Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

40000 Service Is200

My IS was due the 40000 service it has now done 47000 the problem is I just can not afford the service. So my question to members is this what if anything can i do MYSELF or should i get a garage to as bare minimum i dont want to damage the car as it has no problems.

What do you recomend should be done AS A PRIORITY and what are the risks of not doing them?

Thanks in advance,

Jason

My IS was due the 40000 service it has now done 47000 the problem is I just can not afford the service. So my question to members is this what if anything can i do MYSELF or should i get a garage to as bare minimum i dont want to damage the car as it has no problems.

What do you recomend should be done AS A PRIORITY and what are the risks of not doing them?

Thanks in advance,

Jason

That depends on how competant a diy mechanic you are and how much you can afford to spend.

I'd say the oil and filter is a must. After that you're looking at air filter and spark plugs. Assuming everything else is working fine you could probably get away with leaving it at that for a while.

In your position I would get the main service items done gradually, say one or two things a month.

Don't forget that the majority of the service is just to check items, like hoses, brake wear, levels etc. and although they recommend brake fluid change every two years if you actually have the tool to test the brake fluid you'll find that it will remain in good condition for more than two years (in most cases) so changing it isn't really a priority. The same applies to coolant.

The one thing that is really important when it comes to servicing is the cambelt change, and I'd recommend getting that done at a dealer or at least a very good garage that gives a guarantee. Whenever you get this belt changed it's best to get the tensioners changed and on some cars the water pump.

I can't remember off the top of my head what the interval is for cam belt change on the IS.

If you need a list of service recommendations for 40k or 50k miles, let me know.

Finally, the risks of not doing the service (with the exception of the cambelt) are that the vehicle will not run at optimum performance, also you won't be aware of any defect which you may otherwise have spotted whilst doing the checks. :) Hope that helps

That helps a lot thanks for that as for my abilitys on the tools are not great but willing to learn.....

A list of recomendations would be great. As you suggested I will probably ask a mechanic to do these for me in stages so if you could list them in the order you think they should be done maybe a ruff guide to what you think it will cost that would be very helpfull.

Thanks again,

Jason.

Jason,

40k service includes the following:

-New oil and oil filter

-New pollen filter

-New coolant

-New diff oil

That's what Lexus re-newed when I had my 40k service done. Air filter and spark plugs are normally changed at 60k, but if you want, get them checked and if they look in a sorry state them get them replaced. Also give the car a once over, such check brakes, hoses etc.

Best sources for service items, other than Lexus are Chris Shipley, for items such as filters etc and eBay is also ideal for sourcing spark plugs, discs, pads etc.

Hope this helps.

That helps a lot thanks for that as for my abilitys on the tools are not great but willing to learn.....

A list of recomendations would be great. As you suggested I will probably ask a mechanic to do these for me in stages so if you could list them in the order you think they should be done maybe a ruff guide to what you think it will cost that would be very helpfull.

Thanks again,

Jason.

Recommendations:

Replace Cabin/Pollen filter

Renew Engine Oil & Filter

Renew Coolant/Anti-freeze

Renew - Brake fluid

Renew - Air Filter

Replace - Remote Fob Batteries

Clean & Lubricate Sunroof Seal

There are many things to check, most are just the physical condition or function of standard items such as lights, wipers, washers, horn, heaters, window & door operation, dash warning lamps not on etc etc. Just a general check of the car to make sure everything looks good and does it's job ok.

Other checks include underbonnet components such as fluid levels, condition of belts and hoses etc.

The full list is quite long so I've PM'd it to you.

Thanks for everything I feel a lot better now I was worried before. Im going to go through your list and do as much myself as possible it will be nice to learn a bit more about the car! Expect questions......lol

Again thanks to everyone

Jason.

• 1 month later...

Thanks in advance,

Jason

Lexus in Stockport are doing a special offer , £99 for a service with free timing belt change. Just had it done

Thanks for everything I feel a lot better now I was worried before. Im going to go through your list and do as much myself as possible it will be nice to learn a bit more about the car! Expect questions......lol

Again thanks to everyone

Jason.