Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Seperating Rear Light Clusters For Painting?

sorted vti

hey

well as the title says. trying to paint the inside of the rear lights and omg.. i thought the fronts and fogs were hard, but these are near impossible.

i think they use a different glue to the front lights dont they?

anyway, has anyone succesfully done this?

also any pictures of peoples efforts.

cheers guys

yep

think i am about the only one :whistling:

they are a pig to seperate, mainly because they are not glued, they are plastic welded together, the only way of seperating them is to cut them open

using a dremel and being very very carefull, then seal them back up afterwards :)

gallery_4887_22_1102194550.jpg

i bought a spare set over 2 years ago and have seperated them, i removed the red reflector part and smoked it slightly and then started spraying the surrounds astral black.........however the masking tape i have used has removed some of the original chrome on the reflectors so i don't think im going to use them now............. :crybaby: will probably just buy the LED version!

Jason :P

right. so after thinking a bit. i decided that id have to bite the bullet and go buy a dremel. £50 later, a new dremel.

ive so far cut both lenses off. and surprisingly its quite easy. took me a couple of minutes to get the lense off.

primered and painted one inner chrome piece and primered the second one. just waiting for that to dry and i can get the coats of black on.

im undecided wether to use clear or black silicone to seal them back up. its probably a better idea to go for clear i reckon. what did u use to seal urs up bazza?

also im thnking i might cut a little black disc of vinyl to go in the centre of the red reflector, just to make it that little bit different. slightly skyline style.

i was very nervous about doing this, and i will warn people, it is very easy to make a mistake. so preceed with caution if u are going to attempt this.

so far it has cost me £13 in paint and £50 for the dremel. so its not that cheap for a diy job to be honest, but i really dont like the other lights that are on offer at the moment. the LED ones arent too bad but after hearing how the led's blow im too put off by that so wouldnt buy a set.

anyways. il get some pics up when its done to get ur opinions.

Sounds like you're doing a top job mate, like the idea of the black disk in the middle, the Skylines do look mighty fine in the dark :)

rights lads. there pretty much all done. started at 12ish i think and ive just got to seal them up. off down wickes to get some clear silicone.

heres a few pics for ya!!

a before shot

rear.jpg

mid project

paintin.jpg

this one is without the lense

yummm.jpg

and this one

isrearwitlights.jpg

heres some of the finished article with the lenses

isrear.jpg

lenseson.jpg

im actually really liking the lights without the lenses on and was considering making a clear acrylic strip to go over the indicator and reverse lights, to protect the bulb. but thinking water might still get in and id have a puddle in the boot.

well thats all the lights on the car done now, after doing all of the lights and at the end of it, i reckon the rears have been the easiest, but u do need tools. with a dremel this job has been quite enjoyable, and alot better than having to put the lights in the oven and scrape crappy glue out.

also i was considering putting the red fogs back in to match in with the red in the lights?

anyways, what ur opinions guys?

Good work there mate, will be good to see the finished article!

Looks very dark now all the chrome has been killed off!

Have to admit I do prefer them with the full plastic cover on though, saw a set without before and it just didn't quite look right from the sides!

im glad u said that aido. thats the whole point of the exercise :D want the car to look as dark as i can get it.

proper gangsta, stealth look about it!!

that pretty much is the finished article. :D id like to have not had it so white for the edges of the acrylic but thats what ive got to expect really where its a cut edge.

just waiting for the silicone to go off now. also sprayed the lexus badge on the back but it got a couple of bubbles in it, so need to rub it down again, and start over.

i think the next project is to tint the rear window and get the 6x9's in while the seats are out, and finish off the install in the boot!!!

also i was considering putting the red fogs back in to match in with the red in the lights?

I was thinking exactly the same as I was looking down the pics. Quality job on the clusters punk.gif

cheers guys, it's really good to hear after uve spent so much time on a project, to hear people like them.

heres a pic of what they look like at night. also a pic of the new screen i have mounted to the ceiling,

nightview.jpg

yeah if i find the red fogs im going to put them back in.

If you wanted to follow a theme what about trying a small black insert on the middle of the fogs too which would give you the ultimate Skyline effect if you also got the 4 light brake conversion done?

I definitely prefer the backend of the IS & GS with that conversion done, makes the car look much better imho, Chris Shipley's mate did it on my IS, and as luck would have it, the Aristo has it too :D

yeah i really want to do the brake light conversion, but i need a dummy's guide of how to do it!! lol

yeah i was going to cut some smaller discs to put on the fogs. but good thinking mate. were on the same wavelength! :)

Looks like a good job but i think you will fail an MOT now as you've painted out the reflector in the centre of the lamp

You will need to add 2 rear reflectors somewhere to the back of your car

• 3 months later...
yep

think i am about the only one :whistling:

they are a pig to seperate, mainly because they are not glued, they are plastic welded together, the only way of seperating them is to cut them open

using a dremel and being very very carefull, then seal them back up afterwards :)

gallery_4887_22_1102194550.jpg

can i ask,where did u pick up roof spoiler from,like it oh nice lights....