Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Firstly, apologies that I've started this again: I've had the car since new (Mar 06), and whilst there were some initial problems and failings, I am very much more satisfied with the car and the dealership than ever before. Especially the dealership, whom I believe is the best dealership for any make of car I have ever used/owned.

Over the last 4-6 weeks, however, the rattles from the dash have started to appear again. It only seems to happen in the morning, and it does not sound like the speaker. I believe it's actually the "High Densitity Foam" fix that was applied to my car towards the end of last year. I believe it's given up the ghost!!

The rattles only usually last for the first 10-30 minutes each day, and then seem to totally disappear (largely) or become much more subdued. It sems to me that plastic expansion is to blame - I just can't think of what else it can be. They can be anythig from buzzing noises, to the old "Sugar cube in an empty takeaway Coffee cup" - if that makes sense...and when carrying colleagues I have to turn the MLS up...

Anyway, what I would like to know is whether anyone has had a more "invasive" fix applied, and what was done to the dash specifically and most importantly whether it has completely solved the rattling.

Anyone wth any suggestions before I book it in again? This will be the 3rd rattle visit, so I am expecting a Rolls Royce Standard of service...(actually a Lexus Standard of service) inclding a referral to Lex Technical...we shall see if the pledge works...!!

Anyway, what I would like to know is whether anyone has had a more "invasive" fix applied, and what was done to the dash specifically and most importantly whether it has completely solved the rattling.

Mine hasn't needed any fixes at all, still quiet as the proverbial. Covered a 450 mile round trip over the last two days and most of it with the Levinson system off, enjoying the silent travel. :) ...well apart from the low drone from the Tanabe system which wasn't there before :blush:

I bought my car in Dec 2005, just after the cars were released so it must have been one of the first batch off the production line. Since buying it and hearing about others problems I have been paranoid about rattles and every now and again if I hear something amiss I turn the MLS down to check. I have heard rattles on a few occassions but it has always been something else - keys in the glove box, briefcase lock but no rattles from the dash at all.

I really feel for those that have them. By the way I have a petrol car are the rattles confined to diesels?

To be honest after two services in the only problems have been:

• The Sat Nav reset itself once when I clicked Yes to accept the traffic avoidance information - never done it since
  • All alloys replaced under warranty after one had developed slight bubbling
  • Car needed complete respray on LHS after some scrote keyed it - still not got over that... :tsktsk:
  • New windscreen after it developed a crack
  • New drivers side mat replaced (under warranty)
  • Front number plate replaced (FOC) as it had a crack in it
  • Rear bumber resprayed after I hit a wall (I know I have parking sensors but I was not looking or listening!) :crybaby:
  • Two rear parking sensors replaced (under warranty) after paint started to chip off
  • The sound from my iPod would only come through one side (this was due to the aux cable being faulty so I bought a new one)

Nothing that I would see as major and most down to either waton vandalism or my own sheer stupidity :tomato:

I really feel for those that have them. By the way I have a petrol car are the rattles confined to diesels?

diesel cars vibrate a lot, so probably yes.

Well I have a IS250 SE MM and have had loads of problems with rattles. I got my car in Dec 05 and it has been in 6 times for rattles so far

• Centre Speaker Grill
    Behind the Satnav Screen
    Offside A Pillar
    Offside B Pillar
    Drivers Seat
    Passenger Seat

I have also has new alloys under warrany, and had to have the rear bumper and panels resprayed after the dealership messed up a scratch repair on the bumper.

I had been running rattle free for a few months, but now have two new rattles.

• The cover over the stearing column (just behind the stearing wheel) buzzes like hell. I've noticed that there is a lot of movement in this. Does anyone else have this?
    A knocking noise from behind Sat Nav screen when I go over bumps/small potholes
    Ohh, and my steering rack in creaking when making manouvers at low speeds (prob does it all the time, but just can't hear it)

All this really does spoil the enjoyment of an otherwise great car :angry:

I had the driver seat rattle and squeak, the speaker grill rattle and both have been fixed completely by Lexus Wolverhampton. Also alloys replaced due to corrosion. I've now got an occasional rattle from the glove box that opening it fixes so I'll have a look at this myself sometime and see if the door is loose.

I suspect that all these rattles are affected by either temperature or humidity or even both and that's why they don't happen all the time.

I suspect that all these rattles are affected by either temperature or humidity or even both and that's why they don't happen all the time.

Absolutely - I do blame dodgy design...there are too many plastic's of chalk and cheese grade everywhere...which all react differently to heat, humidity and "flexing". The bits where they meet is where most of the rattling occurs...

Everything from left knee on console creaks, to satnav surrounds, speaker grills, vents...

I bought my car in Dec 2005, just after the cars were released so it must have been one of the first batch off the production line. Since buying it and hearing about others problems I have been paranoid about rattles and every now and again if I hear something amiss I turn the MLS down to check. I have heard rattles on a few occassions but it has always been something else - keys in the glove box, briefcase lock but no rattles from the dash at all.

• The Sat Nav reset itself once when I clicked Yes to accept the traffic avoidance information - never done it since
  • Car needed complete respray on LHS after some scrote keyed it - still not got over that... :tsktsk:
  • Rear bumber resprayed after I hit a wall (I know I have parking sensors but I was not looking or listening!) :crybaby:
  • Two rear parking sensors replaced (under warranty) after paint started to chip off
  • The sound from my iPod would only come through one side (this was due to the aux cable being faulty so I bought a new one)

Nothing that I would see as major and most down to either waton vandalism or my own sheer stupidity :tomato:

whats the warranty on alloys?3 years? also why was the mat replaced under warranty??

whats the warranty on alloys?3 years? also why was the mat replaced under warranty??

I would guess the alloys are under warranty for three years.

The mat had worn badly where my heel rests for the accelerator. Mentioned it during the 20K service and when I picked the car up a new mat had replaced the old one. I am assuming replaced under warranty as I was not charged.

The mat had worn badly where my heel rests for the accelerator. Mentioned it during the 20K service and when I picked the car up a new mat had replaced the old one. I am assuming replaced under warranty as I was not charged.

Are you wearing stilettos when you drive? :D

Are you wearing stilettos when you drive? :D

Only at the weekends... :whistling: