Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have been with Lexus since 1999 & have always receieved excellent Aftersales Service that has resolved any issue I have had with the 5 cars over the last 8 years.

All my Friends have ALWAYS described my Cars as Stunning & ,to date,I have converted 4 from Mercs to Lexus over the years.

Rear Seat Space & Boot Capacity is not an issue with me & the additional kit on the Lexus is worth c. 6k on the Germans @ purchase & resale value holds better too.

Lexus Customer Retention is 88% so dissatisfaction is v.low viz.a.viz the grumbles on this Forum.

Tel

Lexus has topped the reliability table for the last 4/5 years ,its obvious from the posts on this forum that their is a problem with some of the 220d`s

i got lucky and found the site before my cheque book, as has been said before their was always going to be problems even Lexus cannot achieve

perfection first time,having said that one of my work colleagues owns a new 220d and is delighted with it and he has driven everything ,its unfortunate

for the bad experiences of some but they can always trade it in for the 250 at least on the economy issue.

The mirror should not have taken 18 months+ for Lexus to to be creating a fix. Proably 90% of the owners have told their dealers or complained, and what is clearly a 50p worth part can surely not take 18 months to redevelop...regardless of logistics and contracts with suppliers. Whilst I am used to it, it is dsconcerting at times, and does improve with miles. However, it isn't fully fit for purpose...

:offtopic: @ Tango/Tel, the bottom line is that I still enjoy driving the car - it's rarity, VFM, refinement etc still account for a great deal of pleasure. Else I would have jumped ship, and taken a financial hit. I'm not quite there yet, but am also now trying to stop spending money on toys like cars and bikes and concentrating on saving from my retirement... :crying:

I took a major leap of faith by abandoning the german brigade, but at the same time had faith in Toyota and Lexus 'cos I have been a customer before (and a very satisfied one at that).

It's posts like yours and the JD power stuff here and in the 'states which made me go down the Lexus route this time. I had a great car in my Audi - it was faultless from new and whilst the customer service was a bit naff (only 'cos no one would even acknowledge you at reception until you went "Ahemmm...I'd like to book my car in..." - at which point a young lady would look at you like this : :blink: ) I would have not even looked at a Lexus and stuck with the Audi had it not been for a new model to be launched within 3 years.

I know that VAG cars too have problems, as do every other make, so may be I was lucky with the German cars I have had, but I did expect problems with them and got hardly any - with the Lexus it is totally the opposite, even though most of the problems (apart from Dash) are minor, I expected first time resolution of issues on a new car (teethers).

I forgave the small boot and slightly cramped rear in the hope that the car would be close to perfect, but I have seen everything from poor customer service (which is now improved - but only ecause I made a nuisance of myself and demanded better service) to a pretty badly put together car - the dash still has that b :tsktsk: d foam at the base of the screen which is now not working and I am really worried about what'll happen after the warranty is over. Whilst I am more than confident of taking the car apart myself, I'm now getting to an age where I am loathed to do it after warranty...

I don't know what percentage of cars suffer from these problems - possibly 1:10? Though ALPAPPY had 4 and 3 had problems like mine. The diesels do seem to be worst affected. I don't for one minute accept that the diesel vibration which you see on the mirror can make the rest of the car rattle - remember a moving car will be subjected to far more rigorous forces, jolting and vibration than any modern car diesel engine can muster.

The bottom line is that mine will be going in soon, but only when the rattles become full time rather tha part time with a view that it is fixed, even if it means going to Lexus Technical services.

I do feel for a Jamboo and some of the other unfortunate IS owners who are having issues. As this is an owners forum and they are owners they are entitled to vent their spleens when things go wrong. I think the issue is exacerbated when Lexus, who scream from the rooftops about their customer service have dealers who fall short of their gold standard.

However as others have said some of what Jamboo is unhappy about (door locks, boot space) was known to him before buying the car and yet he still bought it.

I was dead set on buying a diesel till it was announced that it was only available as a manual and from the reports on here I am so glad I didn't buy one. The IS250 was nothing but a dream, no problems, rattles or such like and as you will know I only chopped it in to buy an SC430, otherwise I would still be driving mine. The dealer while not perfect were very good, I'd give them 9 out of 10, while my local BMW/Audi/Merc guys would fail to register above 5 out of 10.

However as others have said some of what Jamboo is unhappy about (door locks, boot space) was known to him before buying the car and yet he still bought it.

Cheers Saracen - hope you're enjoying the mota...

as far as the locks were concerned, I was actually told that the new IS had auto locking...and that my car would be fixed on the production line. There were reports coming in already about rattles in door panels, dash and pillars, not to mention squeaking seats etc with 4 weeks of launch, and I had asked for the fixes to be applied to my car whilst on the production line. You may remember I was assured by the dealer that it would be sorted...only then did I part with my deposit...so I gave Lexus and the dealer a fair chance...the car had over 15 miles on the clock on collection and the dealer had tested it...10 days later it was rattling like a unowot...and I was told there was no way they could have applied the fix on the production line...I was fuming...

18 months down the road, a few fix attempts, and the car still intermittently rattles quite alarmingly. The mirror is only a very minor thing and I'm not even too bothered, and the fuel economy is something I have learnt to improve by driving the car with the histogram on...quite boringly...

The boot and cabin space were not a major issue, else I would not have had one at all, but if you sit on the fence and consider all things, the car is great VFM but does have some weakness's like all other cars...it's just that people on the forum prefer to just praise everything Lexus. I've never been terribly loyal to any brand, 'cos normally I would think via head rather than heart...

Some of you might think ".....oh :tsktsk: here he goes again, hijacked another thread, whinge whinge whinge...." but I really didn't expect this to be going on almost 18 months into ownership...

Tainted...I think so...you have no idea how much flack I'm subjected to when people here the rattling Lexus...and I am getting fed up of it...

PS - latest update - car is booked in for later this week...'m also gonna get them to look at the corroding wheels and the mirror - might as well see what's what, and also find out about the new and latest ECU and pipe work mod

...it's just that people on the forum prefer to just praise everything Lexus.

I don't think people praise everything Lexus regardless, I just think they have had fewer problems overall... When I had a problem with a squeeky seat I mentioned it immediately and it was fixed, with no further recurrences.

Jamboo,

I really do hope Martin's Team DO sort out your car this time as you certainly deserve to have the car right as it was when you first drove it!

Of interest, ALPAPPY is off to OZ & is probably buying a LEXUS IS 250 AUTO as he,as he says on the Oz Forum, wants utter reliability given the huge mileages he will face.

Lexus,as with all major Marques,have a multi -point Noise Instrument that can accurately detect the source of "a foreign noise" & the KEY to success is the

DASH-IN after repair & not the stip-down & repair itself.

Over the last 20 years I have had 3 Dashes Out(Ronda) & ,2 Headlinings Out on my Lexus due to rattling sun/roof mechs & all 5 cars problem's were fully sorted because they knew I will not accept failure &,more importantly,they also knew I could do the job myself & what the pitfalls were .

You tell them you have a rattle that you want sorted & calmy tell them that you do appreciate the task that faces them & ask what steps they will take to prevent introduction of further problems etc.

Good Luck!

Tel :driving:

Jamboo,

I really do hope Martin's Team DO sort out your car this time as you certainly deserve to have the car right as it was when you first drove it!

Of interest, ALPAPPY is off to OZ & is probably buying a LEXUS IS 250 AUTO as he,as he says on the Oz Forum, wants utter reliability given the huge mileages he will face.

Lexus,as with all major Marques,have a multi -point Noise Instrument that can accurately detect the source of "a foreign noise" & the KEY to success is the

DASH-IN after repair & not the stip-down & repair itself.

Over the last 20 years I have had 3 Dashes Out(Ronda) & ,2 Headlinings Out on my Lexus due to rattling sun/roof mechs & all 5 cars problem's were fully sorted because they knew I will not accept failure &,more importantly,they also knew I could do the job myself & what the pitfalls were .

You tell them you have a rattle that you want sorted & calmy tell them that you do appreciate the task that faces them & ask what steps they will take to prevent introduction of further problems etc.

Good Luck!

Tel :driving:

Cheers Tel,

they are a very receptive bunch of guys and one Technician in particular is excellent. I have asked for him again to test drive the car with me on Thursday and I dare say he will source the root cause. I believe that the foam needs to come out.

I do think that he will do the best possible job.

Back on topic, I am also going to get the technician to advise me on the mirror issue. It's been going on for so long and whilst I live with it (may be I'm used to it) it is an annoyance that simply should be fixed. Makes you wonder who tested the cars prior to launch and at what speeds...

The vibration from the diesel engine is I'm sure what causes it - the engine mounts do an excellent job - they dissipate the vibration into the cars structure, and the end result = vibrating mirror..

Well Im with Jamboo 100% of the way, as his story is almost identical to mine, even down to having been told by the dealer that my concerns of rattles etc were unfounded and the car would be rattle free. I wsas even told that the IS250 SEL had split rear seats - which they Do NOT !! :angry:

It appears that (fairly obviously ) ones experience and satisfaction is greatly affected by the dealer concerned. Unfortunately, my experience has been poor, and my dealer is 100miles round trip. My avitar and signature says it all....