Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cambelt Change Water Pump Check

murph

Hi All

My MK3 have covered some 125K miles now and I am having the cambelt and tensioners changed at the weekend, has anyone had the experiance of having to change the waterpump at the same time whilst it is in this state of repair?

Anything else I should get them to look at?

Thanks

Paul

Hi,

Personally I would for the smallish extra cost involved have the water pump replaced at the same time,because the strip down is virtually the same just for pump replacement.

There was a guy on here not long ago that had just the cambelt done then had a water pump failure shortly afterwards.

Cheers

Steve

Many thanks for your reply.

The car has now been done by the garage in High Wycombe and wow what a differance, the car feels more "on the button" than before. The water pump was fine but good job I agreed to the tensioner change as their bearings were noisey.

The whole job cost around £650 with parts being over £350 so I didn't think it was too bad. I would recommend L&M International in High Wycombe if you are looking for similar work to be done. Thanks guys

MURPH

Hello Alex

My understanding is that the car needs cambelt change every 60,000 miles, mine was done by Lexus Glassgow at 62,000 and now at 127,000.

The belt that came out was in great condition just a bit streatched, no cracks from what I could see and the original marks for lining up yje timing points were still on the rubber!

All the best

Murph

• 5 weeks later...
Hello Alex

My understanding is that the car needs cambelt change every 60,000 miles, mine was done by Lexus Glassgow at 62,000 and now at 127,000.

The belt that came out was in great condition just a bit streatched, no cracks from what I could see and the original marks for lining up yje timing points were still on the rubber!

All the best

Murph

Change your cambelt every 60,000miles if you can. With the LS400 the drive belt must be changed every year or 12,000 miles if you can, As it's open to the weather. You can also take of one the rotar arm covers off and have a look at the belt throught that point and decide if it needs to be done. Mine was due, But after seeing it. The job wasn't due that soon, But did it anyway.