Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

NBLG - is your 130PDi a Multi/T? My 5 speed manual managed 52-55mpg (manually calculated) on a steady long run. I once got 810 miles out of 70 litres, and at an average speed of 67mpg...and at the pumps I managed to get 66litres in, so the car still had another 40odd miles to run (Trip said zero and it kept "pinging" me).

So even though I could drive the Audi relatively quickly and economically, I struggle with the Lexus - but like I said above - I now keep the Histogram (Current MPG) readout on all of the time in the Lex, and even in town I can hit 35-38mpg. On a run I can get closer to 50mpg.

A colleague has an A4 S Line 170 (2.0TDi), same age as my Lex. He's done 40k already, and gets 45-48mpg at most, usually 1 or 2 MPG more than the Lex, so I reckon the Lexus isn't too bad. The Audi is much quicker and has slightly less lag but is noisy...The difference is that if you thrash the A4 on a A road at national speed limits, it drops to Mid/High 30, whereas the 220d can drop to High 20's/low 30's. It's a bit Jekyl and Hyde...

PS - his is a Co car, but lusts after the Lex - I reckon he's gonna ditch the Audi soon (change at 45k) and get an IS250 Auto from his allowance instead...he knows it makes sense...

Audi Al, take my advice: go for the IS250. I am a happy IS220d driver, but would be a lot happier if I had chosen the petrol auto. The fuel consumption is almost identical between models, and the V6 is sweet and the auto excellent. As can be seen from all the postings here, the diesel is a bit of a dog.

NBLG - is your 130PDi a Multi/T? My 5 speed manual managed 52-55mpg (manually calculated) on a steady long run. I once got 810 miles out of 70 litres, and at an average speed of 67mpg...and at the pumps I managed to get 66litres in, so the car still had another 40odd miles to run (Trip said zero and it kept "pinging" me).

So even though I could drive the Audi relatively quickly and economically, I struggle with the Lexus - but like I said above - I now keep the Histogram (Current MPG) readout on all of the time in the Lex, and even in town I can hit 35-38mpg. On a run I can get closer to 50mpg.

Yes it's a 130TDi 5 speed - and it really does need a 6th gear, without that I can't see it getting much more than 50mpg. Then again it's only done 2k miles.

Yes it's a 130TDi 5 speed - and it really does need a 6th gear, without that I can't see it getting much more than 50mpg. Then again it's only done 2k miles.

:offtopic: It'll definitely become more economical as the next few 1000's go on...if it's the 130PDi, then it must be at least 2-3 years old? You need to take it out more...2000 miles is nothing...Just watch the oil consumption...mine was heavy in the first 10000 miles...and yes it defo needs a 6th gear...70mph with 2300rpm (and it max's at 4500) gets tiring...

On that Oil score the Lexus is very good though mine went through a dodgy patch, gulping down loads of oil for a few thousand miles, but now it takes zero again...

The other thing I hve noticed with the Lexus diesel more than any other I've ever driven is how lethargic and un-responsive the throttle is, even when idling...you hit the throttle and the car thinks for a while, lifts up it's belly and then roars...other Turbo diesels are far more immediate in responding. I think this is one of the reasons why people think there is a huge flatspot at take off. There is, but the feeling is exacerbated by the slow throttle response...and jumping in straight after driving an Audi, BMW or Merc diesel it feels disengaged. You soon get used to it, and I'm sure someone will say it's do with Euro 5....

in fact it's caused by the heavy flywheel.

When I turn off the engine, it spins maybe 1,5-2 more seconds, I feel like I was drivin a two stroke engine ;-)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links