Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

More Bhp For Is200

boysey78

I am after some advice regarding how i can increase the BHP on my IS200. I have heard of turbo's but that seems a little to expensive, and not really werth it.

What other options do i have, as i still love the car, just wish it had a little more guts.

I am after some advice regarding how i can increase the BHP on my IS200. I have heard of turbo's but that seems a little to expensive, and not really werth it.

What other options do i have, as i still love the car, just wish it had a little more guts.

you could supercharge it..adds extra 50 bhp but its not cheap

thats the route i want to take but will have to wait till price either comes down or pick up second hand one

john

• 1 month later...

I was wondering the same thing (more BHP), just bought an IS 200 sport (blue, cream interior) I think i want to get to around 200/220 BHP for the moment, i was thinking of going down the classic "induction kit / ECU remap" route.

Anyone got any thoughts on products, prices, websites and most importantly, where i can get it all done (im in Bristol)

Thanks all,

Baller

I was wondering the same thing (more BHP), just bought an IS 200 sport (blue, cream interior) I think i want to get to around 200/220 BHP for the moment, i was thinking of going down the classic "induction kit / ECU remap" route.

Anyone got any thoughts on products, prices, websites and most importantly, where i can get it all done (im in Bristol)

Thanks all,

Baller

Only way to get to that power is forced induction = supercharger or turbo

Thanks all,

Baller

If you can reach 200/220 with an induction kit and remap let me know and i'll be following suit.

You could always swap engines for a Supra one!!

Ive heard that the Is cant have the ECU remapped?

Also guys, wanted to know if i can put 220/240bhp through the standard clutch / gearbox or will it destroy it!?

Defo going to get an Induction kit / sports exhaust, but i want to avoid the turbo/supercharger route if i can because of work, cost and insurance!!

Could stretch to a racing clutch if needed but i dont really want to swap the transmission! And theres no way im buying another engine for it!!

My information that I was given on remapping the ECU is that it can be done but doesn't make any difference. I think a standard clutch will take 220bhp but there is absolutely no way you'll get that amount of power with a normally aspirated engine, none, zero, zilch, zip. You may get 170 or a little more at a push.

Keith

Or just buy an Altezza, 210bhp out of the factory!!

:yawn: why not just suggest he buys an M3 ??

Tryin to keep it to the IS shape, sorry i thought he was looking to buy an IS, didnt realise he hand an IS already! Me no read too good! :blush:

• 8 years later...

IS looks aggressive .There are plenty of BMWS on the road can say germans as well but no one cares ....But IS makes prominent itself in the crowd and seeks attraction ...

What anyone wants more ..IS is best

You will find endless posts regarding what you can and cant do to tune the IS200. you can go induction and exhaust and get maybe 15bhp and a little more responsiveness but nothing in the realms of what you are after. The ECU is a "thinking" one so whatever you do it will reset itself to what it thinks is best, so you would need to buy a piggyback but with the standard engine again you wont get alot.

you might want to start with suspension, springs, roll bars, make a big difference

Superchargers are hard to find so you would be looking at a recon one. I have just had a turbo fitted to mine but had already sorted that suspension with coil overs, roll bars and strut brace as well as 8.5 X 18 wheels and sticky Pilot super sports tyres. Turbo cost £2300 fitted, but also went with a lightened flywheel and new clutch and big brakes. was it worth it? yes it was, some will wonder why spending 6 grand on a car worth only 3 standard isn't a good idea, but like you I love the IS. German mega saloons are everywhere, but you will stand out with a quick well looked after IS. I don't go for body kits or spoilers, I think the IS looks great as it is. just do it gradually and you wont regret it.

Not sure that is really an easy option. Buying and selling is never easy when you have found a "good" one and you take a chance on somethnig you know very little about and as in another post currently running, it isn't at all easy to find a good IS as they are now 10 years old or more. Also you are going from manual to automatic/tiptronic whatever you want to call it (which for me i am not a fan of). You could finish up spending more on sorting it out than you would have if you had modified the one you already have and spend months finding a good one. And the 300 is in limited colours, I wouldn't want any other colour than the one I have. Currently on Autotrader there are only 7 is300's, 3 under 100k mileage and 1 CAT D rebuild.

considering this thread is 8 years old lol... all depends on the bhp being sort after with the right budget any engine could be made very powerful. but depends on how much one is willing to spend to reach their power target and sometimes it works out cheaper and less of a hassle to sell and buy a more powerful car and be done with it. although the tiptronic in the IS300 is not a full blown manual it was still fun when I owned one.

manuals are and will always be involving to drive but does not translate to being able to react i.e. shift up/down quicker than a good modern sport auto in manual mode. if one does not care about having a manual box then upgrading to an IS300 might be cheaper than boosting the 200.

I guess my comment was really saying that swapping to another car isnt quite as easy as that sounds. We have all had our experiences of selling to tyre kickers and those with no money and once you finally find a genuine buyer after all the hassle and cost of cleaning and advertising its then finding a good car to buy and the gap in between if you need wheels all the time. or maybe just buy a GS430 as you have done?

not seen any on here but some guys in US have done V8 conversions buy fitting the engine from GS400/430 to the IS. i think all depends as sometimes it works out cheaper and less hassle to keep the car you have and then mod it or upgrade to another car with more power in my case would have cost me more to do and engine conversion or boost my 300 than just getting a V8 GS.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well they are designed to take 156 BHP, I would imagine most gearboxes would struggle to take double the power they were designed for. Like most things in life it depends how you treat it, if you drive flat out like a boy racer all the time even the standard power would knacker the box in any car, treat it with a bit of respect and look after it and a Lexus will go on and on and be way more reliable than most. Also the 200 box doesn't fit the other engines anyway so you would have to go with the one it was built with.

Honda an ep3 gearbox, from factory has to deal with 200bhp, people there cars well past 600bhp and are fine, the clutch and fly is the only thing that tends to be changed.

They still should provided a manual v8 in the is, would of been a good seller I recon