Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Any Plumbers In The House....

Can we have bit more Tony.

What sort of system have you ?

When did you last have it on ?

If yes to last Q, was all the other rads working ?

Is the pump running ?

Do you have hot water ?

Excuse the numpty here "me" I don't know what system it is (central heating?) It hasn't been on deliberately for weeks although the wife now tells me she has noticed this a few time recently.

The rads down stairs in particular the big one in the front room never get as hot as those up-stairs.

The pump is off?

Yes we have hot water......

Sorry Tony, do you have combi boiler ? (when you want hot water the boiler comes on)

Or back boiler, behind your fire ?

Or boiler, that gives you hot water in a tank in the loft, and also works your rads

On the big radthat dont get that hot, have you tryed putting the little key in the end of the rad to get any air out ?

Sorry Tony, do you have combi boiler ? (when you want hot water the boiler comes on)

Or back boiler, behind your fire ?

Or boiler, that gives you hot water in a tank in the loft, and also works your rads

On the big radthat dont get that hot, have you tryed putting the little key in the end of the rad to get any air out ?

Combi boiler rings a bell. In the winter i have bled the downstairs rads with little joy.... What concerns me now is the fact the upstairs rads are on although CH is off and the thermostat is set to 0?.... I might be on the news in the morning if this Lot goes up!!!!!

is it a fully pumped system or gravity fed

usually tell if the water doesnt require the pump to heat up

sounds like the boiler is heating up the water but a possible faulty valve (if fitted)is allowing heated water to rise to the upper levels

colder rad could be because of air , especially if its colder at the top than bottom, or it could be a matter of balancing the system

What do i know :lol:
I reckon the thermostat is up the creak.

surely all the rads would heat up then :unsure:

Not if the ones downstairs are full of air.

I'll get me coat :tomato:

Personally i'd call a plumber out.

I got a number 19295 but apparently this was the price £192.95.... I appreciate all the help team LOC.... Any idea how i can just turn the bloody thing off for now. Is it ok to simply turn off the power to the combi although everything is hot.... Will there be pressure issues.

where is paul fargo when you need him :whistling:

Indeed.... This is like the China syndrome.... I have turned off the CH+HW in the control panel. Thermostat is at 0 but the combi is still alight heating something up.... The rads feel cooler but i cannot turn off the combi?

I agree with Scorps01 that the thermostat is shot. If the thermo is set to 0 on the boiler itself (i.e. the main thermostat) and if the boiler is still heating water then the two definitely aint communicating.

As for the upstairs being hot and the downstairs less so, I think this is a separate issue. Are the radiators downstairs much older than the ones upstairs do you know? If you have had to bleed the downstairs rads often it well may be indicative of faulty rads. After all, they do have a finite lifespan and they do deteriorate with age.

However, having said all that I'm not a "certifiable" plumber, so glean what you can from this.

Good luck. Hope everything gets sorted for ya soon.

Indeed.... This is like the China syndrome.... I have turned off the CH+HW in the control panel. Thermostat is at 0 but the combi is still alight heating something up.... The rads feel cooler but i cannot turn off the combi?

Sounds like the control panel is not communicating with the boiler at all! Has any of the wiring come lose behind the casing? Don't be afraid to open the front up but do be careful about where you poke and prod.

Sounds like the control panel is not communicating with the boiler at all! Has any of the wiring come lose behind the casing? Don't be afraid to open the front up but do be careful about where you poke and prod.

I turned everything back on this morning and the rads stayed cool? I should have an engineer hear today so with luck he can find the problem...

Thanks for your help everyone.... Top team.

• 2 weeks later...
Is the [problem resolved? If so, what was it?

They changed the stat and something in the combi. Seemingly the main rad downstairs needs replacing because it's partially blocked.... Personally i feel it was a fly by plumber blanket bombing but whatever it's working ok now!

Is it ok if I nick this thread....instead of creating my own?

Well....my mum & dad have been in there current house for about 10 months and they get boiling hot water from ther combi boiler in their bathroom and toilet but in the kitchen it takes an absolute age for hot water to come through and even when it goes it still might go cold again. They have had swale heating out to look at it but with no joy...they aren't really in any financial situation to pay for a new boiler.

Any ideas?

Oh the boiler is erm... da make begins with V having one of those days when you just can't remember anything.

It is a bungalow and the boiler is in the attic. The boiler runs of LPG.

Regards

Gary