Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Supaguard Again

I got my latest LS400 Supaguarded (before I joined here...) and (although very expensive) worked well, nice shiny car.

Put in through automatic car wash (you know, the ones with the huge flail-like devices which 'thrash' over the car - I know it's anathema to some here but bear with me...) and the pristine finish wasn't harmed. But washed the car myself and there are those tiny swirly scratches :tsktsk:. I used the Supaguard stuff in the wash, a sponge, hosed off, leathered the wet car. No polish.

I've now used some of the Paintseal Cream supplied, which has helped greatly but hasn't eliminated the scratches.

Did I do something wrong in my own washing of the car? What actions do you now recommend to get the perfect (to me, anyway) finish back, if I can?

I got my latest LS400 Supaguarded (before I joined here...) and (although very expensive) worked well, nice shiny car.

Put in through automatic car wash (you know, the ones with the huge flail-like devices which 'thrash' over the car - I know it's anathema to some here but bear with me...) and the pristine finish wasn't harmed. But washed the car myself and there are those tiny swirly scratches :tsktsk:. I used the Supaguard stuff in the wash, a sponge, hosed off, leathered the wet car. No polish.

I've now used some of the Paintseal Cream supplied, which has helped greatly but hasn't eliminated the scratches.

Did I do something wrong in my own washing of the car? What actions do you now recommend to get the perfect (to me, anyway) finish back, if I can?

It all gets very anoraky if you want to avoid swirls...This has been covered so many times... :whistling: you should really use the 2 bucket method fpor hand washing...The key thing to remember is not drag any silt around all over the car - that's what scratches the car's paint. Car was brushes are worst for this, and back street hand washes can be no better...

One clean bucket of water for rinsing the sponge EACH DIP and the other with loads lukewarm water and car shampers. ALways give the car a good blast of water before even starting to blast away any loose muck...

You'll always get some swirling - can't really be avoided IMHO :tsktsk: . The auto car wash is bound to have done more harm tthen you might have done yourself - though you'd just not have seen it. Also, you must must must have a clean Chamois - I prefer to use a Silicon Blade to get the excess water off forst, then a clean microfibre instead of the Chamois (I've binned all my chamois's...)

At the end of the wash and dry, every thing goes into the washing machine...except the buckets and the car...

Also, it's a good idea to cover the sponge with a microfibre when washing, or use a lambs wool mit - just make sure you really rinse it well in the cleaner bucket each and every time. Sponges can be a hazard - they hold grit in the pores...this does not help at all...

Keep the car well waxed using approved nonabrasive wax's (P21s carnauba, as an example), this actually helps to clean the car too - all muck and rubbish just washes easily away with too much elbow power...

Finally - check out www.autopia.org - everything and more is on there - a great bible of a website for detailers...that'll go into heaps of detail. What you have to remember s that any polish can easily remove your Supagard, but you can buy an entire kit from eBay for less than £30 if you shop around...and you can DIY and do loads of treatments...

It all gets very anoraky if you want to avoid swirls...This has been covered so many times... :whistling:
Sorry, I am new here and did search the site, honest guv.
You'll always get some swirling - can't really be avoided IMHO :tsktsk: . The auto car wash is bound to have done more harm tthen you might have done yourself - though you'd just not have seen it.
Well I sure didn't see it and I looked quite hard. And the swirls are curved just like it's my arm, not straight as they would be if the autowash did 'em.
Also, you must must must have a clean Chamois
:blush: hmm, betcha that's it. I thought the finish was supposed to be quite tough, and the chamois is an old one...

Anyway, thanks for your help.

You're welcome -

Lexus paint is notoriously soft (people keep saying that it's do with it being environmentally safe)... If you've got "arcs" following your hand movement then that has to be it mate.

Chamois can carry lots of grit too. Old chamoi's are OK, but you really need to keep then clean - so always risnse it well. If the car is really dirty, wash it twice - that sometimes helps, and start from top (roof) and wash downwards, using the 2 bucket method.

Like I say it ll gets anoraky

What colour is your car. If it is light and you are seeing the swirls, the damage could be caused by the sponge or chamois. If your car is dark I think these marks just as a Lexus thing i.e. the soft clear coat.

My dark green IS200 always seemed to show the marks although it had paint protection on it. My Silver IS300 is 5 years old and although it has swirl marks they are hard to see. I also have a 2007 charcoal IS250 that is less than 3 month old with paint protection on it. I only wash it with the after market paint protection, water and a super soft sponge and it already has light swirls on it. I attempt to lay the chamois down and lift it off, but I always seem to end up wiping the car and I think this is the issue. I suspect that the marks come from the rubbing the chamois when drying (rubbing) with the micro fiber cloth(s) that I use.

In the past I have used cutting polish to take back the swirls on the Green car (then re apply the protection polish) but within 3-6 months they seemed to reappear. I think paint protection (what ever brand) does do something but the clear coat is the only real issue with Lexus i.e. it is to soft.

I would be interested in any feedback from any owners who have had a harder clear coat put on their cars and the results.

I use the Flash thing with the polymer filter(whatever that means) but it seems to work when you filter dry the car it hardly leaves any water marks and avoids using chamois or cloths to much, when it's dry polish as normal.

I use the Flash thing with the polymer filter(whatever that means) but it seems to work when you filter dry the car it hardly leaves any water marks and avoids using chamois or cloths to much, when it's dry polish as normal.

I use that to and thinks its superb.

I have a Windsor Blue IS 220d and used to spend hours trying to chamois and polish it after washing just to remove water marks. Now its only a ten minute job and it looks just as good.

I just wash it as normal with a bucket of water with TFR, the rince with the hose and then apply the pure water from the flash then just leave to dry and hey presto streak free finish.

• 2 weeks later...
I just wash it as normal with a bucket of water with TFR, the rince with the hose and then apply the pure water from the flash then just leave to dry and hey presto streak free finish.

Same here - as mentioned on another post, "Instore" are doing the cartridges for 99p...I bought 6 the other day...should last a year or so... :whistling: