Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The AC temperature and outside temperature display had lost illumination so I thought I would do a step by step procedure as I've seen a couple of posts on here asking about it. This would also help if you needed to remove the factory stereo unit too.

Tools required are

• Large flat bladed screwdriver
  • small flat bladed screw driver
  • Philips screwdriver
  • 8mm socket
  • 10mm socket

First off is removing the transmission selector knob. Just under the main selector head is a plastic cover, push it down into the centre console to expose two philips screws. Remove the screws and slide off the selector knob.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Using the large flat bladed screw driver (put some tape over the blade to give a wee bit more protection to the car trim) lever up the back end of the centre console trim panel

3.jpg

Pull the rear end of the panel up and then slide it towards the rear of the car. Lift it up and off the gear selector. Unplug the two connectors to the "sport mode" switch and selector light panel.

4.jpg

Slide your hand under the ash tray and pull the ash tray unit out, unplug the connector to the cigarette lighter.

5.jpg

Using the large flat bladed screwdriver again, lever the air vent panel out slightly. Tilt the vents down as far as they go and then grip the panel and pull it out. Disconnect the plugs to the clock and hazard light switch.

6.jpg

Once the air vent panel is out, you will be able to see the top two bolts holding the aircon control panel and stereo in. The other three bolts are visible where the ash tray came out.

7.jpg

Use the 10mm socket to remove these 5 bolts. The unit can now be pulled forward. There are three connectors to disconnect for the AC Control panel. At this point you could unplug the stereo too, although I didn't as this could trigger the anti theft set up and if you don't know the code you could render the stereo inoperable.

8.jpg

On each side of the unit there is a mounting bracket. Use the 8mm socket to undo the four on the side of the stereo, use the philips screwdriver to undo the two on the AC Control unit. Undo the same ones on the other side.

9.jpg

The AC Control unit can now be removed from the car. To open up the panel, undo the two philips screwa on the back of the unit.

10.jpg

Then unlip the top and bottom clips and take the back part of the unit off. There are three connectors to disconnect to completely remove the rear panel.

11.jpg

Now the bulb holders can be seen, they can be removed using a small flat bladed screwdriver and have a "bayonet" style fitting. There are 8 in all. Part number as follows:

A: Bulb Grey holder x 4 - 84999-60230

B: Bulb grey holder x 1 - 8999-60200

C: Bulb black holder x 1 - 8999-60210

D: Bulb brown holder x 2 - 8999-60220

12.jpg

That's it. Re-assembly is just the reversal of the removal.

Hope that helps someone :)

Cheers

Rick

• 3 months later...

Thanks a lot for a brillant step-by-step. I note you list the bulb holder part numbers but not the bulb parts numbers. Are the bulbs available for the holders or do you have to buy the holder to get the bulb? If you can get the bulbs as a standalone would you happen to have those part numbers?

Thanks again for the well documented procedure :D

Thanks a lot for a brillant step-by-step. I note you list the bulb holder part numbers but not the bulb parts numbers. Are the bulbs available for the holders or do you have to buy the holder to get the bulb? If you can get the bulbs as a standalone would you happen to have those part numbers?

Hi, the bulbs are soldered into the holders and have green rubber "dobbers" over the top to give the green light. The bulbs may well be available seperately else where but not from Lexus/Toyota. Having done soldered bulb swaps on my BMW, they do not solder well and success is a bit hit and miss. I just took the easy route :lol:

Incidentally, I did see the "dobbers" for sale seperately elsewhere, cant find the link at the moment, so if you fancied blue instead of green, that would be an easy job. Not sure how easy it would be to change the colours in the stereo, but if I ever find a fascia panel to replace the stereo with my own, I will be dabbling into that and taking the factory unit appart to have a look.

Hi, the bulbs are soldered into the holders and have green rubber "dobbers" over the top to give the green light. The bulbs may well be available seperately else where but not from Lexus/Toyota. Having done soldered bulb swaps on my BMW, they do not solder well and success is a bit hit and miss. I just took the easy route :lol:

Incidentally, I did see the "dobbers" for sale seperately elsewhere, cant find the link at the moment, so if you fancied blue instead of green, that would be an easy job. Not sure how easy it would be to change the colours in the stereo, but if I ever find a fascia panel to replace the stereo with my own, I will be dabbling into that and taking the factory unit appart to have a look.

Thanks for the info. I've just bitten the bullet and ordered a full set from Lexus (not worth changing just the one as another is sure to go a week after doing it) £3.81 ea so the total is £35.81 inc. VAT, :tsktsk: hope they bleedin' last !

Thanks again.

HOW MUCH !!!!!!!!!!

its times like this, spending hours walking round the breakers nicking , i mean borrowing fuses and little bulb comes in handy, but i didnt think they would be that expensive

HOW MUCH !!!!!!!!!!

its times like this, spending hours walking round the breakers nicking , i mean borrowing fuses and little bulb comes in handy, but i didnt think they would be that expensive

I agree, and if you didn't have to strip half the dash out to get at 'em I might give it a go. I guess price of parts is a down side of owning a Lexus although I have to say on occassion I'm shocked with how cheap certain parts are from the main dealer. There doesn't seem to be any hard and fast rule with their pricing.

Still, pick the bulbs up middle of next week and then next Saturday I'll give it a go, fingers crossed for a smooth operation :duh:

a couple of bulbs went in the supra when i had it , and they had the green "condom" on them, got prices for them ,though sod this , and carefully removed the green cover, and stuck it on a normal bulb :)

but then again i am a tight northerner

Well ive just done , or in the process of doing mine however, slight probs :)

changed 3 bulbs that had gon but cant do the one for the lcd, even tho the buld had gone i cant get another one to work, even ones that are proven to be ok dont work, so, i might had to link one from another bit, not really the ending i was after , but ....

ill keep you posted

Well ive just done , or in the process of doing mine however, slight probs :)

changed 3 bulbs that had gon but cant do the one for the lcd, even tho the buld had gone i cant get another one to work, even ones that are proven to be ok dont work, so, i might had to link one from another bit, not really the ending i was after , but ....

ill keep you posted

Good luck :)

Did you buy the bulbs from Lexus/Toyota or did you get them from elsewhere?

my years of scrounging in scrappers :)

here seeing as your on can you do me a favor, ...

without the ignition on, turn the lights on and tell me if the lcd lights up, (with mine never working i dont know if its right)

Ta

here seeing as your on can you do me a favor, ...

without the ignition on, turn the lights on and tell me if the lcd lights up, (with mine never working i dont know if its right)

Ta

The three control knobs light up with the lights but the LCD only lights up with the ignition on.

cheers fella, works now :)

next one is the heater seat one , one seat light didnt work and the light thats connected to the lights dont either, them i will have to buy, and i needs a new green condom aswell

hey seeing as your in a helping mood :)

no rush but can you take some pics of inside the car when its dark for us, so i can see what switches do atually light up

like the mirror switches, well all ov em :) soz to be a pain but i hate lights not working

no rush but can you take some pics of inside the car when its dark for us, so i can see what switches do atually light up

like the mirror switches, well all ov em :) soz to be a pain but i hate lights not working

I'll try and do some later mate, that's assuming all of mine are working :unsure:

Nice one

:)

looks like ive got bulbs out on the head light adjuster cluster thingy and the seats, not sure about the hazzard , cant remember that one

oh

wheres your volume knob , dont that light up?

ill have a look at mone tomorow night and compare. still nice one tho

i think looking at the AC light in the picture i needs to re do mine as its a little brighter (lighter green) to yours, i didnt have a proper bulb so i had to use a longer one , so the green condom :) dont cover all ove it, but its only a 5 minute job now so wont be that hard

thanks again

Steve

OH

SMOOTH !!!!!!!

easy listening ?????

yeah but can you put the nob back on tho

? :)

nearly as bad as my day, source them little bulbs, 3mm +5mm wire legged bulbs from RS , 38p and 15p each cant get any cos ive not got a rs account , bloody typical

yeah the smallest are the more expensive

i can find the 5mm green covers but not the 3mm ill keep looking

You don't need an RS account to be able to order from them..

They have a sister company that does small orders and you can pay using Credit or debit cards.

unfortunately, the name of it escapes me, but fairly sure RS will tell you... they did with me, and that's how I managed to order stuff.

John

hmm, well thats odd then, as i went to the call and collect counter in Leeds with my order no's and my brass, walked in asked guy for stuff, he dissapeared for a bit came back with them, started messing with computer , and said, account number??

erm not got one, so he said we dont do business with public were trade only,. :(

so i came home and called my mate up whi HAS an account with them

should have noticed something was wrong as i was walking out a woman walked past with a pair of white jeans on as i turned round to look at her backside there was a notice on the door saying we dont do public. trade only ( i never saw it on my way in)

hehe

Steve

i just needs some 3mm green condoms now