Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Clutch Judder

doog442

I have clutch judder on an IS200 .

Ive read some posts going back a few years on here that state its a characteristic of the gear box/clutch and takes time to get used to.

Due to my job I get behind the wheel of up to 8 vehicles a day, various ages,from vaux to renault-no 'judder'!!if there was i would whack it in the workshops pronto

Ive seen posts by people who have had this that and the other replaced and no joy, or the judder returns some time later.

Lexus state its normal.

Is it?

thanks

can you explain further..is it the traction control causing the judder? so should be cured if i switch it off...Ill nip out later and put that one to the test......

Clutch judder along with notchy gear change are normal for the IS I'm afraid. The flywheel has shock absorbers built in that allow it to move slightly relative to the crankshaft.

The TRC cutting in is like a total loss of power and this does not sound like your problem.

• 2 weeks later...

quick update..the dealer i purchased the vehicle from state clutch judder is normal as i previously said. (indeed some people on here have agreed-known fault etc)

Fair enough....but I didnt purchase a Lexus to judder myself to work :tsktsk: . I thought I could get used to it...giving it revs etc but I cant...im tall...sit well back and down as low as the seat can go......and that slight judder is beginning to niggle

Just been to another (more local)Lexus dealer who have driven the vehicle and state, although slight judder felt, its not normal (hurray). Now im confused. Two technicians stating different things.

Im hoping to get this sorted under the extended manufacturers warranty (which can be done at any Lexus dealer) so my local dealer are looking into it.

so heres hoping

yep....first gear pull away...bring the clutch up..slight judder before it bites..only way to get round it is heavy revs or whack the foot off the clutch quick..which makes for a lumpy ride in traffic...

now resorting to leaving a massive gap in front when in a slow moving queue so you can toddle along in 1st/2nd without having to dip that clutch..

strange thing is that on some occasions its sweet as a nut..

lets be honest you should be able to crawl along/pull away without even thinking about it..21st century isnt it :question:

quick update over the judder Issue:

why am I making a bit of a 'deal' over it? I purchased the car from a Lexus dealer and they really should have the means to fix it.

Clutch judder is not nice :tsktsk: not on a Vectra,let alone a Lexus

Lexus dealer 2 ,who state clutch judder is NOT normal (local and not from where i purchased it) are now stating that they have spoken with Lexus GB and they are happy to strip the clutch and inspect. If however there isnt a fault and the problem is due to wear then I can pay for the labour cost... ouch (theres bound to be wear its got 46k) If fault they will repair under Lexus warranty.

Back now to Lexus dealer 1 - remember they stated clutch judder IS 'normal' and live with it. Today ive told them Lexus dealer 2 state its 'not normal'and I want them to fix it ...means travelling again :crybaby:

Can anyone tell me if they can actually cure this issue.. :question: .ie new clutch. I cant believe for a minute that these cars rolled off the production line with a known fault that hasnt been properly addressed.

Who has an IS200 and DOESNT have clutch judder..or do we all have it?

Oddly enough my clutch is causing a slight judder and my mileage is around the 40k. Didn't use to do it and i've had my is200 since new. Therefore i've come to the conclusion that its just wear and tear, probably due to the fact that my clutch takes a beating as i ride it quite bit. Also you need to remember the is200 engine likes a bit of revs going through it so thats probably not helping the clutch either. To get round the problem for now i just give the car a few more revs and bring up the clutch slowly and move into 2nd as soon as possible from moving off. Not the most clutch friendly way of driving but it'll do till i can pony up for a new one. And trust me the clutch on a juddery is200 is miles more pleasing than the stone-age clutch thats in a v6 vectra ;)

• 2 weeks later...

quick update: The Lexus dealer who I purchased the vehicle from (who previously stated it was normal to have a judder) have agreed to replace the clutch :D

I contacted the dealer principal. He had previously sorted the issues I had on purchase and without hesitation has promised to replace the clutch (top man :winky: )

Now the thing is : is this known fault a clutch/flywheel combo thing and should they replace both. :question: or will they settle on the cheapest option and hope i go away!

• 2 weeks later...

From memory, going back a couple of years there was a lot of posts on this.

An amount of judder is a characteristic of the IS200 due to the dual mass flywheel. As someone said, the cluch etc has shock absorber to take this up a little.

But, I remember people getting clutches and flywheels changed (the pair) under warrenty. Maybe dealers did it easier when the cars where more current. Now they have new IS series, they probably won;t care so much, or Lexus GB won't!

Tell the dealer (no.1 who agreed to change clutch) that you want both clutch and flywheel changed.

• 3 months later...
  • 11 years later...

Cleaning the MAF sensor fixed my clutch judder. I have a 2005 IS250 with 130k miles that has juddered when cold for the last two years. Seeing this idea on another forum, I gave it a try and it's like a new car. No more judder, and much smoother and more powerful. I don't know why this works but a dirty sensor will presumably result in an incorrect fuel/air mix and poor running.