Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi, Brand new to lexus and this club. Reading some of the faults and poor sevice a lot of people have recieved, wonder if i'v made the right choice. A new IS 220d SE in slate Grey.

When looking through the rear view mirror the image is vibrating, is this the norm, or a sign of trouble on the way?? any helpful response welcome.

Hi Basha, welcome to the Club and the joys of Lexus ownership! There have been reports on the LOC site about poor service and performance of the diesel but I would say these are in the minority. Unfortunately I did not have a diesel so can't really comment too much.

I have read a few comments about mirror vibratation and I think this is caused by the diesel engine, I certainly never had any problems in my IS250 unless I turned the volume up high on the stereo :whistling:

Mirror vibration will happen when you have the music up enjoying some favourite songs :winky:

Every other car forum I have been on has also had loads of topics about issues the owners have. In most cases they are looking to see if others have the same concerns, but will also lead to a lot of useful info about your car.

Just enjoy your new ride and relax in the knowledge that it's hard to get so many parts all working together perfectly, all the time. Even though that's how we'd like it :lol:

Mirror vibration will happen when you have the music up enjoying some favourite songs :winky:

Every other car forum I have been on has also had loads of topics about issues the owners have. In most cases they are looking to see if others have the same concerns, but will also lead to a lot of useful info about your car.

Just enjoy your new ride and relax in the knowledge that it's hard to get so many parts all working together perfectly, all the time. Even though that's how we'd like it :lol:

This is definitely a trouble (and for sure - i have the same).

Lexus is aware about and working under new hardware (mirror mount) - it should be available soon.

This is an information from my Lexus dealer.

Hi Basha, welcome to the Club and the joys of Lexus ownership! There have been reports on the LOC site about poor service and performance of the diesel but I would say these are in the minority. Unfortunately I did not have a diesel so can't really comment too much.

I have read a few comments about mirror vibratation and I think this is caused by the diesel engine, I certainly never had any problems in my IS250 unless I turned the volume up high on the stereo :whistling:

Many thanks Saracen,

looks like this is going to be a great club. clocked up around 200 miles this weekend, and loved everyone, real nice motor, better than my previous merc sport coupe.

This is definitely a trouble (and for sure - i have the same).

Lexus is aware about and working under new hardware (mirror mount) - it should be available soon.

This is an information from my Lexus dealer.

Thanks Bluey,

Told my Lexus dealer (Newcastle) what you said, but they say this is the first they have heard, but they are looking into it for me.

Thanks again, Basha

Hi and Welcome Basha - this is normal. I reckon you should have trouble free motoring.

Thanks Jamboo,

Been quite a few years since i was at school, but yoour right, you do learn something everyday.

Thanks again Basha

Hi, Brand new to lexus and this club. Reading some of the faults and poor sevice a lot of people have recieved, wonder if i'v made the right choice. A new IS 220d SE in slate Grey.

When looking through the rear view mirror the image is vibrating, is this the norm, or a sign of trouble on the way?? any helpful response welcome.

try to change the position of the mirror. it has two joints, so it can be higher or lower and still adjusted. This helped me.

try to change the position of the mirror. it has two joints, so it can be higher or lower and still adjusted. This helped me.

Thanks Matus,

Didn't know about that so will give it a try

Mirroe sure vibrates a lot with the stereo on high :whistling: - but i can also report ( as a rare "moonroof" owner ) - why not sunroof like everyone else ? - that the vibration is also bad when driving with the roof open, at almost any speed.

Mirroe sure vibrates a lot with the stereo on high :whistling: - but i can also report ( as a rare "moonroof" owner ) - why not sunroof like everyone else ? - that the vibration is also bad when driving with the roof open, at almost any speed.

With the music up high it isn't the mirror vibrating but the rear window - caused by the sub in the rear parcelshelf.

This mirror vibration is a real pain. Yes, the volume up high vibrates the rear window, but even with the music off, the mirror vibrates all over the place.

My car has now done 1400 miles and I'm still waiting on Lexus to produce the fix for this mirror vibration - it shoud have been done by mid June, but there are some delays.

A company that prides itself on safety - airbags all over the place, doesn't let you use satnav or phone screen whilst moving....... But, you can't even see through the bloody mirror!!! What a joke. I should have handed the car back on day 1!!!!

This mirror is not fit for purpose and they had better fix it!

I came from BMW for this!!

And the BMW was perfect, right.......... :whistling:

No, but BMW know how to treat customers! Lexus customer service is c**p. Got my car back today, has the vibrating mirror been fixed? NO!! Lexus have now said that the fix will come sometime in August - a new bracket is being made. How long does it take to fix a bloody vibrating mirror? The thing is not fit for purpose and the car should not be on the road - health and safety.

Lexus know about this issue, which affects nearly all 220d cars (with the auto dimming mirror - SEL or Sport).

My car has done 1500 miles and I'm very close to handing back the keys. If this were on finance, that's exactly what I would do and let the finance company sort it out with Lexus.

Sorry, but as a new customer to Lexus, I am far from impressed!! The car is otherwise great.

And the BMW was perfect, right.......... :whistling:

No, but BMW know how to treat customers!

I am not saying Lexus are perfect although on the whole my experience with them has been pretty excellent. As a regular contributor to the forums it is quite clear that Lexus have a few issues with their first diesel and I am pretty confident that they will be resolved.

However for all their mistakes they make BMW look like a bunch of amateurs when it comes to treating customers. In the past they have refused to return phone calls, ignored me in the showroom (in more than one dealership). When asking the salesman to explain the capabilities of the X5 we were told, "What do you want to know?", the salesman just was not interested in selling the car. Another time I wanted to take a test drive in a 325 but they just didn't get back to me to arrange the drive. In the end an email to BMW customer service got them moving. But it was all too late and I was more than happy to give my hard earned cash to Lexus (again).

Welcome to the forum Basha.

Youre one of the growing number who contribute to this

forum from the Toon.

I know if you read through some threads it all looks like doom and gloom

but trust me its much easier to post grumbles than praise, not everone

rushes to post everytime they had a great drive with audio turned up or found

and address in the middle of a strange city first time.

Enjoy the car,

Infinity..........

forum from the Toon.

Enjoy the car,

Infinity..........

Hello Fellow toony,

Your right its easy to pick fault, but praise is not so forthcoming, and apart from a vibrating mirror, i really do enjoy driving the motor

As for poor service, i paid for a set of roof bars for mine only to find they took a set off the car in the showroom, but as a fellow Geordie, they wont get away with it. Back in tomorrow to make sure.

Keep in touch

Basha

forum from the Toon.

Enjoy the car,

Infinity..........

Hello Fellow toony,

Your right its easy to pick fault, but praise is not so forthcoming, and apart from a vibrating mirror, i really do enjoy driving the motor

As for poor service, i paid for a set of roof bars for mine only to find they took a set off the car in the showroom, but as a fellow Geordie, they wont get away with it. Back in tomorrow to make sure.

Keep in touch

Basha

Typically disgraceful...this is supposed to be the best brand by far for customer service ! They are just like the rest....get your money, then its up to you to fight them all the way for decent service.

:tomato: Hi,

It is easier for people to express / discuss negative issues, (I think it's a British trait) but I for one like to see the better side of and issue but will not let it rest until it's to my satisfaction, customer service from Lexus seems fine to me at present but I have had no interaction as yet, first service is due in Sept so will see what happens :hehe:

your in the wrong section marksman...this is only for us poor people who can only afford the IS 200 -300 range :D

:winky: Sorry, I have wide and varied interests not just restricted to my own model. I like to participate wherever I can.

This thread makes me laugh. My response on it will get under the skin of a few, but hey, better off my chest than on it!

When you buy a pretige marque you do expect prestige service. No German cars I had went in for more warranty work - but that's 3 cars, over 10 years, and 4 warranty visits in total...true the dealers were naff, but I never really had to go to them...! May be I was lucky with them, and unlucky with the Lexus...

Now when a Brand prides itself on the best Customer Service, the most reliable car, the biggest car manufacturer in the world etc, you expect it to be almost perfect.

Well let me tell you a little secret:

My Toyota Corolla was undoubtedly better made, it never rattled, indeed never went in for any warranty work in 6.5 years of motoring. That was a humble a toyota, made by the same company, and I bought it new in 1990. That's almost 17 years ago. It was amazingly economical, very dependable, and I expected more from Lexus of the same that delivered to me in the form of a humble 1.3 litre family car...

And that very same car is still going - it's 2.5 miles down the road and a family use it every day.

So what's happened to Toyota in 17 years? Well they went into the Luxury car market, set themselves up as something "different" and were very succesfull. But the chickens are coming home to roost vary fast...

Now they're trying to ramp up european sales, copy BMW and the germans (which they are more and more aspiring to whether you like it or not) on that same crest of a Toyota wave, yet fail on the simplest of things. Such as lack of Auto door locking, vibrating mirrors, rattling dash's, corroding alloys, small cramped cabins, no boot space, NO AUTO diesels, strange gearing, no auto folding mirrors - the list might sound "pedantic", but if it's supposed to be perfect than that's what we should expect.

They built themselves up, "in pursuit of perfection" (which is now "Discovery of perfection" - ehh? When did that happen, 'cos it ain't happened yet to the IS!) and will have to fall by it if they don't deliver.

True the journo's are hard on the car, but only because of the design which allows them to criticise them, and yes I still would recommend the post '07 car to anyone looking for an Exec saloon, but I wouldn't shy aweay from telling them to be vigillant and not to trust what the sales patter states about Toyota/Lexus dependability.

The bottom line is that this forum is NOT a fan club - it's an owners club and the rough has to go with the smooth, no matter how trivial. The rear mirror problem is not that a big deal for me - the lack of Auto locking is far more important to me - due to 2 attempted 'jacking attempts in London - I felt saved on both counts because I had Auto locking on my A4. WHen you have kids in the back of a car and a vagrat is pulling on the door where your child is strapped into a child seat, you would be incredible thankful if the car was locked...Lexus seem to make these things available in some markets, but when you question them the answer is shoddy germanic!!

Hopefully Lexus will take heed of this forum. It should be seen by them as an aide to improving the cars and seeing what their customers think and want. They (nor member of this forum) should feel threatened or get defensive...

Jamboo - I've read some of your previous postings and yes, you certainly have good cause to complain.

I too had a couple of Toyota's - a Corolla 1.3 which was a superb car, I then jumped into a Carina E, again a very capable car but drunk people kept trying to flag me down :crybaby:

I haven't visited the Beemer, Merc or Audi forums, but I'm sure there are a number of peeved owners on there too.

Lexus seemed to have made a pretty good fist of it IMO but to a lot of posters on this forum, the 2nd Gen IS diesel has been a hurdle they have struggled to get over.

The list of "wants" you would have liked don't rate particularly highly in my wish list and, please don't take this the wrong way, you knew how big the boot was, lack of auto folding mirrors & no auto before you bought the car.

My dad always said he would never buy a newly introduced model as they were always introduced only 95% complete and had to have the bugs ironed out of them during the first year to eighteen months of production (and his first car was a bull nose Morris) - just like software as well BTW. Mind you, I don't think he ever bought a brand new car in his life - his best mate was a Merc dealer so he always got first refusal on a demonstrator.

No argument from me Jamboo on the hard time you've had and, I for one probably wouldn't return to the marque of I'd had the grief you've had, but I haven't had cause for complaint yet - my rear view mirror shakes like a sh :tsktsk: ing dog when I'm in the wrong gear, but I've got over it and moved on...

Jamboo, I knew what I was buying when I handed over more than £32K of my hard earned to my Lexus dealer way back in December 2005 based purely on my experience with the IS200 Sportnav that I still have, and the main dealers that maintained it. I had researched all the information that became available for the 250 from placing the original pre-order deposit in March of the same year, so I knew the size of the boot (wasn't bothered), the fairly restricted rear leg room (it's very rare I have back seat passengers), and the rather limited choice I had on the options compared to the USA spec. I considered the diesel for about 10 nanoseconds and dismissed it for all sorts of reasons but primarily because it was obviously being targeted at the European fleet market.

Since getting the car in December 2005 I've had one complaint concerning excess wind noise around the door seals, which the dealership sorted as soon as I told them of it.

The car has otherwise been faultless from new, possibly in spite of the mods I've made to it, and still puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. The number of complaints on this UK forum is totally out of proportion to the complaints on the US forum when you consider the vast difference in the numbers sold. The US also has the 350 and the 250 AWD (all wheel drive), but doesn't of course have the diesel. Make your own conclusions. :whistling: