Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Are Bigger Wheels Always Bad? Weight? Geometry Setup?

Anees

Hi guys,

I am considering getting 19" wheel for the BMW, but the principle is the same. I want to go for staggered setup, with wider rear. The car currently has standard 18" BMW MV2 alloys on.

I have read on various forums that bigger wheels are for show rather then go and that 19" compromise handling and increase tyre noise, harder ride and increase tramlining and other bad stuff that I can't remember :blush: A lot of higher performance cars, such as the M3 CSL, some Porsche, Performance Merc's etc come with 19" wheels as standard. That must mean that these cars are specifially setup to take into account the wheel size?

I guess what I am trying to ask, is that if I got 19" wheels for my car and got the geometry properly setup to take the wheels into account, could I reduce alot of the negative aspects of 19" wheels handling wise? (..... :whistling:...Dr Bones Where For Art Thou...:lol:....)

Also, I have been looking at wheel weights too. Would a lighter 19" wheel, handle better then a heavier 18" wheel? The standard BMW MV2 alloys are pretty heavy! I assume Light wheels also increase responsiveness and pickup too?

Sorry..I'm probably not making much sense, but was just after some general advice regarding setting a car up optimally for 19" wheels and what best to go for weight wise.

The reason I want 19" wheels is that due to my job, I can't really afford to lower the car (speed bumps), so the 19" will fit the arches very nicely! :D

Thanks

Anees :)

:o a BMW question on a Lexus forum.........shock horror !!!!

try wheels in motion`s` own site WIM

Oops! Wrong forum! :blush::lol: (I was thinking that once I clicked submit!)

Not really a BMW specific question - the principle of putting bigger wheels on is the same I assume no matter what car. :) More after general advice.

BMW indeed :whistling: Anyhoo i have covered both areas in wim....

http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/forum/ind...ic=1462&hl= That's your suspension and wheel issue dealt with. As for the tyre width....

http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/forum/ind...?showtopic=1212 And that's the tyre width dealt with. If you want to see the lovely images........ Register :)

Anyhoo Anees.... What gives with the beamer???

Anees, if you want to try 19inch on your BMW ??? i have a set of BMW 19inch you can try mate :winky:

You would still have to get your car set-up, but it would give you the feel :D

Ps, your BMW has wider rear as standard :winky: 255/35/18, 8.5j and front 235/40/18, 8j :winky:

BMW indeed :whistling: Anyhoo i have covered both areas in wim....

http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/forum/ind...ic=1462&hl= That's your suspension and wheel issue dealt with. As for the tyre width....

http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/forum/ind...?showtopic=1212 And that's the tyre width dealt with. If you want to see the lovely images........ Register :)

Anyhoo Anees.... What gives with the beamer???

Thanks Tony - your the man! I am actually a member of your site (member No. 10) :) As Gord has said, my car has a standard wider rear tyre as standard.

Re the Beemer - I bought it in December mate, since I wanted something more economical then the Lexus and alot quicker. Its a nice car, but I do miss the Lexus too. :)

More info here

I shall have a look at your links :)

Anees, if you want to try 19inch on your BMW ??? i have a set of BMW 19inch you can try mate :winky:

You would still have to get your car set-up, but it would give you the feel :D

Ps, your BMW has wider rear as standard :winky: 255/35/18, 8.5j and front 235/40/18, 8j :winky:

Gord.......what a an offer! THANKS! I might take you up on that offer mate! I promise to clean them too! :lol:

With the 18", when I am on the motorway and drop to say 4th and then floor the car I can feel the back squirming slightly as the car tries to put down the power.