Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Am I the luckiest GS 300 owner - or am I missing something?

I've only had my first Lexus for a week or so and already I am hooked.

In the time I have owned it I have only covered 496 miles - but was amazed at the economy.

My trip consisted of 336 miles of Motorway/A roads at an average of 80-90mph, and the rest urban driving in town/dual carriageway.

Imagine my amazement when I filled with petrol today to find it had averaged 29.6 miles to the gallon.

My driving is not exactly sedate, although I don't hit the floor with the pedal, but rather 'stroke' it giving the car time to pull at its own pace (most of the time anyway). I don't brake hard, giving myself plenty of time, letting the car engine do the breaking gradually.

I have previously owned a Mercedes 260E, a Vauxhall Royale, an Opel Senator, a Vauxhall Carlton (2.5) and various other lesser cars. The Lexus wins hands down over them all for comfort, luxury and (it appears at present) fuel economy. Let's hope it stays that way.

I'm now considering buying my wife a 200 - if I can find one at the right price.

Hi Pewe, your MPG's are excellent! I have had my IS300 for a couple of weeks now and just get 24mpg at best. In my previous GS300 SE I never got more than 22mpg :crybaby: Think I need to come out of sport mode :D

Glenn

• 1 month later...
I really want to replace my is200SE with a GS300 Sport, but with these sort of fuel consuption figures, the BMW looks closer and closer every time. :(

A BMWhat ???? Or is that as you approach from behind on the motorway !!

:D Hi Everbody, Having only recently joined I really find this site interesting and extremely useful, what a happy bunch!

With regards to mileage Ive recently gone from Essex to Oxford to Torquay and back and averaged 30mpg (1995 GS300) and was not hanging about, so I thought that this was pretty good, around town it seems to be about 25 which again seems not bad.

My only problem is the post Ive made about the radio, I reckon it needs attention, does anyone know someone in the Essex area that would be able to look at it?

Keep up the good work

Weird experience with fuel consumption.

I do a fair mileage each month (2,500-3,500) and so fuel consumption is an expensive issue. In an attempt to try and get a better return I tried to stick at a steady 70-80 but found this made no difference, however on a couple of occasions I was pressed for time and cracked things up to 90-100 and found that the consumption improved :ohmy:

Have found that the GS prefers longer runs, and on the last two occasions where is did over 300 miles during the course of the day got the best mpg rates so far 27 and 28, compared with my ususal 22-25.

Anyone else found that going faster they use less petrol?

• 1 month later...

I'm new here, having just bought my first Lexus. Had my GS300 SE for a couple of weeks now; very pleased with the economy (and delighted with the rest of the car bar a few rattles, sigh).

27.5 around town, 30.5 outside, done about 1000 miles, mixture of Texaco/Tesco/Optimax fillups. But then I drive very lightfootedly, with just the occasional wallop into sports mode for an overtake. Shows it can be done though.

Two weeks into my GS430 and the computer say 26.7

I admit I haven't booted it too hard but that's mostly 80 on the motorways and stuff.

Got around 27-28 from the Gs300

Can't moan really as it's always in sport! :D

Fellows Fellows Fellows

:ph34r: Two fingers to the so called bad economy...mine is just fine and yep seems faster seems no more un-economical...well in pence anyhow...but WHEN did the last BMW owner come to your window with their unexpired car park ticket and offer it as 1 Lexus owner to another...happened to me yesterday....chaps, face it please...we all had the taste and style to buy a car which shows and indeed describes our individual uncompromising view as to who is the king of the road.

Live with the style

Delight in the feel

Enjoy the ride

Grin as they stare wishing

Dave

L33EXY

GS300

Ive sussed out why my fuel consumption is so bad.

I dont get to use the car very much but I always have to take it to the friendly filling station.

Funny how its always my car when its dirty and empty but hers when she wants to impress her Boss. :D

• 1 year later...
I've got a GS300 Mk1 and find that in town I get around 18-20mpg, on a long run at say 80 mph with cruise control I get 25 mpg and with a bit of both 22 mpg (No suprise there then  <_< )

I too expect to be doing highish mileage, 30,000 + a year but would rather have to shell out the extra bit of dosh and have the comfort than go for a more fuel efficient alternative in the same price range.

If you are going to be doing higher mileage then you will get nearer the 25 mark, so 30,000 miles at 75 pence per litre (£3.41 per gallon) will cost you £4,092. Assuming you get your alternative Toyoya and say it does 30 mpg which I think would be the best you could expect, with diesel at about 78 pence per litre (£3.55 per gallon) you are still looking at £3,550.

For the difference of £542 per 30,000 miles I can't see the point unless you go for something giving you around 50 mpg.

MAC

:withstupid: Please note this reply has been amended to hide the fact I was an idiot - 75 & 78 pence per gallon - WE WISH!

I agree with this reply - £542 over a couple of years (for most of us) pales into insignificance besides the depreciation. However, I have just traded in an ageing (189k miles) BMW 730i, partly because the fuel consumption around town had suddenly got worse to about 19mpg and on a run I could only get 25 ish. I was fairly alarmed to see the GS300 returning just 19.5mpg in mixed driving - haven't tried a long run yet - and I have been experimenting :). When the BM was newish, it got total average of 22 and on a run I could just squeeze it over the 30 mark. However, this was as reported by the on-board computer which I later came to suspect as being about 10% optimistic. I have been driving the GS more normally this past week and consumption looks better - exactly half a tank on 165miles - I know it's not an accurate gauge, but last week I'm sure it had only done about 140 when the needle was in the same position.

Mike

If I was worried about mpg I would have a Peugot 106 diesel :crybaby: I havent a clue what my Mk 2 GS300 does to the gallon, I never check the computer thingy on the sat nav to find out. All I know is I get around 300 miles to each fill up (which is twice a week just to get to and from work), but more importantly I LOVE DRIVING THE CAR, :driving:

I've done the small diesel hatch thing in a vain atempt to save a few quid, I had it 2 weeks and sold it and bought something with a bit more comfort. Lets face it, if you want fuel economy, a Lexus isnt neccesarily the car for you. Now if you want great handling, quiet luxurious motoring, thats a different thing altogether. :D :driving:

My 1993 LS400 does 250 miles with air con on , cruise control on and off 70-100mph on £20 of LPG! I love it, but it has to go due to my ever expanding family,

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links