Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Very Strange Window Behaviour?

Hi,

I don't know how to explain this but in plain english.

1) at 3:30PM I parked my car in the driveway with all the windows closed and the doors locked.

2) at 6:15PM I go to my car and the two front windows are 1/2 open and the two rear windows are 1/4 open.

I am firstly shocked and then confused, just to make sure I didn't leave the doors unlocked I checked the doors and they were locked. I then unlocked the doors and tried to open/close the windows and nada nothing happened. The remote was in my pocket during the whole period so I am totally confused as to what has happened and not sure if this is a fault or a feature?

15 minutes before I went to my car my wife took the rubbish out and she said all the windows were closed.

Should I be reading the handbook and this is a feature or?

There is a feature relating to the windows. If you hold down the unlock button on your key fob it will lower all the windows but I thought they went all the way down but may be wrong and would have thought it would also unlock the car so not quite sure.

J.T

I had this happen a few times when I first got my car - one time it happened during a rainstorm and my car got a bit wet inside... Anyway I had the dealer switch off the auto 'down' on the windows. It's never happened since so I can only put it down to me sitting on the buttons on the remote when it's in my back pocket.

You are right I just tested it with the fob and the windows come down exactly how I saw them. I must have had the fob pressed for a short period of time and because I didn't attend to the car the doors locked themselves. That's a relief at least I now know of another feature :)

Maybe there should be a feature list in this section.

:offtopic: Is there a panic alarm feature on the fobs or in the car? I have seen USA fobs which have the panic alarm key on the fob but mine doesn't :(

• 4 weeks later...

Guys, I think there might be an issue here. It has only happened to me once, but...

Car was locked up after placing trusty sticks in the boot. Friends admired the motor, and we walked away to the club-house for our meal. Club-house was around 300 yards from the car.

Around an hour later, a guy from the hotel desk came looking for the owner of a Lexus in the car park which had been reported as having been left with all its windows half-way down and the sun-roof open!! I don't think so...

Sure as eggs is eggs, that was the condition of the car when I returned to it.

There may be an issue here...

Mark.

This can happen if you hold down the door open button on the key fob. It might occur while the fob is in your pocket. It has happened to me and a few others on here.

I believe this feature can be disabled.

I have been more concerned with my ability to forget to lock the car. As the fob is left in my pocket, I forget to remove it to lock the car. :blush:

My other cars used keys, so they were in my hand when I got out and so remembered to lock before putting them in my pocket.

I am remembering more often now, and find using the door button most convenient :winky:

This can happen if you hold down the door open button on the key fob. It might occur while the fob is in your pocket. It has happened to me and a few others on here.

I believe this feature can be disabled.

I have been more concerned with my ability to forget to lock the car. As the fob is left in my pocket, I forget to remove it to lock the car. :blush:

My other cars used keys, so they were in my hand when I got out and so remembered to lock before putting them in my pocket.

I am remembering more often now, and find using the door button most convenient :winky:

This feature (whether open or close is pressed) is time dependent. The car will bleep and the window(s) will close or open, then the sunroof will follow suite. The duration of the key press will be the length of how much the window(s) and sunroof open.

If you press and hold your remote open button (assuring that ALL windows and sunroof are closed prior to doing this) then the vehicle will bleep and ALL the windows will lower then the sunroof will slide completely open also.

pressing and holding the close will do the oposite of above.

I had this feature on my LS430 and it is handy in summer (when we eventually get one this year) as you can open all windows and sunroof at your leisure prior to actually driving your car.

The feature is also handy if you forget to close the sunroof (like i always do on tilt) as you can do it from a distance using the remote. If you are inside the house you won't hear it bleep but can see the indicators flash and of course if your watching see the sunroof and or windows close.

I hope the above has been of some help to someone :question:

... and therein lies my concern. I understand how the system functions, and the windows were absolutely, definitely 100% closed as I walked away from the vehicle; I know this for a fact, because sadly (or otherwise) I always take a look back at the great looking car and walk away feeling a little proud with myself on having made the right choice...

For the function to work, you have to be relatively close to the vehicle (otherwise all around, those with pacemakers would start dancing!) and as I was more than 300 yards away in the clubhouse, I just can't see it. I sit in my house literally 20 feet from the car on my drive and it's never happened there.

I'm still not sure - :unsure:

Mark.

... and therein lies my concern. I understand how the system functions, and the windows were absolutely, definitely 100% closed as I walked away from the vehicle; I know this for a fact, because sadly (or otherwise) I always take a look back at the great looking car and walk away feeling a little proud with myself on having made the right choice...

For the function to work, you have to be relatively close to the vehicle (otherwise all around, those with pacemakers would start dancing!) and as I was more than 300 yards away in the clubhouse, I just can't see it. I sit in my house literally 20 feet from the car on my drive and it's never happened there.

I'm still not sure - :unsure:

Mark.

Seems weird Mark, for sure!

All i could suggest is try dissmantling the remote control, give it a good clean (making sure the 3 contact micro switches are intact and free from liquid ingress) with an old toothbrush and a decent cloth.

Or try removing the 3v Battery from the remote you are using then use the other remote supplied with the vehicle. 1 of your remotes may be faulty or be contaminated.

I of course have 2 remotes but have only ever used 1. The other is locked away in my safe. Due to the thickness of the metal that surrounds the safe even if the remote was to transmit (as the vehicle when parked at home is in proximity of this remote) it cannot.

Only a suggestion as i cannot think of anything else to be honest. I cannot see it being the programming side of things.

Well, it only ever happened the one time around 3 months ago. Not happened since.The annoying thing is the concern at the back of your mind that it could happen again, but when? Who knows. :unsure:

I'll just take care to ensure that the 'key' gets special treatment from now on... :winky:

Mark.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, it only ever happened the one time around 3 months ago. Not happened since.The annoying thing is the concern at the back of your mind that it could happen again, but when? Who knows. :unsure:

I'll just take care to ensure that the 'key' gets special treatment from now on... :winky:

Mark.

I had this happen to me a couple times not long after I got the car. Both times I had been sitting

at my PC in the upstairs spare room with the key fob in my jeans pocket.

So I moved the chair to the window so that I could see the car and started to move about on the

seat and hey presto the windows opened.

I went to the dealer and they were able to disable this function for me and it seems

to have cured the problem as it has not happened for over a year now.

Hope this is helpful.

Ian

• 7 months later...
I hope the above has been of some help to someone :question:

Too right it has - I came home just now to find the car with all windows at half mast and nearly had a heart attack!!! I couldn't find anything in the manual so I had a quick search through this forum and bingo. Many thanks indeed. I shall be treating my remote very carefully from now on....

It's a great party trick from the office window (30 yards from the car)! However, my controlller can lock/unlock the car from 200yards plus so I suspect it will do the windows at that range. I proved the range from the top of the hill by the Harbour Car Park in Ilfracombe. It confused the kids who were in the car at the time!

It's a great party trick from the office window (30 yards from the car)!

It was definitely more of a "brown pants" moment for me - I had visions of it doing the trick when I wasn't there!!

Yes - this is a feature and not a fault - and it can be deactivated by dealer. I discovered my windows open one wet day and thought someone tried to break into it and somehow triggered this reaction. It should be pointed out on handover, or given more prominence in the manual

• 2 months later...
Yes - this is a feature and not a fault - and it can be deactivated by dealer. I discovered my windows open one wet day and thought someone tried to break into it and somehow triggered this reaction. It should be pointed out on handover, or given more prominence in the manual

Well, I think you'll find that this is a feature when operating 'on demand', but it's a fault when not required! :tsktsk:

It's happened to me twice now; all windows and sunroof open and golf clubs everywhere, not a nice site to come back to, believe me.

I raised this with my excellent dealer, and the issue was received without any hint of surprise.

It is a known problem that the Lexus engineers are working on.

The dealer will disable the 'courtesy function' for you immediately upon request. Immediately. I suggest you take them up on the offer. Immediately. :winky:

Mark.