Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Had a puncture at the weekend! :(

Got it repaired as a temporary thing to keep me mobile.

Question is, do I trust a repaired tyre? My gut says get it swapped....

I phone everywhere for quotes on it, 245/45/R17 Bridgestone Potenza, could not beat Bracknell tyres, £116 all in!!! Most places were quoting me £180 plus!

Your going to be paying high prices as you've got 245's and they dont come cheap. I'd say £116 is a good price. If the tyre has been repaird it should be just as safe as your normal wheels as long as the tyre has been repaired properly but no garage would let you ride on tyres that could cause an accident (well they shouldnt) I had my tyre repaired about 2 months ago and it's been no different than normal.

I have absolutly no issues with using a tyre that has been repaired using a proper repair kit. I assume the repair involved the tyre coming off and plug being put in from the inside??

I'd stick with the repaired one, it'll be mushroom plugged, so should be fine (unless you curbed it and potentially damaged the sidewall). They wouldn't have repaired it unless it was a straighforward jobby...Mind you, £116 isn't bad.

The other thing to consider is how much wear has there been etc. already on your tyres, if they're already pretty worn then you may as well run it 'cos it should last anyway.

My car is on 11500 miles and the rears are already 50% worn. Seems heavy to me, especially when you consider you have to try hard to spin the wheels...

One final comment is that I have found the Sportmaxx tyres to be quieter than Potenza's, so I'd run them for as long as you can as they are and then get the Sportmaxx's, keep the wear and patterns the same each side at the back.

as previously said, it depends on where the puncture was,

if you do go for a new tyre make sure that they put a potenza on, i had a new one from kwik fit and they put on a turenza thinking that i wouldnt notice, i took 2 weeks and a lot of phone calls to get it changed

Since having my car IS250 one tyre has had three punctures! The first time it was repairable. The second time it was replaced as it was not repairable. The third time it was repaired.

Previous to that my IS200 had a puncture too that was repaired and again there were no problems.

I have no qualms about the repairs (and they are a LOT cheaper than buying a new one). If done properly there should be no issues.

one tyre has had three punctures!

How did you manage to puncture the same tyre three times? . . . . . :ohmy:

He thought he was David Blaine and was parking on a bed of nails and never got further than putting the one wheel on :lol: :P

Thanks guys, really helpful....

I have to say, getting the Bridgestone Potenza 145/45/r17 95W RE050 for £119.80 all fitted and done I went for the new tyre, I guess it is my paranoia that makes me feel better having a new tyre.

The garage I went to to have it repaired only stuck on a little patch like I used to fit on my bicycle! I was just not happy with it and it was quite a big hole, so I went for a replacement.

I phoned Kwik fit and another local firm to me and neither were under £180 for the same tyre! I love Bracknell tyres! They beat all the price round here, only down side is you have to wait forever to get in!

Thanks though for all your advice on this!

Crazy really as I am thinking about changing over to an RX400h in the next month or so! :crybaby:

I suspect you have been sold the wrong tyre :( If I remember the weight code should be 91W not 95W and there is a little code round the outside which is the compound. I know this as the tyre place I went to phoned up Bridgestone twice while I was there to check and double check the tyre. Those I found on the www. and that I phoned locally were not a like for like spec.

:tsktsk: unlucky I guess, but to clarify the punctures didn't happen at the same time. One was a nail, one was a sharp stone, can't remember what was in it when it needed to be replaced.

He thought he was David Blaine and was parking on a bed of nails and never got further than putting the one wheel on :lol: :P

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I suspect you have been sold the wrong tyre :( If I remember the weight code should be 91W not 95W and there is a little code round the outside which is the compound. I know this as the tyre place I went to phoned up Bridgestone twice while I was there to check and double check the tyre. Those I found on the www. and that I phoned locally were not a like for like spec.

All the tyres on my car are 95w's, I just read what was on there and replaced it with the same. The car has only done 7000 miles and they are the original tyres that came with the car when I brought it :)

OK - fair enough. Not sure why they would put different spec. tyres on the same model car, is yours auto or manual? May be the difference.

Funny you should say that, mine is an auto. I double checked the tyres, the rears are 95w and the fronts are 90w...! Is this normal...

I am not too fussed as the car will be going soon.

i am quite concerned when u say they put a "patch" it should have been a T shaped plug that is pulled thru the tyre from the inside and the excess trimmed off flush with the tread, from the inside it will look like a patch but it isnt.

i am quite concerned when u say they put a "patch" it should have been a T shaped plug that is pulled thru the tyre from the inside and the excess trimmed off flush with the tread, from the inside it will look like a patch but it isnt.

YES! Thats what I thought, a patch with a bit that goes through. That is another reason I did not trust it.

the patch with a bit that goes thru is the standard plug and is perfectly safe - they come in 2 sizes that i know of, this is to allow for different puncture sizes.

I would have a good look at the tyre is u still have it and if it is indeed only a patch i would be making a few phone calls very quickly .

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links