Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2jz-gte Vvti Valve Adjustments?

skeet94

Hello there everybody,

As you've probably worked out by now I'm looking at doing a WHOLE lot of preventative maintenance (timing belt, tensioner, dampener pulley, sparks, oil, tranny drain AGAIN, new hoses/pipes, brakes, suspension, etc, etc).

Now what I'm wondering is do our engines need to have the valve clearances checked...? Or are our motor's non-intereference JUST like the NON-VVTI 2JZ-GTE's?

Thanks,

Mitul.

Hello there everybody,

As you've probably worked out by now I'm looking at doing a WHOLE lot of preventative maintenance (timing belt, tensioner, dampener pulley, sparks, oil, tranny drain AGAIN, new hoses/pipes, brakes, suspension, etc, etc).

Now what I'm wondering is do our engines need to have the valve clearances checked...? Or are our motor's non-intereference JUST like the NON-VVTI 2JZ-GTE's?

Thanks,

Mitul.

Don't fix it unless it's broken!

I changed my timing belt to HKS model, at around 40,000 miles. Just the only preventitive measure I've taken. Remember, if the timing belt is changed incorrectly, the car will drive OK for a few weeks then the engine will pop. So just that operation in itself is risky.

Spark plugs are type 7 or 8. I changed them about a year back.

You shouldn't need any new hoses or pipes unless they're fractured/leaking.

Best thing to do is change your oil regular (10W50 silkolene) and run proper RON100 gas (Optimax + octane booster). The car will last forever.

Thanks Yoshi, I've had the Power Enterprise belt sitting at home for a good three years now - the timing belt does NEED to be changed, as I'd rather it didn't just "snap" at a VERY inconvenient time. If the engine is interference, then I'll be looking at bent valves, etc if my timing belt snaps...so rather just get it done.

The transmission fluid, I'm hoping to get it drained and topped up (not completely though)...as I've got my Setrab ATF Cooler sitting under my bed waiting to go on. Same with the Oil Cooler (Setrab unit again) sitting under my bed :D.

The car does have 110,xxx miles (can't remember exactly how many at the moment), so I'd rather get all the hoses replaced as I'll be going BPU+++.

I'm currently using Tesco 99 octane fuel/Shell 99octane...when I do go BPU and Mine's ECU I'll be looking at picking up a progressive methanol injection kit...as the ECU does require a good amount of octane to increase timing to the stock maximum when running increased boost.

I'd just like to know if the engine requires valve adjustments though...?

Now what I'm wondering is do our engines need to have the valve clearances checked, or are our motors non-interference like the NON-VVTI 2JZ-GTEs?
Yes. All JZ valves are adjusted by shims, they don't have hydraulic tappets. They don't seem to go out of tolerance for a long time, though.

"Non-interference" has nothing to do with the valve clearance adjustment, it refers to what happens if the cam belt snaps. The non-VVTi is definitely non-interference, that is, the valves and pistons don't get intimate if the belt goes on holiday. I've been told that the VVTi is interference, although you may want to confirm that with someone who knows for certain.

Having said that, if the belt is changed at the recommended intervals, and you are not using aftermarket cam sprockets, it doesn't matter if it's non-interference or not :)

Now what I'm wondering is do our engines need to have the valve clearances checked, or are our motors non-interference like the NON-VVTI 2JZ-GTEs?
Yes. All JZ valves are adjusted by shims, they don't have hydraulic tappets. They don't seem to go out of tolerance for a long time, though.

"Non-interference" has nothing to do with the valve clearance adjustment, it refers to what happens if the cam belt snaps. The non-VVTi is definitely non-interference, that is, the valves and pistons don't get intimate if the belt goes on holiday. I've been told that the VVTi is interference, although you may want to confirm that with someone who knows for certain.

Having said that, if the belt is changed at the recommended intervals, and you are not using aftermarket cam sprockets, it doesn't matter if it's non-interference or not :)

Hi Gareth,

I actually meant "AND" where I said "OR" - thanks for the correction! :).

That's great news about the Valve Clearance's that's one thing that doesn't need to be done - gives me some spare cash - mind the expression now - YIPPEE!

As I understand it the car needs it's cambelt changed at around 60k miles...considering it's only another 10k odd miles away ... I may as well get it done.

Thanks again - really appreciate it! :).