Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Quick Question

Just been pulled over a a police road check.

They were doing vechicle checks insurance etc

They gave me a £30 fix penatly notice for my plates.

They also removed my plate and took it, Can they do that?

I dont mind paying the £30 as my plates shouldnt be on the car, but wasnt happy they took the front plate!

PS they never mentioned my tinted windows

Andrew

I know there is powers in force to confiscate the number if you fail to show it correctly but ive never known an officer remove a plate from a car

Surely having no front plate on would be an offence anyway and i always thought you were givern chance to put the plate correct.

I know there is powers in force to confiscate the number if you fail to show it correctly but ive never known an officer remove a plate from a car

Surely having no front plate on would be an offence anyway and i always thought you were givern chance to put the plate correct.

I may look into this.

I did ask the police what would happen if i got stopped today or while waiting for new plates to show up.

He said just show them your ticket

funnily enough earlier this week was having a similar, convo re the plates with out computer man at work.

he was telling me that legally you only have to have one number plate and the second is there for convenience, dunno if hes right or not!

funnily enough earlier this week was having a similar, convo re the plates with out computer man at work.

he was telling me that legally you only have to have one number plate and the second is there for convenience, dunno if hes right or not!

look at most countries they only have back number plate

When i got pulled for my plates, i got a 30 pound fine, and was told to change them,

he did say that they could take the reg no. from me as well, but let me off.

He didnt say anything about them removing the plates

look at most countries they only have back number plate

Some states in the US don't need a front plate, not heard of anywhere else that doesn't though. I would debate 'most countries', certainly!

I've read in letters to bike magazines of officers removing non-standard number plates, which are much more common on bikes than cars - though I'm not sure on what legal basis they could do this. Even if it isn't a conforming number plate, it is still your personal property... If it happened to me I'd be taking careful notes of his shoulder number and name.

I think removing it from the vehicle and confiscating it is a bit extreme - you still have the rear one on don't you? Isn't this just as "illegal"?

Pointless, just generates more time-wasteage for police officers having to stop and check out why you don't have them. Plus more paperwork back at the station I wouldv'e thought.

J

I think removing it from the vehicle and confiscating it is a bit extreme - you still have the rear one on don't you? Isn't this just as "illegal"?

Pointless, just generates more time-wasteage for police officers having to stop and check out why you don't have them. Plus more paperwork back at the station I wouldv'e thought.

J

ye still have one on the back but its illegal

tbh i dont see what the big fuss is with plates, i disagree with those that change certain letters or numbers to look like something else, but the issue of incorrect spacing is a farce i think, as long as it is clearly readable i dont see what the problem is IMO