Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Automatic Gearbox

Phils

I have an IS 200 with automatic transmission. I am on the second gearbox and it has lost its drive. I also had this problem with the first gear box. Can anyone help as no one seems to know why this has happened twice in succession. The second gear box was only in my car for about 3 weeks before the problem happened again.

• 4 months later...

I have an IS 200 with automatic transmission. I am on the second gearbox and it has lost its drive. I also had this problem with the first gear box. Can anyone help as no one seems to know why this has happened twice in succession. The second gear box was only in my car for about 3 weeks before the problem happened again.

I had the same problem. my car is still at the gearbox centre. the problem with your second gearbox may have been that the oil or cooling system may not have been completely drained before the gb was fitted. the gunk that remained in the oil from the first box then went on to damage the the 2nd box. another possibility is that the gb is not running cool enough which causes the solenoid to burn out. you may have to consider adding an additional cooling system to your box. if you're still interested, let me know and i'll get you the details of how my car is doing and what the solution was.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have a problem that might be related. I have problems engaging reverse. It's fine from cold, seems to happen after about 30 mins of running. The gearstick moves into reverse but the car doesn't move. I have to take it out and re-engage a couple of times before it finally engages. I've just had the gearbox fluid replaced , which lexus told me was dirty. Came home only about 1.5 miles drive and tried it in reverse. Seemed ok, but as I said happens after 30 mins or so of running. The garage that changed the the auto fluid for me says I'm looking at a new gearbox at around £1,200 to £1,300.

Anyone got any suggestions or advice?