Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My Latest Disappointments

Hi guys and gals.....It has been a long time since I frequented this board, having become disillusioned with my car and especially my dealer.

2 weeks ago @ 10300 miles, my SEL250 fully loaded car's satellite navigation system packed up. It was due for its first service the following week ( last Wednesday) so I informed them of the problem and they said they would order the parts, and whilst having the service, they would fix it.

Well I wont bore you with the whole drama, but suffice to say it contained lying, shoddy workmanship, and only served to further my disgust at this so called legendary customer service. Part and ONLY part of the situation ongoing, is that they replaced my MM /console /facia unit with a second hand unit from a diesel which does NOT have the " automatic switching air circulation system". When I complained, and they EVENTUALLY confessed to fitting a second hand unit, it was arranged that an entire £3000 unit would be ordered and fitted this week. I could live without this feature for a week.

Today the car was returned with a supposed completely new unit, and guess what? - the same old s/h diesel version is still in there.

I am at my wits end with the service I have received from day one, and my stack of letters ( many of which were never even answered) continues to grow, but my question which I need you guys to help with is this...

Does the current, latest, IS250 SEL M/M car have the feature I mentioned? On my original unit, I had a switch marked internal /external air intake, and in the middle of this switch was a 3rd green light with the the word "auto" above it. I was able to switch manually from external to internal air, or select "auto" -this green light came on, and in traffic fumes etc, the unit would automatically switch from one to the other as conditions dictated. I believe that the diesel does NOT have this feature. I just need confirmation that the latest model ( mine is an 06 plate ) still has the same setup, before they try and tell me otherwise.

Incidentally I have both the dashboard and drivers pillar "rattles" so well documented here last year, but of course....when this was mentioned to the dealer, I got NFF ( "No fault found" )

Why oh why did I not get the beemer I liked so much during my test drives.......that was a retorical question by the way.......

Sorry to hear you're being messed around here by the dealer.

I'd personally name and shame them here as that usually gives them a kick up the proverbial arse, and also complain to Lexus GB, you'll normally find that things will then be sorted to your satisfaction!

Good luck getting things sorted, you will get there eventually, just a shame it's taking so long!

Sorry to hear you're being messed around here by the dealer.

I'd personally name and shame them here as that usually gives them a kick up the proverbial arse, and also complain to Lexus GB, you'll normally find that things will then be sorted to your satisfaction!

Good luck getting things sorted, you will get there eventually, just a shame it's taking so long!

I will NEVER be won back to Lexus, and as for lexus GB they couldnt care less either Steve Settle et al just dont think it is important, and have dismissed my letters with standard responses such as "we are sorry that you etc etc... DISGUSTED I am.

As for naming and shaming to provide a kick up the arse, believe you me, they have already had my size 10 several times, and it produces not one jot of genuine concern. The salesman who "sold " us the car, has not spoken to me ONCE since I collected the car, not even to ask how I am getting on. A couple of weeks ago he personally felt the whole wrath from me and the wife, and was " very sorry to hear it" and " leave it with me, I shall sort things out NOW"

That was 12 days ago - NOTHING ZILCH

*****, if he was any more laid back he would fall over, and I hope he does !

'am genuinely gutted for you. All this when you'd been looking forward to your mota, Mrs Eunos800 had secretly been planning an early delivery and all. Really feel it for you!

It is absolutely ubsurd that they did this. As Aido says, you have such a strong case to get Trading standards involved.

Even if the auto circ is no longer standard (I'm sure it is still a feature), they should still be able to get one for you...even if it means out of a Petrol car - seriously - the incompetence....would you have even noticed if they had taken it from a Petrol one????? Probably not...

Keep giving them your size 10 for as long as you have to. You (like me) paid with hard earnt cash, if they can't value your custom then there is no hope.

As for the rattles, then in my view if you're one of the many unlucky ones, then they will stay in most cases no matter what. Even with 2 lots of remedial work mine is getting worse and is due to go in again.

I believe that the earlier cars which suffered this will always be a liability. Some people don't feel to fussed about the odd rattle, but should any car costing this much with it's reputation rattle? The answer is no.

People will always tell you stories on this forum of Mercs and BeEms that they have had which have rattled. I've had the full set now and none ever rattled at all. In fact the Audi was so solidly made it made you take double takes at some of the clever engineering...So it really is down to Lexus GB - do they put their heart where their mouthand Cust Sat indeces are/is and get their franchises to sort these cars out permanently, or keep bodging the fixes until the warranty runs out and a few "collateral damaged" owners go away...???

Mine will be going in once these intermittent rattles become worse (they are gradually) and more permanent...then I will want a proper fix. I'm already planning an attempt to defect to the dark side - I can't be bovvered to keep going back...again and again..and all the issues are just too much to accept - especially given how well Lexus and Toyota do in reliability and cust sat indeces - it's enough to never make me want to buy a Toyota or Lexus again...and I have had 2 Toyota's before!

'am genuinely gutted for you. All this when you'd been looking forward to your mota, Mrs Eunos800 had secretly been planning an early delivery and all. Really feel it for you!

It is absolutely ubsurd that they did this. As Aido says, you have such a strong case to get Trading standards involved.

Even if the auto circ is no longer standard (I'm sure it is still a feature), they should still be able to get one for you...even if it means out of a Petrol car - seriously - the incompetence....would you have even noticed if they had taken it from a Petrol one????? Probably not...

Keep giving them your size 10 for as long as you have to. You (like me) paid with hard earnt cash, if they can't value your custom then there is no hope.

As for the rattles, then in my view if you're one of the many unlucky ones, then they will stay in most cases no matter what. Even with 2 lots of remedial work mine is getting worse and is due to go in again.

I believe that the earlier cars which suffered this will always be a liability. Some people don't feel to fussed about the odd rattle, but should any car costing this much with it's reputation rattle? The answer is no.

People will always tell you stories on this forum of Mercs and BeEms that they have had which have rattled. I've had the full set now and none ever rattled at all. In fact the Audi was so solidly made it made you take double takes at some of the clever engineering...So it really is down to Lexus GB - do they put their heart where their mouthand Cust Sat indeces are/is and get their franchises to sort these cars out permanently, or keep bodging the fixes until the warranty runs out and a few "collateral damaged" owners go away...???

Mine will be going in once these intermittent rattles become worse (they are gradually) and more permanent...then I will want a proper fix. I'm already planning an attempt to defect to the dark side - I can't be bovvered to keep going back...again and again..and all the issues are just too much to accept - especially given how well Lexus and Toyota do in reliability and cust sat indeces - it's enough to never make me want to buy a Toyota or Lexus again...and I have had 2 Toyota's before!

Hello me old mate :) Glad to see you are still as active on this boardas ever !

Thanks for the comments, and sorry to hear your prettty well done with them too....and NO of course it is not acceptable for these sort of issues to present in a so called luxury marque of car. After last weeks shamble, I immediately got home, having been lied to again on the car phone by the after sales manger and spoke to one of the 2 directors of this particular dealership, and he was left in NO DOUBT about my feelings. He apologised, made some excuses for some of the issues, and promidsed that "If I give HIM the chance" he will make amends and ensure I am returned to full satisfaction - I said I would give him that chance, and we ended the call. 3 days later a huge bouquet of flowers arrived with an apology from "Lexus *******" no personal name at all, and to date i still have received no written communications from him. When the car was returned today there was anote from the aftersales guy saying I could have 50% discount off my next service ! I have now written a letter to this director, having not even received the courtesty of a response from his partner last year, and just posted it 30 mins ago. I just pushed a few buttons on the sat nav on my way to post office, and guess what..... the "HOME" destination contains an address in the Wirral that I have never even heard of, and there are at least 15 previous "memory points" showing from allaround the arera of the dealership. How can they tell me STILL that this is a brand new complete system. I just despair......

I can see the only way forward for me is to take a huge hit on depreciation, and trade it in for something else, ANYTHING ELSE !!

Does the current, latest, IS250 SEL M/M car have the feature I mentioned? On my original unit, I had a switch marked internal /external air intake, and in the middle of this switch was a 3rd green light with the the word "auto" above it. I was able to switch manually from external to internal air, or select "auto" -this green light came on, and in traffic fumes etc, the unit would automatically switch from one to the other as conditions dictated. I believe that the diesel does NOT have this feature. I just need confirmation that the latest model ( mine is an 06 plate ) still has the same setup, before they try and tell me otherwise.

Eunos800 sorry to hear you are having a bad time of things with the car. I can confirm that the feature you describe is on the 2006 model year IS250 SE-L.

I hope things improve for both you and Jamboo and that Lexus pull their finger out and sort you both out.

That is attrocious. I feel for you too Eunos. When my local Lexus dealer was trying to fix the rattles the first time around they damaged the screen. They then changed it for the screen out of another car which then made the SatNav go haywire. It was driving accross fields and in totally different directions to where I was going. Luckily Lexus GB did send out their area after sales manager to come and look at my car. He was awesome, he listened to every speak and rattle and saw immediately that the screen they replaced was actually incompatible with the system in my car. Lexus GB changed it when they had the car and it was working fine when I got it back but I went through a nightmare month or so until Lex GB finally took it away. But it was nothing like your experience so I am gutted for you mate. I hope you get it sorted soon. Surely Lex GB should be involved in this. I can't believe that they have not contacted you back.

I think I would be just as upset as you (perhaps moreso!) if those chain of events had befallen me. Are you too far down the line to rejct the car? If you are, then perhaps you sould approach lexus GB and ask to take the car to anoteh Dealership for 'fix - even if they might be more distance away.

It really is a dreadful situation to be in when you haev spent so much money to buy into a product/brand. I think I have been lucky to receive nothing but the highest level of service from Lexus MK and Croydon. Stick at it as the depreciation you will suffer on your car might be truly horrendous and the lesser of these two evils might be to invest a little more time and effort and you will have the car you have supposed to have bought at the end.

Keep us posted? BTW your experience sounds like that of a Sytner dealership ;)

Very sorry to hear of your problems. I'm sure you are still in a time frame for rejection if you choose that route.

From what you say about the Home and other addresses on your MM this seems very similar to the addresses to those I had on mine when I bought it from Lexus Chester but mine was a demonstrator. But I must say the service I received was excellent but after taking the car away it's only been back once for a wheel swap all other work has been done closer to my home in the Midlands.

Hi guys, and thanks for the words of encouragement, nice to see a few names of old :winky:

I thought I would attach a copy of the letter I have just sent, in case anybody is thinking that I have been overly aggressive or impolite in my communications with lexus to date. I have been accused in the past of arrogance, and although I am sometimes guilty of this, I hope this letter conveys mythoughts correctly and hopefully proffesionally ? All the other letters ( 6 in all to either XXXXX or Lexus GB ) have been in a similar vein.

I doubt that I could reject the car at this stage ( almost 12 months on ) I believe Jamboo tried this MUCH sooner after purchase and was knocked back.

I should stress that although there are some niggles with the car which should NOT be present in such a vehicle, most of them are things which I have come to accept, and my main complaint is about the service /lack of service received from Lexus since purchase. I am firmly of the opinion that it is no better than any other car company, and certainly way short of my expectations, which were high.

Dear NNNN

Further to our lengthy telephone conversation of last week, I thought I would communicate this time in writing. ( Incidentally….I thought you had indicated that you were writing to me? )

Firstly, thank you for the flowers which we received, my wife especially was delighted with them.

I think it is un-necessary for me to reiterate yet again my overall disappointment with Lexus XXXXXXX, as I am sure you were left in no doubt as to my feelings following that conversation, I am afraid though that matters remain un-satisfactory, and despite conversations with ZZZ relating to the replacement satellite navigation unit, I seem unable to get the answers or service I require.

As you may be aware ( and ZZZ certainly should be ) the diesel version of the IS does NOT have automatic air recirculation switching ( page 178 – 182 of the manual incidentally ), and the lack of this feature and its associated indicator lamp was missing from my car when I was journeying home following the initial repair last week, indeed it was this omission which prompted me to call ZZZ on that day.

Following my telephone call to yourself that afternoon it transpired that this unit was in fact a second hand item, and as I suspected, had been taken from a diesel car.

The fact that the entire facia / heating / audio / control unit etc had to be replaced was bad enough, but being supplied with an inferior unit lacking this very useful feature made it worse.

Further to that conversation, I was contacted by ZZZ and informed that a whole new system was on order, and that it could be fitted on Wednesday 20th June, which I agreed would be possible.

I mentioned the air circulation feature AGAIN to ZZZ, and he assured me that the new unit would be exactly the same as the one removed.

The car was duly collected on Wednesday 20th, and later in the day I received a call from ZZZ to inform me that the car was being returned to my home and all work had been completed.

I once AGAIN clarified that the automatic air re-circulatory feature was now present, and was assured that - and I quote - “Yes it is exactly the same as the original, the unit was ordered to match with the VINâ€.

It was with some disbelief then, ( or maybe not ? ) that upon checking the vehicle upon its arrival, I find that the exact same facia without my auto air feature is still in the car !! …complete with the original scratch across the brown plastic lens – confirming to me that the “temporary†facia unit remains.

Having spent a working lifetime in a customer service focussed business, I and I am sure you, appreciate that most people do not like complaining, and I am no exception. I really am not an awkward or difficult man – but I am a perfectionist and expect things to be right – is that asking too much ? - especially of a company who proclaims their mission to be….. “The pursuit of perfection†!

Remember, when we returned from CCCCCCC to collect the car last week, we were told “ everything is fixed and the car is ready to collectâ€. We collected the keys from JJJJ, and NOTHING was mentioned as we left the showroom, we were already driving away, when I noticed that part of the dashboard / facia had been broken during the repair process, and I naturally returned to your dealership to have it rectified. Even after this was attended to, there was still no mention of the fact that it was a temporary repair.

Both my wife and I remain convinced that had I not been so vigilant, we would still be driving around with it now…. none the wiser.

I am stating here, in writing, that I am NOT satisfied with the repair work that has been conducted on the vehicle. Having spent a considerable sum on the top range version of that model, I am annoyed that the satellite system failed at all, but am even more annoyed at your dealership’s attempts to rectify it.

I insist that the unit concerned be replaced to the exact same specification and features as my original.

I am now honestly at a loss as to know just what I am supposed to do to obtain satisfaction.

Yours sincerely

TTTTTTT

Eunos800, the letter is neither impolite nor aggressive. It simply states the facts and asks for resolution. I can’t believe they would put a second hand unit in your car. I would be tearing my hair out (what little I have left) if I had been treated this way.

latest ....got call today on mobile from ANOTHER new name down at the dealers, apparantley "group parts manager" ( about time someone went through their organisation and streamlined things, perhaps then the left hand might actually know what the right hand is doing for a change ).

Apparantly he had heard from the driver who brought the car back to me yesterday that I was "unhappy" when I inspected the vehicle, and he then "investigated" what was done yesterday ( alledgedly done I hasten to add ) and he says it now looks like, wait for it......

" we may have ordered and fitted the wrong parts for your car !!!!!!" - can we have it back again tomorrow !!!!

( incidentally, 'tis a round trip of 100mls to my dealer - £ 20 petrol every time etc etc )

I told him in no uncertain terms NO! Please go and discuss the matter with Mr ZZZZ ( the director who I wrote to yesterday )

The farce just continues to grow...you couldnt make it up could you ??

All their company mission statements and policies in the world dreamed up by the backroom boys and captains matter not one jot if the crew are not on board. It is times like this I miss being in work, early retirement is very nice, but *** I wish I could have 5 days back at my old role, in that place...

most of them wouldnt know what hit them :tsktsk: :tsktsk:

Hopeless, just hopeless.......

Tell them that seeing as they made the mistake they should cover the cost of your time and petrol, see what they say, at least now they're offering a resolution?

Received call from the director an hour or so ago, wifey took it as I was out. More apologies and excuses, seems he has been fed the same bull**** stories from his workers as we have. latest is now...

They come for car on Monday, leave free courtesy car, fix it properly, return it with full tank of petrol,

fully free next service, ( what is this worth incidentally? )

any future courtesy car will always be totally free ( no ridiculous £10 insurance surcharge).

Received call from the director an hour or so ago, wifey took it as I was out. More apologies and excuses, seems he has been fed the same bull**** stories from his workers as we have. latest is now...

They come for car on Monday, leave free courtesy car, fix it properly, return it with full tank of petrol,

fully free next service, ( what is this worth incidentally? )

any future courtesy car will always be totally free ( no ridiculous £10 insurance surcharge).

I am lucky enough to have a really good Lexus dealer near me - although it surely shouldn't be a lottery of where you live dictates what level of service you get from Lexus.

Also, not to rub salt in the wound, but my brother has a Skoda Fabia and he has a had a vastly superior service to this (not to mention fewer problems in the first place, makes ya wonder)!

There is really no excuse whatsoever for this level of service.

Progress at last...and not before time either!! I just can't believe this - it's shocking...things like this only ever happen to me...so I know just how you feel!

Is it the 10000 or 20000 service for free? The 10k one was approx £155 (incl Gold members discount) and I've heard the 20k is closer to £250...

Realistically, they have an opportunity to really turn things around and "delight" you, so a free service shoud be the start. How about free services for the next 2 years, or a samsonite set of cases, or a decent Lexus Watch, umbrella and jacket for you and the wife?

Nahh...free service...'cos it actually will cost them nowt (other than a gallon of Oil, which they get in barrels cheap)!

Not trying to wind you you up mate...honest! Seriously though - good luck. I'm gonna call my dealer today...the car was as quiet as a mouse this morning (a dead one - not even a squeak), but it's rattled all week prior to this..

BTW - dealers and LGB do look at this forum regularly...it's amazing how you get calls from dealers who otherwise might be too laid back within minutes of you posting some hard hitting facts...

Hi Eunos800

I also have an IS250 SE-L MM. Bought it in late August last year. Apart from some scrote running a brick down the nearside two weeks after taking delivery it has performed brilliantly.

I do not have any rattles or other problems that other people on this forum seem to be experiencing.

The thing that does concerm me about your disgraceful experiences with your Lexus dealer is that as I live on the Wirral it might well be one and the same. Is the dealer on the Wirral the one you have had problems with?

Since I have had this car they have performed very well, however before they had Lexus they had Mitsubishi and I had several major problems with them. Although in fairness the chap who is the service manager now is excellent and goes out of his way to make sure things are done to everyones satisfaction.

Good Luck anyway I hope you get a satisfactory conclusion soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Have just noticed last night, that the centre console around the gear shift lever and cup holder area are completelt devoid of any lighting - and cant completely remember if this area ( shift position indicator for instance ) had illumination. Something seems "missing" and I suspect that a wire /connector has been missed when they refitted the whole centre dash area with the new sat nav. can you confirm if there is lamps in this area please, before I go ranting again at them :)

Have just noticed last night, that the centre console around the gear shift lever and cup holder area are completelt devoid of any lighting - and cant completely remember if this area ( shift position indicator for instance ) had illumination. Something seems "missing" and I suspect that a wire /connector has been missed when they refitted the whole centre dash area with the new sat nav. can you confirm if there is lamps in this area please, before I go ranting again at them :)

Eunos I am pretty sure that the area around the gear shift lever should be illuminated. Not sure if this only came on when the lights are on.

Eunos I am pretty sure that the area around the gear shift lever should be illuminated. Not sure if this only came on when the lights are on.

Thanks Saracen - I thought so, but not sure :-)

PS see you have the SC now not the IS250 - didnt you have 2 x IS250s at one time ??

Thanks Saracen - I thought so, but not sure :-)

PS see you have the SC now not the IS250 - didnt you have 2 x IS250s at one time ??

Yes picked up the SC yesterday and loving her :driving: But hating the bad weather and all the rain - I want to take my top off!

I've only every had one IS250 which I bought at the end of '05, chopped it for the SC.