Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Has anyone chipped a LS?

If so does it make a great difference in speed, noise, fuel consuption so forth

Thank you!!!!!

Mat

NOISE! In the quietest car on the road? The Ser 4 is 'chipped' in a way as it has adaptive gearbox!

Well i was thinking of a performance chip? My dads friend had it to all of his cars but not on the LS, was hoping someone has had it done?

Was a guy on Radio 4 today talking about Noises; said that in theory, we could soon have a choice of noises for our cars! So you could dial in the effects!! (OK, so it's not performance, but it makes I smile!)

Good luck with the search. I fancy a Turbo engine in my Nissan S-Cargo!

There was an article in one of the motoring magazines a few months ago on this subject and as well as perfomance chips there is also a "green" chip which apparently reduces emissions but given that the lexus engine is set for economy already the performance chip is the one for more power.

There has got to be a lot of scope on this I believe as the V8 only pushes out 250 BHP ( UCF10) and a Ford Focus ST gives 240 BHP out of a turbocharged Volvo 2.5 engine.

There is a supercharged model of the Celsior I think.

Having said all this the LS doesn't hang around even in it's standard guise for a 2 ton car if given the right pedal but I wouldn't like to end up with 12 MPG for the extra performance.

The only " advantage " of performance chippng I can see is faster acceleration ( the speed limit is still 70 MPH evn though we have a top speed of 155MPH) but there are not many too cars on the road to "challenge" an LS off the line.

Where I live we have the A38 bypass around Sutton in Ashfield a dual carriageway with many sets of traffic lights,I occasionally go into Mr. Hyde mode when in the left lane at the stop line I get a boy racer type next to me reving their car up waiting for the green light. A casual glance over, a flick on the sports mode button,right pedal down,no wheelspin due to tracs and goodbye fool!

A moment of madness then back to Dr.Jekill!!!

you need to check with www.lextreme.com - the guy twin turboed the LS400 in USA

I don't think you can "chip" the LS.

Easiest thing to do for performance would be to decat the car. Not sure how much extra you're going to get out of a NA V8 without some kind of forced induction.

Where I live we have the A38 bypass around Sutton in Ashfield a dual carriageway with many sets of traffic lights,I occasionally go into Mr. Hyde mode when in the left lane at the stop line I get a boy racer type next to me reving their car up waiting for the green light. A casual glance over, a flick on the sports mode button,right pedal down,no wheelspin due to tracs and goodbye fool!

Whereabouts are you then mate, I used to live around that way between Ripley and Belper and now live up Chesterfield way!

A lot of fun to be had on that road :D

Whereabouts are you then mate, I used to live around that way between Ripley and Belper and now live up Chesterfield way!

A lot of fun to be had on that road :D

I live in a small village called Riddings just outside Alfreton ( M1 Junc 28/A38) You must have lived around the Heage area then?

Yeah I know Riddings mate, I was a Mortos boy, have a lot of friends around all that area, Somercotes, Swanwick, Alfreton, Ripley, they're everywhere :D

Yeah you've got it, just down in Hartshay pal, moved up Ches for work then left that job and moved to Sheff, was thinking about moving to Sheff but having second thoughts about that one now!

Has anyone chipped a LS?

If so does it make a great difference in speed, noise, fuel consuption so forth

Thank you!!!!!

Mat

ME ME ME, Very soon as just bought one from the US eBay for the LS400.

Will update if I notice any difference or just a con.

Do NOT use this chip, all it does is fool the engine into thinking it is cold all the time, so the engine over fuels all the time using the cold start injector, it is not like a true performance chip, like Star performance or Superchip, which reprograms the engine mapping.

This is just a resistor that brings in the cold start cycle all the time and you will risk over fuelling and washing the petrol off the cylinder walls, killing the cat converters and your MPG will rocket, that is why it is so cheap and not £200 to £300.

MAT!! If you don't drive it.......WHY?

And

b/ the lst comment on 'Cold start' etc is JUST why this site is so useful!

I guess you could have the ports polished etc which would help, but ain't easy/cheap.

Do NOT use this chip, all it does is fool the engine into thinking it is cold all the time, so the engine over fuels all the time using the cold start injector, it is not like a true performance chip, like Star performance or Superchip, which reprograms the engine mapping.

This is just a resistor that brings in the cold start cycle all the time and you will risk over fuelling and washing the petrol off the cylinder walls, killing the cat converters and your MPG will rocket, that is why it is so cheap and not £200 to £300.

...which nicely illustrates that old saw:

IF IT SEEMS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE, IT IS.

I can back up what microcat said, I used to have a ford Ka (stop laughing) anf I fitted a blower to it, obviously with 8psi forced down it , there needed to be more fuel in too.

Van AAken developments did my re-maping with a fully programable piggyback ECU (like a superchip), the map these chips apply is steeper therefore more fuel at the top and less at the bottom.

I rant on because I asked at the time about what these £30 chips do and he relayed the same story about ignoring the air/fuel signals and basiacally telling the system it was cold applying the choke to force in more fuel. with a system with a seperate cold start injector, as micro cat says, just holds it open.

cold start system solenoids are also only rated for a low duty rate, something like 10%, so eventually it will burn out.

You see this is why i love this site, so many people are willing to give you help and give honest advice un like most. Thank you, really it was just an idea, as i have already put a lot of money into so i think i will just leave that side of things - makes sense, why fix when its not broke -

Chris - my car will soon be ready for me to drive touch wood, not long left till she is finished, ah i just want it finished now, its doing my nut in.

Thanks fellas for your advice

Mat

That's not a chip as such, it's a resistor array, with just one resistor in the array being used. Does the same job as a 4.7K resistor costing a few pence. I have yet to see a yellow-cased IC that isn't a resistor array! As far as I know ICs are always either epoxy resin (black) or ceramic (brown).

Here's what's in the box - £8.52 for a bag of 25. (29p+VAT each).

Here's what would do the same job - 15p for a bag of 10 (1.3p+VAT each).

This chip has been specifically programmed to optimize the performance of your vehicle.

Erm, how do you program a resistor array? The guy's just lying through his teeth.

You see this is why i love this site, so many people are willing to give you help and give honest advice un like most. Thank you, really it was just an idea, as i have already put a lot of money into so i think i will just leave that side of things - makes sense, why fix when its not broke -

Chris - my car will soon be ready for me to drive touch wood, not long left till she is finished, ah i just want it finished now, its doing my nut in.

Thanks fellas for your advice

Mat

Well, if you ever find yourself going down M5, turn off at Junction 18 (Avonmouth) and I'll let you drive a few blocks!Just to sharpen the appetite.

You'd think a fellow LS owner nearer to you would take pity! :whistling: