sovereign D6 1981. The Daimler I owned for 20+ years and was the nearest rival to the Lexus, and a newer Jag would maybe match it; but otherwise the Lexus is the best big saloon I've been in, let alone driven.

Would anyone say different? What's the nearest rival?

Anyone tried Rolls or Bentley? Old ones are amazingly cheap for what they are.

Nearest match would be an S500 from Merc or a BMW 745.

With the RR or bentley, don't be surprised with big (when i say big i mean BIG) repair bills. They are mechanically no match at all in anway for the Japanese and Germans

The S-class and 7 series compete well in terms of reliability, mechanical technology, finish, performance etc. The general consensus amongst people is that none of them is as quiet as a lexus ls, but each offers a different twist.

Nearest match would be an S500 from Merc or a BMW 745.
Audi A8 or S8, Jaguar XJ, VW Phaeton?
With the RR or bentley, don't be surprised with big (when i say big i mean BIG) repair bills. They are mechanically no match at all in anway for the Japanese and Germans
Hmm, what sort of thing? Is there any reason for them to go wrong? I'd be interested in ride comfort, smoothness, quiet, from those; not pace and handling.

Nothing to mind matches to the LS in terms of pure refinement...

A '91 - '97 Lincoln Town Car maybe. IMHO.

But that's assuming you wouldn't be embarrased to be seen in it!

Or the Maybach 57?

And let's not forget the Toyota Century (or in fact any of the true executive Japanese saloons which were never officially sold elsewhere).

Nothing to mind matches to the LS in terms of pure refinement...

A '91 - '97 Lincoln Town Car maybe. IMHO.

But that's assuming you wouldn't be embarrased to be seen in it!

Or the Maybach 57?

And let's not forget the Toyota Century (or in fact any of the true executive Japanese saloons which were never officially sold elsewhere).

Comparsion? (sic)

There isn't one! Certainly not a Lincoln Town Car!!

Talking to BMW/Merc owners often brings up complaints about things......quality not as good as they'd like it to appear!

Was going to post a pic of a Citroen DS, but file is too big!

Was going to post a pic of a Citroen DS, but file is too big!

How relevant is that? Skelton you should be sectioned!

Agree!

Wouldn't want to be a member of any club that would have me as a member? (Groucho Marx)

Like to be in my own section!

But the years I had a DS23, I always came out the door and thought " what a great looking car" (AND it went too! Owners manual said if you fitted (the lesser of the Michelin tyres,) 'don't cruise at speeds in excess of 100mph!' That's cruise!

But I DID drive one last year, a present for a friend's wedding, and was glad I had the LS! But still love the style of the DS!

OK. Todays topic!

I wouldn't swap the LS for any of the 'rivals'.

(And...I had a CX Turbo 2, too. Nice car!)

Hi All

WELL FOR MY 5P'S WORTH

I am lucky to have owned or driven some great cars and still own 4 merc's.

I have the occassional us of a BMW engined Bentley Arnage which I believe to be the next best thing to the Lexus. Of cource the downside is the cost of running such a car (one little badge on the side of the rear pillar was £100!) but the drive and presence is great.

The Bentley is far too big for a daily drive as I used it to go shopping and found it difficult to park in a multi storey car park etc etc

My Lexus LS400 whilst old is fantastic for doing most of the 50,000 plus miles a year I travel. I even seem to get around 29 to 31mpg which is second to non of similar age, cost etc.

In my humble summary and opinion the LS range of cars are the best kept secret in the world of large car driving providing great value and enjoyment to many of us.

lets keep these great cars going for years to come.

Here's looking forward to buying a 5 year old LS460.

Murph