Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Changing Standard Is200 6x9's?

Hey guys,

i just got an IS200 luxury handed down to me.

I had a really good sound system in my old car, but unfortunately it had to go with the car! :(

I am used to having a subwoofer, and i love good bass. but i was looking to make sacrificies and see what i can do to come to a happy medium.

I was told about the VIBE QB 6x9's which are apparently like "twin subwoofers".

Vibe Website - QB69 speakers

If i just took out the 6x9's that come in my lexus and swap them with these, do you think i will hear a noticeable difference, especially in bass.. or do i definately need to go the amp route and go all out :shutit: ?

Thanks,

Brad

Your biggest problem there is the shape of the things - they are described as "6x9 Rectangular", and you have a oval hole to put them in. The picture kinda backs up my theory. Square peg in a round hole rings a bell.

You could get a bit brutal on the rear shelf and cut it to fit, but being a saloon, and bearing in mind the window is really low, that has every oppurtunity to be a long and painful job. I had to use a socket set to get the original 6x9's out because of the lack of working space, let alone cutting the metal there.

It took me an age to do, but the Amp route is, in the end, the best bet.

Also, are you thinking of replacing the head unit? You'll need a facade plate and wiring loom adapter off eBay if you are.

Your biggest problem there is the shape of the things - they are described as "6x9 Rectangular", and you have a oval hole to put them in. The picture kinda backs up my theory. Square peg in a round hole rings a bell.

You could get a bit brutal on the rear shelf and cut it to fit, but being a saloon, and bearing in mind the window is really low, that has every oppurtunity to be a long and painful job. I had to use a socket set to get the original 6x9's out because of the lack of working space, let alone cutting the metal there.

It took me an age to do, but the Amp route is, in the end, the best bet.

Also, are you thinking of replacing the head unit? You'll need a facade plate and wiring loom adapter off eBay if you are.

Good point about the peg in a round hole. hahah

Im not too sure of my options. Definately do not want to change the head unit. Looks neat in there as it is... its a shame it doesnt play mp3's though.

How difficult would it be to add an amp to the original head unit, just for a sub? (the speakers are pretty good quality, and with the bass turned down, go pretty hard, so i guess just adding a sub would be pretty good). What would this entail?

Also do you think replacing the original speakers (i.e. the original 6x9's) with better aftermarket ones would make a significant difference, considering they would be running off the same amp as the stock one that comes with the car?

thanks

Replacing speakers with aftermarket one's will always make a difference, but you have to be really careful with the output you get from the standard head unit...

From what I have read here, there are 4 cables per 6x9 as standard (2 off +ve and -ve's), because they are effectively 2 different speakers per 6x9. They are at different ohm ratings (one pair at 4 ohm, one at 8 ohm, I think), so the amp is at risk of over heating if you use the wrong connections to your new speaker.

Do a search using the Search function, it should be able to explain more.

As for the standard head unit and connecting to another Amo, I think there is a pre-out ont eh head unit to do so, but as I never even considered doing this (my standard head unit was screwed) I have not researched it.

Again, run a search and it should pop up with something.

The rear speakers are designed specifically for the Factory Amp

The are set up to be bi-wired and are at 2 different impedences

and are not able to be replaced unless you use a different Amplifier.

See my install HERE

I have replaced the entire systen, head unit, speakers, amps etc.

If you only want to put a sub and amp in boot its fairly easy.

You will need to run the power lead from the Battery to the boot.

Look how to do this HERE

The you will need a Line-Level convertor to take the signal from the

rear 6x9 speakers (splice into the cable you can see inside the boot

attached to the underside of the 6x9's).. This is a bass only signal

as the mid/top end is another cable to the other part of the rear speakers

that runs inside the car, so you wont need a crossover.

You can get a Line-Level convertor (or RCA convertor) from your local

auto store.

There is plenty of people who will help you if u ask, gimmie a PM if I can be of any further help.

BTW where in Oz are ya ? I got rele's in Sydney, Port Stephens and mates in Melbourne.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links