Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi

Just bought an LS400 MkIII on a 97(P) plate. What a car and what value! I can see myself driving one of these for a few years to come but just wondered if I should be on the look out for a MK IV? Does it offer real significant improvements/benefits over the one I have. Mine is on 145K with FLSH and 2 belt changes on the dot. Drives a dream.

Thanks

VT

Hi

Just bought an LS400 MkIII on a 97(P) plate. What a car and what value! I can see myself driving one of these for a few years to come but just wondered if I should be on the look out for a MK IV? Does it offer real significant improvements/benefits over the one I have. Mine is on 145K with FLSH and 2 belt changes on the dot. Drives a dream.

Thanks

VT

Take a look on the Lexus website, under used cars, and you can see the differences between mk3 and mk4 and other versions. Your suspension is probably worn at 145k, so expect some bills for new control arms soon (unless they've already been done!).

Cue: Skelton to tell you about his traction control...

THAT was cute! Hadn't realised that people were hanging on my every word!

As intimated by my erudite and immensely well read associate Mr J.Bean, one of the differences is that the Ser 4 has traction control. ALL the US models had this from Ser 1, so....why not here? (Would seem wierd to take something OFF that was standard on 90% of your output?)

I too, was very happy with my Ser 3, but once wiggled it in the wet, and thought I'd like the extra security

(oh yeah? Wiggled my Ser 4 in the wet last week....again!)

The power goes down so easily, it needs a gentle foot!

The Ser 4 is quicker, and has an adaptive gearbox, plus Sat Nav.Those are the main differences, plus different lights, I guess.

If you'd have had my 50K mile Ser 3, I'd say, keep it. But....yes, A ser 4 with sub-100K on it would keep you (and is me) going for quite a few years. Mines only on 77K.

A few folk on here think it's the best version of the LS and that the LS430 rides a bit harder as they slip into 'German' mode too much. And looking at recent prices, they're a bargain.Get a nice Maroon one.

Now, if you want to know about hi-fi.......wait. Come back.... :lol: B)

intelligent transmission makes traction control dead ( UK only ) from mid 1991

Wot? No comprendez!

Do you mean it's unnecessary, or it won't work? New one to me! (As i still spin the wheels on occasion, maybe it's ....

Author(s):

Hiroji Taniguchi - Toyota Motor Corp.

Yasushi Ando - Toyota Motor Corp.

Abstract:

A new automatic transmission, engineered from concept for "intelligent" and "anti-aging" (long life), has been designed and developed for Toyota's luxury passenger car, Lexus LS400. This system, which has resulted in silky-smooth shift quality without changes in the long term, is composed of a transmission computer that interacts with engine computer, a number of sensors, an electronically controlled hydraulic unit with linear solenoid valves and assorted devices.

As new control logic being developed with the aid of computer simulation to achieve distinction, the hydraulic and engine controls are combined in this system. There is a "feedback control", where the clutch pressure is controlled according to the rate of acceleration and compensated for dispersion to applied pressure, engine torque and/or the coefficient of dynamic friction of clutches, and at the same time engine torque is reduced by retarding ignition timing,

a little more to it than just spinning the wheels ( personally I never did like traction control ) it takes the fun out of the drive as does ABS but im stuck with that, with all that in mind I would say much improved power transfer to the rear wheels,

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links