Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is220d Still Of The Road.

my is220d failed a few weeks back with 5th injector faults. It's not an uncommon problem as at the time there were 6 others in the dealers with the same problem. I was told parts in on the 20th june fixed by the weekend. Looks like i may be in for a little more waiting as now I have been told that the parts are on back order till mid July.

I am really disappointed in Lexus. Having purchased a 30k car, I had the pleasure of driving it for 3 months before it developed the fault. So 3 months on the road, 1 month off. If anyone asks if I would recommend Lexus the answer will be a very strong no. If anyone else is in the same situation what story are Lexus telling you? Are these parts being made from unicorn droppings?

All the cars I have owned this car has been of the road longer than the rest put togther - and thats a big list with a lot of brands, some of which don't try and sell themselves on luxury.

I think that the pursuit of excellence is very apt, because they obviously realise they are not there yet.

I should have also asked does anyone think Lexus GB will offer any form of compensation. Should I ask? After all I am paying for a 30k car whilst pootling around in the most basic hire car.

I should have also asked does anyone think Lexus GB will offer any form of compensation. Should I ask? After all I am paying for a 30k car whilst pootling around in the most basic hire car.

Why are you accepting the hire car?. Go back into them, drop the keys on the managers table and insist you are not leaving until they give you another IS or higher level car to drive while you wait.

If you get no joy them tell him your next stop is to your solicitors office with a view to rejecting the car or looking for compensation. Also mention a few local papers that might be interested in hearing about the drop in customer services at his dealership.

Any item has to perform the function it is designed for. When it breaks down the warranty should fix it...that's how the law sees it...

So for you to reject it, yu have to give the dealer a fair chance to resolve the issues. Lexus's pledge is 2 dealer fixes for a specific fault on a car, then it's referred to Lexus Technical services, who take it away and fix it or other wise. You'r is a good case to take it to Lexus Technical - tell the dealer to do it if this a repeated attempt. They apparently have to get Lexus Techies involved...

Rejecting....boy it reminds me of the stress I had...it does come down to the dealer and how much they value your custom. I failed to reject mine - my dealer would have pushed me down the legal route and my legal advice said accept it - you can only lose...

You have to remember that it's the dealer who takes the financial hit for a rejection, not Lexus, unless Lexus agrees to a swop. Dealers are there to make money, not lose money...so they will push you...like I said above, it takes extraordinary customer focus for a dealer to agree to a rejection off their own back...especially on a new car, where the depreciation is heavy. An approved used car is different - in 30 days if it comes back, they stick it on the forecourt again for exactly the same price. They can't do with a new car....

PS - some owners have had really bad new IS's, and have changed them (people on this forum) and whilst none of them have stated what they got in terms of a deal, they will have to shell out more money...

PS - I really have to comment on this though - why are there 6 others IS's with the same problem? Is it something more common to that area? Air quality, fuel or what? There has to be more to this....

It's also amazing that the dealer is happy for you to have the cr4ppy hire car for such an extended period of time - that is not acceptable. Ask for a Lexus immediately - you are well within your rights - it's not your fault this has happened, and aftersales management should kick in....even if it's an IS200/300 - it's got to be better than what you've been given?

I'm one of the 220d victims... Went in first time, 5th injector, they updated ECU, worked for 1 week, went back in, they allegedly changed the 5th injector, worked for a week, happened again, went back in to garage. first week I had a hire car, astra, it was terrible. second time (third visit for same problem) I had a Vectra, also terrible... The indicators in a vauxhall alone will drive you nuts!

Anyway, when I had the vectra, they werent really telling me anything... They told me the same thing about the part coming on the 20th (ish) June. I became increasingly frustrated with the fact that I had been driving a vauxhall for best part of a month, for the price of a lexus. I had the astra one week, then vectra for 2. I complained to Lexus GB and they replaced the hire car immediatly, no questions asked. They gave ma black E class, 07 plate, Avantgarde. Fantastic. Suddenly i wasn't too bothered.

Obviously the 20th June has come and gone. I didnt get any communication from the dealer about what was happening, the part had already arrivived and presumably had been fitted. I didn't want to pester them 'coz the E class is superb. I just called about 10 minutes ago and now i'm told they are waiting on more parts??? One arriving 5th July and the other arrives 19th July!!!! Don't get me wrong, I am delighted that i'm cruising around in an E class, but it gets you pretty paranoid when you are being messed about like this. If I don't get it back till end of July that will be 2 months, and i have yet to get an explanation of the problem. I got an explanation of the 5th injector thing, then they changed it, then it happened again, since then I get nothing...

But still... happy days in the Merc - Deffinitly contact Lexus GB

I hear the guy who makes the part is on holiday for the month, and no one else knows how to make it :-)

I thought if it was three attempts to fix you could reject the car?

I am now driving around in one of germany's finest. The fuel consumption and kick puts the lexus to shame. at least Lexus has helped me to decide what I shall pick for my next company car. This is a very prolonged test drive.

If I get any updates I will post them here. Knowing that one person has received parts should allow us to put pressure and get the parts for others.

But from another post it sounds like some other dealers are able to lay there hands on the parts a lot quicker, and for those whose car's are not of the road. Go figure.

I hear the guy who makes the part is on holiday for the month, and no one else knows how to make it :-)

I thought if it was three attempts to fix you could reject the car?

I am now driving around in one of germany's finest. The fuel consumption and kick puts the lexus to shame. at least Lexus has helped me to decide what I shall pick for my next company car. This is a very prolonged test drive.

If I get any updates I will post them here. Knowing that one person has received parts should allow us to put pressure and get the parts for others.

But from another post it sounds like some other dealers are able to lay there hands on the parts a lot quicker, and for those whose car's are not of the road. Go figure.

LOL @ the guy being on holiday... You just the impression that there up to something? I think someone on this forum suggested that they should of recalled but were trying to cover up the mistake, or a bad batch went out or something... Unless they just don't know what's the problem is and are still trying to figure it out... I really dont know, don't know much about these things... It will all come out in the wash, as the saying goes..

Will also keep you updated... But yeah, the merc is fantastic, I read a review saying that staring down at the badge on the bonnet gives you a great feeling of "well being" - so true :winky:

I hear the guy who makes the part is on holiday for the month, and no one else knows how to make it

When I complained to my local lexus body shop that they'd not fitted a badge straight I was told that it would be a while before they could fix it as the person who fits badges to cars was on holiday :wacko:

I rejected my 55 plate GS following rattle issues on the basis that not as described the car is a/ not of satisfactory quality b/ not fit for the purpose c/ not as described. However, the dealer had two attempts to rectifiy the rattle and has finally agreed to replace the car with like for like.

Get the dealer to underwrite that as this is a known problem, they will pay for the cost of repairs should the same problem occur as long as you own the car. Please get this on a letter headed paper.

A good friend once told me that its easier to find faults in belongings than it is to truly appreciate what you have.

LEXUS ARE GREAT!

I know this may seem a little surprising to hear, but that would be because whenever people make a post on this web site it seems to be to complain.

I am the owner (not a lease driver who never actually OWN a Lexus) of an IS220 and i am proud to be an owner of a Lexus.

I have had the same 5th injector/car off road trouble as a very few people seem to have suffered and the way the repair was handled was fantastic.

As for "staring down at the badge on the bonnet gives you a great feeling of "well being"" i would suggest you learn that a Merc badge is costing approximately £5000 (assuming you could afford the top spec Is - if not more than £5000)

Not quite sure own vs lease has to do with this thread...

Glad to hear that your experience was good, and I am sure that there are a few more like you who had a good experience.

I have no brand loyalty to any product - I always go for 'best of breed', I do not respect a badge but each product I judge on its own merit.

I was using this forum to determine if the 5th injector problem was a known fault and if so how long others were waiting for parts. It appears it is.

Lexus are obviously a respected brand by others - witness the news on the bbc news site yesterday about the what car reports.

But in my opinion, and the words of Lexus GB, there is a known fault on the IS220d.

Why have they not issues a recall on this? (I guess the clip in Fight Club was right).

There are many vehicles are various dealers awaiting a fix. Mine has taken just under a month.

Its a problem that all IS220d owners/users should be wary of and should ask for a fix at their local dealer as soon as is convinient. Lexus GB are not at the moment pro-actively fixing the issue so one day you, your partner, and your kids may be stranded goodness knows were and goodness knows what time for who knows how long whilst you await the tow truck.

Hey now this is almost spooky , My Lexus is also still off the road , but for a different reason , the 12k's worth of accident damage , however i want my IS back its a nice comfortable car ,and i tested the 3 series to just remind myself as it was borderline rightoff .

However i belive parts supply from lexus is the reason i havn't seen my lexus since Good (?) Friday ...... fortunately i have had decent hire cars as it was a no fault acident .

Currently an E class Avangarde 280 CDI , ..... now how is a huge V6 barge auto more economical and quicker driven by the same driver in the same way as my IS ....

ASK YOURSELF THAT ONE LEXUS GB !!!!!!!

the first hire car i had was a subaru Legacy Spec B 3.0 flat 6 .. sounded like my 911 .but boy ...... that gave me reason to pty far worse cosumption ..... consistent 15mpg ,but it was fun ....

however i have the fuel consumption 5th injector ecu remap hassle woes to deal with when and if my Lexus is finished.

Hire car at 165 + vat per day

90 days so far ad counting. :D at last payback for years of high premiums ...... now i understand why they are so high.

Currently an E class Avangarde 280 CDI , ..... now how is a huge V6 barge auto more economical and quicker driven by the same driver in the same way as my IS ....

ASK YOURSELF THAT ONE LEXUS GB !!!!!!!

I've been asking how my IS220d appears to be as econimical in many conditions as a 535d Twin Turbo 6 Cyl (3.0 Litre). Something somewhere is wrong, but no one knows the answer and at the moment everyones money is on it being E5 compliance, which apparently makes the car cleaner but thirstier...I thought we were supposed to be saving resources as well as the planet...???

I've heard that the new A4 will be fully Euro 5 compliant, so lets use that as a a Bench mark, 'cos that will certify whether I at least keep the Lexus or not...

As far as the Lex being off the road is concerned, mine hasn't actually ever broken down at all, so I'm OK in that regard, but so far everything that has been reported as affecting "a minority" of cars has to some degree affected mine.

So I wake up everyday thinking whether today will be the day when mine goes into safe mode or crawls to a stop...such is my bad luck so far that it's bound to happen and I have never had full confidence of build integrity in my car. What is going to happen is that my car will be going to have a whole plethora of new rattles to be fixed. This will be the 3rd rattle visit (4th for the centre speaker one which appears to have been reborn).

I'm convinced that there are some very poorly built cars out there. Not good, not good at all...especially when dealers just do the minimum. Mine is now going to have to have the whole dash out job. If my dealer tries to put me off doing it, it'll go back to Lexus for them to honour the pledge of Lexus Technical getting involved.

I never wanted this to happen, but 2 months short of 18 months, and the car rattles more than ever before. It's only done 11500 motorway miles...but those rattles (which come and go) make it sound like 111,500 miles...

I've criticised the car where deserved and given it credit where deserved, but those credits are now fast running out and I am now convinced I should have used my head!

This car was supposed to last us 6 years, and yet we've been thinking of chopping it in for nearly a year...if I'd had the cash I would have had that A6 2.7TDi Quattro on my drive with a '56 plate on it...

Well it's back.....

Have noticed town driving economy has gone from 32 to 37 mpg. This is a sport model.

I hope its fixed for good, cause looking at this car makes me remember why I picked this one in the first place.

Well it's back.....

Have noticed town driving economy has gone from 32 to 37 mpg. This is a sport model.

I hope its fixed for good, cause looking at this car makes me remember why I picked this one in the first place.

So looking at the car makes you remember why you picked it in the first place? Or wonder why you picked it? As a matter of interest, why did you? Diesel & Sport don't go together in my opinion :tomato: ..but it's just my opinion.

Remembered, not wondered. Choice was down to company car lists and limits on engine sizes. Also company car tax, the v6 would be a lot heftier than the diesel.

Bizarre as my last car had 60bhp more than the 250, but because it was acheived through a turbo it was allowed.

A good friend once told me that its easier to find faults in belongings than it is to truly appreciate what you have.

LEXUS ARE GREAT!

I know this may seem a little surprising to hear, but that would be because whenever people make a post on this web site it seems to be to complain.

I am the owner (not a lease driver who never actually OWN a Lexus) of an IS220 and i am proud to be an owner of a Lexus.

I have had the same 5th injector/car off road trouble as a very few people seem to have suffered and the way the repair was handled was fantastic.

As for "staring down at the badge on the bonnet gives you a great feeling of "well being"" i would suggest you learn that a Merc badge is costing approximately £5000 (assuming you could afford the top spec Is - if not more than £5000)

For the record, I loved the first trouble free 10k miles in my 220D. I've also been a BMW fanatic for most of my life and hesitantly went for the Lexus and had, and have no regrets.

I don't know much about cars mechanically, and the Lexus is my first 'prestige' car, and new car for that matter. Before this I had a Golf, and before that I had a Corsa. I ran them both to the ground - in terms of mileage - and I never had repeated issues like this, neither was I ever without the cars for so long. As i said in another thread, my R reg Corsa had less issues post 100K Miles.

Despite the farce with this dreaded 5th Injector, I must admit that I am looking forward to getting it back and, being aware of the price difference in the Merc, I do wonder how it can be justified.

Maybe this is a case of "you get what you pay for" or it could just be case of bad luck... If the former is the case here, I would happily pay an extra 5K for a prestige, trouble free car :-)

...but then again i would rather Lexus just got it third time lucky and I gave me the car back in working order

It looks like this problem is getting bigger by the day :o .

I have had my IS220 for 6 months and put 25k on the clock in this time the VSC warning lights have come on 4 times.

The first time was put down to dodgy fuel, the second time was a faulty sensor, the third time the ECU and 5th injector was replaced. This time the light came on I phoned the dealer and was told to get it recovered back to my local Lexus dealer(all other times I was told to drive it in). This was done to make sure Lexus technical got involved as the dealer had done every thing possible to fix the car. I was given a golf to drive (delivered to me at work)for 2 days until a top spec GS300 was available. The dealer has been excellent throughout this recurring fault and have always given me good cars until my one was fixed (4 days was the longest to-date).

I have now told them that I want a car that actually works correctly even if this means a replacement car and will keep you all informed if I get any info ;) .

I am gutted the car keeps failing and hope they find a permanent fix ASAP (although I never need to wash and clean it as Lexus keep it clean)

Well it's back.....

So looking at the car makes you remember why you picked it in the first place? Or wonder why you picked it? As a matter of interest, why did you? Diesel & Sport don't go together in my opinion :tomato: ..but it's just my opinion.

Tango, you should really try the 330d M sport, then and only then you can put sport with diesel :winky: