Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Chick Requires Tyre Advice

suttys

Hi,

I have an IS200LE - 3 years old and had it from new.

It has just been for the 3 year service at Lexus Dealer and they have changed the front drivers side for the spare wheel as the inner tyre was worn. They have told me that the front passenger side is also worn and the back tyres are both down to 4, 4, 4, (tread mm) - inner, middle, outer.

First question: - The car has done 26,000 miles - have the orignal Dunlop tyres done well?

Second question: - Should I look to replace all the tyres now?

I have been pretty pleased with the Dunlops and only had the back end slip out a couple of times in the wet, normally coming off round abouts.

Final question: - I know looking at the other tyre topics that you guy's like the Goodyear Eagle F1's, I am looking for a tyre with good grip and that will wear well, I only do around 8,000 miles a year. Would this tyre be a good one for me or could you guy's suggest something more suitable?

Any help much appreciated.

Have the originals done well?...........i wouldn't be happy with that mileage.....see the Dr @ WIM :D

No point in getting new tyres until you do, but the GY's F1 's are a good tyre plenty of grip in the wet and wear well if your geo is set up properly. :D

Oh and er Hi and welcome.

hi, welcome to LOC.

I was going to go for the Eagle F1's, but was advised to try Marngoni Zeta Linea's and they are fantastic!!!

They have a very mean looking tread pattern and have outshone many other tyres in comparisson tests!!!

If you don't fancy them....you could try Eagle F1's, Toyo Proxes T1-S, Bridgestone Potenza RE5 Pole Position...........

Hope that helps.

Rob

Think the Goodyears have been discontinued now, there has also been some issue regarding grey imports of those tyres which don't perform as well!

I've personally got some Nexxen N3000 tyres on mine now, have to admit I'm well impressed, similar tread pattern to the Eagles, Marangonis, Toyos and Falkens of this world, and good value to boot!

My car was transformed since going to these, it's been wet recently too and they've been exemplerary, can't complain about them at all, I got mine from Attercliffe Tyres in Sheffield near Meadowhall, great bunch of guys there and they're near you too :)

Oh by the way, welcome to LOC :)

Hi there Suttys and welcome to the LOC,

What Scorps was referring to in his post was that the geometry of the IS200 when it came from the factory wasn't great, which caused many issues with inner tyre wear (if you run a search you will find many upset members lol). This can be rectified by simply visiting a geometry rectification company, such as Wheels In Motion.

Let us know how you get on,

Regards,

Jamie

Hi and Welcome to LOC :)

1/ I'd be very happy with 26,000 from a set of tyres :whistling:

2/ 4 new tyres after 3 years ain't exactly splashing out... ;)

3/ guessing your a safe non aggressive driver then most premium tyres should do the trick... depends on the driver ;)

personally i drive my car hard and only got 10,000 kms from the Toyo's T1-Rs, fronts were ok but had the dreaded inside wear ..., so now i have Goodyear f1's on all wheels and am very impressed so far .... even today in really heavy showers with the traction control off the car was very sure footed....

As far as buying dodgy F1's ..... if they have the "E" mark on the side wall then they are fine, the grey imports "F1's" are actually real goodyears but for a "hotter" climate and designed accordingly....

Hi and Welcome to LOC :)

1/ I'd be very happy with 26,000 from a set of tyres :whistling:

2/ 4 new tyres after 3 years ain't exactly splashing out... ;)

3/ guessing your a safe non aggressive driver then most premium tyres should do the trick... depends on the driver ;)

personally i drive my car hard and only got 10,000 kms from the Toyo's T1-Rs, fronts were ok but had the dreaded inside wear ..., so now i have Goodyear f1's on all wheels and am very impressed so far .... even today in really heavy showers with the traction control off the car was very sure footed....

As far as buying dodgy F1's ..... if they have the "E" mark on the side wall then they are fine, the grey imports "F1's" are actually real goodyears but for a "hotter" climate and designed accordingly....

Hi,

Thanks for the tyre suggestions, how much does it cost to get the Geometry checked? I checked out the website link (WIM), but I assume there are places up North that I can get this checked?

Aido - The car came from Sheffield as I used to work on Queen Street, so I have a few mates in and around the Sheffield area, thanks for the recommendation of Attercliffe tyres I will give them a call when I decide which tyres to go for.

Noel - Yes, your right safe non aggressive driver - but I can have my moments of "girl racer" - The Lexus is my baby and looked after very well.

If you decide on Dunlops again make sure you get SP9000(L) The L is Lexus specific. As for the Geometry the nearest to you that can set the car to the wim positions is..

TDi-North

21 & 22 Aston Court,

Kingsland Grange,

Warrington, WA1 4SG

Tel: 0800 0196055

Email: info@TDi-North.com

Oh and welcome to LOC :D

Have the Goodyears actually been discontinued, Aido? I'm going for 4 new tyres on Saturday and I just assumed they were still around. Certainly, I got a quote from the place for them, and they didn't mention it. Interesting.

Have the Goodyears actually been discontinued, Aido? I'm going for 4 new tyres on Saturday and I just assumed they were still around. Certainly, I got a quote from the place for them, and they didn't mention it. Interesting.

They are being discontinued in certain sizes, mainly 50 and 60 profiles. This is because Goodyear now have a new model called "Excellence".

I think it will be a long time before the directional F1 is replaced with the asymmetrical excellence in lower aspect ratios.

Ah nice one Tony, just assumed they were stopping the lot, it's a complicated old game!

@ Suttys, nice one, I've been there quite a few times now for various bits and bobs and I've recommended a few people, can't fault them at all, they're a good bunch of lads and we always have a laugh when I'm down there which helps pass the time!

Price wise I tried a load around us and they were the best. A mate always used a place up in Rotherham he knows and these guys were a little bit more (you're talking a few pounds) but it was better for him as he could have the car done while at work, always a bonus!

I work just down the road from them in Wicker Arches so it's easy to limp the car there if it has a problem :)

Hi,

I have an IS200LE - 3 years old and had it from new.

It has just been for the 3 year service at Lexus Dealer and they have changed the front drivers side for the spare wheel as the inner tyre was worn. They have told me that the front passenger side is also worn and the back tyres are both down to 4, 4, 4, (tread mm) - inner, middle, outer.

First question: - The car has done 26,000 miles - have the orignal Dunlop tyres done well?

Second question: - Should I look to replace all the tyres now?

I have been pretty pleased with the Dunlops and only had the back end slip out a couple of times in the wet, normally coming off round abouts.

Final question: - I know looking at the other tyre topics that you guy's like the Goodyear Eagle F1's, I am looking for a tyre with good grip and that will wear well, I only do around 8,000 miles a year. Would this tyre be a good one for me or could you guy's suggest something more suitable?

Any help much appreciated.

hi and welcome

• 2 weeks later...

They are being discontinued in certain sizes, mainly 50 and 60 profiles. This is because Goodyear now have a new model called "Excellence".

I think it will be a long time before the directional F1 is replaced with the asymmetrical excellence in lower aspect ratios.

well actually i work for goodyear and yes the gsd3 we all love has been replaced, theyre still being made but not in germany as before the design has been shipped to china of all places. there is a new eagle f1 which is an assymetrical design (not rotational but has an "outside" and "inside") i replaced my gsd3s with toyot1-s and was impressed they seem more grippy than the toyos, ive now fitted 18's with contis and and think im gonna change back to toyo asap. basically if you do go for the f1 gsd3 make sure theyre of the german variety its written on the sidewall "made in china" or "made in germany", thats my two penneth!

I'm still using the Dunlops, and I've been happy with them - never really had any grip concerns, and they're one of the quieter performance tyres. I've heard complaints that the F1s can be noisier, so if you don't need the extra grip in the wet, then might not be worth changing.

I hate buying tyres as it's one of the few really important things that you can't test before you buy......

For my next set, I'd ideally like to get something that has at least the same grip as the SP9000s, but is even quieter, but not sure they exist..... :unsure:

i'm getting some new tyres this month and think i'm going to go for nexens and see how they do.

I rate them mate, tell you what I could get the IS to break traction more fitted with the T1-S than I can get this to and I'm looking at double the torque!

I've got the Nexxen N3000 and can't really fault them, they've been great in the dry and the wet, managed to get the car to fishtail once in the wet but that was because I wasn't concentrating and let the second turbo spool which luckily the VSC sorted out really quickly - thinking about it though the car behind me (neither of us were racing btw so he was some distance back) also lost traction in the same spot which I noticed due to the beam pattern of his lights so guess there was something on the surface?

They're a very very quiet tyre too - not sure what they're like for wear yet but I'm definitely happy with them :)

• 1 month later...

You got 26K and the reading is 4 4 4!

Well considering the legal limit is 1.6 1.6 1.6

You prob wanna change at 2 2 2 though to be safe!

So id say you have at least 5K left!

Which is excellent wear 30K in total or maybe more who knows!

You got 26K and the reading is 4 4 4!

Well considering the legal limit is 1.6 1.6 1.6

You prob wanna change at 2 2 2 though to be safe!

So id say you have at least 5K left!

Which is excellent wear 30K in total or maybe more who knows!

Hi welcome to Loc. I got 36k out of my Dunlop Sp9000's. 50/50 driving style i.e soemtimes fast, sometimes slow. I did get the geo sorted by Tony Bones (Wheels in motion) before the new tryes were out on. I did the same again when before new tyres were put on, just to make sure he was happy with the setup. All was ok.

hi and welcome

I can fully recommend the Falken fk452 they are awesome never lost the back end yet wet or dry they are priced very well and are also made by the goodyear/dunlop rubber group in japan so use the same technology as the f1 etc only much cheaper give them a shot you will not be disapointed guys and girl :driving: .

• 1 month later...

Hi Guy's,

Me again, well managed to get another couple of thousand miles out of the current tyres, but it was wet this morning in Yorkshire and I lost the back end again (heart in mouth moment)!

Anyway, I decided on the Dunlop SP9000 (L). However, when I have phoned around for prices Lexus (Sheffield) have quoted me on the (L) Lexus specific, but other tyre places are telling me that the L specific is no longer available and that I would be OK with just the standard Dunlop SP9000. Does anyone know if what they are telling me is correct? They all seem to want to quote me for Bridgestone Protenza RE040's or RE050's....?

Thanks....

Hi Guy's,

Me again, well managed to get another couple of thousand miles out of the current tyres, but it was wet this morning in Yorkshire and I lost the back end again (heart in mouth moment)!

Anyway, I decided on the Dunlop SP9000 (L). However, when I have phoned around for prices Lexus (Sheffield) have quoted me on the (L) Lexus specific, but other tyre places are telling me that the L specific is no longer available and that I would be OK with just the standard Dunlop SP9000. Does anyone know if what they are telling me is correct? They all seem to want to quote me for Bridgestone Protenza RE040's or RE050's....?

Thanks....

Although I no longer have my Lexus, roughly 8 weeks ago I purchased 2 new Dunlop SP9000's (lexus pattern) from a local tyre place with no problems. It maybe that some places just don't stock them. I paid roughly £90 each incl vat and fitting.

Dave