Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

hey people, in about 4 weeks I'm going to have around 7-8k to be buy a car... now my previous car was a vectra, it was fast when i wanted it too be and reliable.

This is why i come to you, i have a shortlist and would like you lot to convince me. here goes...

the new vectra, an impreza, and the IS200 sport (is sport the best one to get?)

The Lexus kinda is in front slightly but i know nothing about them, comfortable, MPG, reliable, expensive to fix etc...

hey people, in about 4 weeks I'm going to have around 7-8k to be buy a car... now my previous car was a vectra, it was fast when i wanted it too be and reliable.

This is why i come to you, i have a shortlist and would like you lot to convince me. here goes...

the new vectra, an impreza, and the IS200 sport (is sport the best one to get?)

The Lexus kinda is in front slightly but i know nothing about them, comfortable, MPG, reliable, expensive to fix etc...

Hi and welcome.

Depending on what you want you can go for either the se or the sport the sport is a bit lower and has an lsd but thats about it.

I terms of the general is200 questions

they are very comfortable especially long distance they are extremely reliable however the know on effect to that is that they do drink fuel and when it comes to fixing and servicing what little does need changing does cost a bit. No more than merc or bm just probably a bit more than general motors

the sport sounds pretty good to me, i have a mixed driving style, i drive a lot of motorways, i don't batter or race at the lights etc...

However i do like to drive like a mad man occasionally, like donnington etc. i like the dials they are pretty funky for a car.

a few more... do they corner well (as in will i feel as the car is going to tip over)

acceleration... if i need to get out of a sticky situation etc

what is the norm cruising rate to get the best mpg (motorway)

thank you very much for your help

When you put your foot down there is a bit of power obviously not as much as a scooby and things like that as it's not built for it but their is enough. If the power is a big issue but you still want an IS then get a supercharger or a turbo fitted.

Overtaking cars 40-70 there is plenty of power and motorways you will rarely struggle in 6th but you can always drop to 5th. The IS is built for refinement and quality, to be practical yet stylish and a car that reallys gets attention. If you struggle to see what is so great you can look back at all the awards that lexus win and the IS has come top or close to the top in it's class every year since it's manufacture.

The MPG ranges between 20-30 and obviously 60 mph is the most economical speed on the motorway as it is with any car!! The handling is very good as long as the geometry has been done i have never felt that it is ever going to tip over or even struggle. The only thing you have to watch out for is icy or wet conditions as it is RWD but this is no different than any car.

I hope this helps.

When you put your foot down there is a bit of power obviously not as much as a scooby and things like that as it's not built for it but their is enough. If the power is a big issue but you still want an IS then get a supercharger or a turbo fitted.

Overtaking cars 40-70 there is plenty of power and motorways you will rarely struggle in 6th but you can always drop to 5th. The IS is built for refinement and quality, to be practical yet stylish and a car that reallys gets attention. If you struggle to see what is so great you can look back at all the awards that lexus win and the IS has come top or close to the top in it's class every year since it's manufacture.

The MPG ranges between 20-30 and obviously 60 mph is the most economical speed on the motorway as it is with any car!! The handling is very good as long as the geometry has been done i have never felt that it is ever going to tip over or even struggle. The only thing you have to watch out for is icy or wet conditions as it is RWD but this is no different than any car.

I hope this helps.

Yeah this really helps, i think im sold now thank you, obviously a scooby would produce a lot of power, im not really after a mass of power but from what you say it for the size engine etc it can be responsive if required and that seems fine to me.

Yup, i think im going to get one... thank you for your help.

Obviously with the Scooby you get the extra thrill factor from the power etc but they are let down on interiors and a fuel economy of about 18mpg roughly.

I changed from a scooby to an IS and i never looked back as i got more equipment and better mpg

Yeah this really helps, i think im sold now thank you, obviously a scooby would produce a lot of power, im not really after a mass of power but from what you say it for the size engine etc it can be responsive if required and that seems fine to me.

Yup, i think im going to get one... thank you for your help.

The best thing to do would be have a test drive and see if the power is enough for you. I'm sure there will be a member on here that lives near you that may be able to help with that.

The best thing to do would be have a test drive and see if the power is enough for you. I'm sure there will be a member on here that lives near you that may be able to help with that.

I have just moved to a town called ILKESTON... i don't know why :winky: but i haven't even seen a single Lexus.

However if there is anyone who can help then I'm ready available. you guys are a helpful bunch.

I have just moved to a town called ILKESTON... i don't know why :winky: but i haven't even seen a single Lexus.

However if there is anyone who can help then I'm ready available. you guys are a helpful bunch.

Welcome to the LOC mate good look with the hunt there a couple for sale on this site at the moment if you look in the cars for sale section you will find Bulldog's blue 1 which i've seen and is in amazing condition for £7500-£8000?

So your just the other side of Derby then mate think theres a few members that way on? you could always come to JAE SHOW in 3wks time there will be quite a few members cars you can have a good look at and its going to be a good week end :D

Fugu...

its very easy for us all to note all the goodies about the IS, it is a great car.

But like all other cars there are common faults.. and the IS is no different.

One major fault is the tracking - geometry.. its often out and generates inner tyre wear on the front 2, expensive in tyre replacements and dangerous, £100 to fix.

then theres the CD player - £200, ball joints - £100, front fog mist - £50, Clutch judder... and so on.

so if you do buy one, dont buy it then think its the most reliable car around..... its realiable. <-- full stop ..... but so was my old Mk1 laguna [do you get my drift?]

sorry for being devils advocate, but im a realist.

We have meets fairly often and i'm trying to get a regular midlands meet set up which would be in your area. As aztecbandit has said try and come along to JAE that's going to be a fantastic weekend.

If you want to be taken for spin and have a close up look at an IS then i am 40 miles away and could sort meeting up half way on Saturday or something if you'd like.

In reply to Vyker - There is no illusion that the IS will have no problems but it is alot more reliable than alot of cars ... it doesnt build the reputation that it has done without being a very good car. Yes the IS has it's faults like any car that is true but things like ball joints are common faults with most cars. Also the geometry is not dangerous or expensive as long as you check the tyre wear every now and then to check your tyres, which should be done on any car when you first purchase it or when going on a long journey, if spotted can be solved quickly and easily.

I find that owning an IS is alot less stress free than any other car i've owned as of yet. Before it is mentioned yes i do know that every one has had their own experiences.

So although i agree with you Vyker i also belive the IS to be a much better car than the majority of cars in it's class!

We have meets fairly often and i'm trying to get a regular midlands meet set up which would be in your area. As aztecbandit has said try and come along to JAE that's going to be a fantastic weekend.

If you want to be taken for spin and have a close up look at an IS then i am 40 miles away and could sort meeting up half way on Saturday or something if you'd like.

In reply to Vyker - There is no illusion that the IS will have no problems but it is alot more reliable than alot of cars ... it doesnt build the reputation that it has done without being a very good car. Yes the IS has it's faults like any car that is true but things like ball joints are common faults with most cars. Also the geometry is not dangerous or expensive as long as you check the tyre wear every now and then to check your tyres, which should be done on any car when you first purchase it or when going on a long journey, if spotted can be solved quickly and easily.

I find that owning an IS is alot less stress free than any other car i've owned as of yet. Before it is mentioned yes i do know that every one has had their own experiences.

So although i agree with you Vyker i also belive the IS to be a much better car than the majority of cars in it's class!

Thank you very much, if i can get out of my meeting I'll let you know about sat. i see what everyone is saying and I'm looking forward to owning one. the best part is i will have 350 a month disposable if required. This meet sounds great, think I'll put my name down.

Let me just get in here, I've had my IS200 for close on 2 years now, we've had our ups and downs, she's cost me few bob here and there. Recently I was promoted at work and landed on my feet with a pay rise that more than doubled my current wage so my first thought was "new car time". I have searched and searched and re-searched and test drove and searched some more, I honestly cant find a car I would swap my IS for, and I've been lookin at porsches, beemers, mercs, Evo's and scoobies but every time I look at my lex I just cant see any car better, sure they might be faster, but that is all they are, and if I want to I can make my IS faster! So that is what I have decided to do with my new pay rise, make my IS faster, dunno how yet but I know I aint gonna sell it so I'm off to see if I can find a supra engine going cheap :D

So just buy an IS, you wont be dissapointed.

Oh and dont get one with a spoiler, they look gay :P

B)-->

QUOTE(Hank B @ Jun 28 2007, 11:13 PM)
What spoilers do you mean anyway?

The high level ones on the older 200 sport's. If you must get a spoiler get the little lip one its nearly nice. :hehe:

I can live with that :P