Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi I'm Colin

colbecoz

Hi,

I'm Colin. Have always wanted a Lexus and took the plunge a month ago and bought a 52 plate used IS200 sport. Love the car, but over the past couple of weeks I have noticed a knock from the front when turning in reverse, jerky running when cold and clutch judder. Are these known problems on used Lexus? I bought it from Arnold CLark Lexus, so expected it to be 100%.

Col

Welcome to LOC :)

Right then you have come across pretty much all the known issues straight away!

1) Knock from the front - this could either be symptomatic of a worn balljoint or alternatively just a worn brake pad which is moving around in the caliper housing.

2) Jerky running when cold and clutch judder - this is a pretty common trait of the manual IS, does the clutch judder when warmed up or just when cold?

Welcome to LOC :)

Right then you have come across pretty much all the known issues straight away!

1) Knock from the front - this could either be symptomatic of a worn balljoint or alternatively just a worn brake pad which is moving around in the caliper housing.

2) Jerky running when cold and clutch judder - this is a pretty common trait of the manual IS, does the clutch judder when warmed up or just when cold?

Seems to be there when cold an warmed up.. I got a years warranty with the car, so, I hope this will cover any necessary repairs.

I am thinking of getting it re-chipped at Wallace Performance in Aberdeen. Is this wise???

Col..

To be honest probably not worth chipping a standard IS, costs a lot of money for very little gains!

I did sometimes get the gearknob shaking in sixth, but that was when the revs were low and the car was struggling, also amplified by the short shifter, you couldn't really tell with the standard shifter fitted.

Don't think they'll cover the judder when cold as that's pretty much the norm, as for when it's warmed up though, does sound a bit strange, when exactly does it judder when warm?

I am thinking of getting it re-chipped at Wallace Performance in Aberdeen. Is this wise???

Col..

Hi & welcome to LOC. Aido is right not worth chipping just now. I was at Wallace last night having mine re-mapped, good bunch of guys, Russell is very helpful. If you have spare cash either spend on lowering or if you want a bit more power then Checkpoint (Aberdeen) will do you a new exhaust & pipercross induction kit for the same price as the new chip (approx).

If you need any more details just drop me a pm.

Cheers

Bobby

To be honest probably not worth chipping a standard IS, costs a lot of money for very little gains!

I did sometimes get the gearknob shaking in sixth, but that was when the revs were low and the car was struggling, also amplified by the short shifter, you couldn't really tell with the standard shifter fitted.

Don't think they'll cover the judder when cold as that's pretty much the norm, as for when it's warmed up though, does sound a bit strange, when exactly does it judder when warm?

Notice it when in traffic jams... stop start driving, taking away from trafffic lights and roundabouts etc.. IF I keep the rev's up I can stop the judder on take off, but don't want to wear the clutch out.

Been told that if I get it chipped... 300 BHP, I will get better fuel economy?? Maybe I won't bother now??

Appreciating your help greatly.

Col...

Col..

Hi & welcome to LOC. Aido is right not worth chipping just now. I was at Wallace last night having mine re-mapped, good bunch of guys, Russell is very helpful. If you have spare cash either spend on lowering or if you want a bit more power then Checkpoint (Aberdeen) will do you a new exhaust & pipercross induction kit for the same price as the new chip (approx).

If you need any more details just drop me a pm.

Cheers

Bobby

Hi Bobby, thanks. Russell is a good friend of my son Chris. He does work on his Nissan Skyline GTR33 It goes like a rocket. Been to a couple of meets at Crail and his skyline is up with some of the best.

I'm ot looking for perforance really, just improvements and better fuel economy. I really like the IS200 sport, just want to get it as near perfect as possiblel..

Col

300 bhp from 153 bhp with just a chip if that was the case everyone would be buying them for the IS!!!

As you've not had the car long maybe the judder is just you getting used to the clutch.

I'm not much of a petrol head I'm afraid, but, I do know they were going to do something else as well as chip it. Don't really understand all this re-mapping stuff either. Just read that if you use higher Octane petrol like Shell Vpower (which I had been using) there is a recommendation to re-set the ECU???

Col

300 bhp from 153 bhp with just a chip if that was the case everyone would be buying them for the IS!!!

As you've not had the car long maybe the judder is just you getting used to the clutch.

I'm not much of a petrol head I'm afraid, but, I do know they were going to do something else as well as chip it. Don't really understand all this re-mapping stuff either. Just read that if you use higher Octane petrol like Shell Vpower (which I had been using) there is a recommendation to re-set the ECU???

Col

Col

A Dastek unichip & V-power will not give you anywhere near 300 bhp more like high 150's. I know that the Wallace guys know their stuff but unless they are turbo charging & a whole lot more you will not be getting 300bhp out of the IS200....oh & its gonna cost thousands to get those gains. Good luck though & enjoy the car. Can always meet up sometime, I'm in Kingswells.

Cheers

Bobby

Col

You can re-set the ecu yourself you only have to take a fuse out and then put it back in again after 30 seconds or so and it is recommended to do this when you buy a used car so that the ecu get's used to the way you drive and adapts to your driving style.

As Rogue has said it would take a huge amount of work to get the IS to 300 bhp as it is only 153 bhp as standard.

Col

Col

A Dastek unichip & V-power will not give you anywhere near 300 bhp more like high 150's. I know that the Wallace guys know their stuff but unless they are turbo charging & a whole lot more you will not be getting 300bhp out of the IS200....oh & its gonna cost thousands to get those gains. Good luck though & enjoy the car. Can always meet up sometime, I'm in Kingswells.

Cheers

Bobby

Y'know Bobby, I think I'll just leave things as they are. I don't want to spend mega bucks if you say it is not achievable, but, I do know as you say the wallace guys know what they're doing. Maybe meet up after I get back from holiday. Going on a two week Med' cruise tomorrow... I know Kingswells well. We used to live in Kinghorn and were round your way lot's of times...

Cheers

Col

I never thought of that... You could be right Rikos. Thanks. It's going into the Lexus dealer to get checked next week.

Col.......

Not sure whether that was sarcastic :shifty: but your welcome :lol:

Have a good time at your cruise and make sure the lexus dealers dont charge you if you ask them to reset your ECU as i said you can do this yourself in 2 mins.

Not sure whether that was sarcastic :shifty: but your welcome :lol:

Have a good time at your cruise and make sure the lexus dealers dont charge you if you ask them to reset your ECU as i said you can do this yourself in 2 mins.

Absolutely no sarcasm intended Rikos, genuinely grateful. (I am a virgin Lexus owner).

Cheers and thanks again..

Col

Col, if you want to reset your ECU, pop the bonnet, and there's a fuse box located just towards you in fron t of the Battery - remove the EFI and ETCS fuses for around a minute and that will reset your ECU for you :)

Good point on the judder being you getting used to the car- try and slip the clutch with higher revs a little bit on starts and that should help, just don't go crazy :)

Col, if you want to reset your ECU, pop the bonnet, and there's a fuse box located just towards you in fron t of the battery - remove the EFI and ETCS fuses for around a minute and that will reset your ECU for you :)

Good point on the judder being you getting used to the car- try and slip the clutch with higher revs a little bit on starts and that should help, just don't go crazy :)

Will do... Ta..

Have just registered for LOC gold membership. I find this invaluable.

Col..

Hi guys, I had an IS200se with the same problem of a judder. I thought it was just me for a while, but then realised it was the car. Lexus first said it was a trait of the car, which you guys seem to agree with (but remember, this isn't a Ford! Lexus shouldn't have these traits! :tomato: ) I said I wasn't happy with it and was then told it would need a whole new clutch! They also kindly said it couldn't have been there when they sold me the car and clutch is not covered by warranty. :angry: Bless them! :heart:

Been told that if I get it chipped... 300 BHP, I will get better fuel economy?? Maybe I won't bother now??

Appreciating your help greatly.

Col...

now that i have picked myself up from the floor after a laughing fit....... if a company said u can get 300bhp by just fitting a chip ( which you cant do on the IS anyway- would have to be a piggy back ECU at the very least) then go elsewhere as they obviously have absolutly no idea about the IS engine, to get to that level would require turbocharging and to be on the safe side an engine rebuild using stronger components.

As for the clutch the flywheel is a dual mass unit so that causes the judder.