Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brake Caliper

Aky

Hi,

My front driver side brake caliper is sticking well what i get is the brake making squeaking noise like when the brakes make when worn, and thats when after i have appiled thte brake and driving off, and can carry on for a while regarless the speed till i guess the caliper pulls back. Have got new pads and discs last month and was told by the fitter that the sliders on the brake dont work properly and will need new ones. Yesterday was getting the above problem. I have been advised to get a new brake carrier/Housing with the sliders to cure the problem. Any idea where i can obtain this cheap new or second hand. Please advise asap.

Kind regards

Aky

i have heard that to get parts for lexus cars, in your case caliper slider pins, that a lexus dealer might be a good place to start, but its just a rumour.....

I doubt if it is the slider mechanism - It's pretty simple and unlikely to go wrong.

More likely to be the pistons sticking in the caliper cylinders.

The calipers slide off the pads (after removing the lower bolt and loosening the upper bolt a smidge).

With the cap loosened on the master cylinder reservoir, the pistons may be pushed back into into the cylinders.

The brake fluid level goes up slightly though it should be OK as it's a closed system.

I've used a G-Clamp and a small block of wood as a packer to do this.

I've had both lower pistons (at different times and possibly more prone to water?) become very tight causing dragging of the pads on the disk.

A couple of tiny sprays of lubricant under the piston rubber boot and a some repetative movement of the piston in and out of the cylinder solved it. Been fine for over six months now. Fuel consumption also improved. Went up from low 20s to about 33!!

My wheels run cold now - whereas before I could have fried a few rashers of bacon on them!

I doubt if it is the slider mechanism - It's pretty simple and unlikely to go wrong.
Not that unlikely. They can stick on any Toyota / Lexus with sliding calipers -- Soarer, GS, Supra ......

A couple of tiny sprays of lubricant under the piston rubber boot

i hope that you used silicone grease based spray? if you used wd40 type spray expect to replace the seals sometime because wd40 attacks/softens most rubbers.

My engineer tells me that its the slider mechanism and the sliders dnt got back in place. Been told need new carrier/housing. Just want to knw where the best place to buy or get one?

Aky

sorry mate but there is no way you need a complete new caliper or carrier just because the sliders are sticking - you are being ripped off to be honest.

First i would check how easy the caliper is to move, clean and grease the sliders if they are dry or dirty and check if they are worn. If they are worn then change the sliders

• 1 year later...

im having the same problem, drivers side. Ive been given the run around by a number of mechs. I've had the caliper taken apart lubed up twice and it keeps sticking, brakes changed etc etc. I've seen that a new caliper is about £124, but i've already spent a fortune on the car already. does anybody know of a good (cheap) supplier?

im having the same problem, drivers side. Ive been given the run around by a number of mechs. I've had the caliper taken apart lubed up twice and it keeps sticking, brakes changed etc etc. I've seen that a new caliper is about £124, but i've already spent a fortune on the car already. does anybody know of a good (cheap) supplier?

I have had my front nearside caliper sticking since I got my car 6 months ago, in that time it has had new discs/pads and the caliper released twice. Last week car failed MOT due to the brakes and I finally had to get a new caliper which i got off eBay for £100. Also had to get the rear offside released as it was sticking so suspect it might need replaced some time soon.

Like the fusion pete I could also cook on the wheels but running cold all round now and as expected car runs a lot better!. Love the car but what is it with the brakes........

I have had my front nearside caliper sticking since I got my car 6 months ago, in that time it has had new discs/pads and the caliper released twice. Last week car failed MOT due to the brakes and I finally had to get a new caliper which i got off eBay for £100. Also had to get the rear offside released as it was sticking so suspect it might need replaced some time soon.

Like the fusion pete I could also cook on the wheels but running cold all round now and as expected car runs a lot better!. Love the car but what is it with the brakes........

Snap! Had the car jacked up at the garage yesterday and went round them all, funny enough at the time the front caliper was fine but the back left was a little sticky which i never noticed before! Of course as soon as i drove out of the garage the front one went back to its old tricks. I'm gona get the guys that fitted the pads and discs to take the caliper apart to see if its a component failure as apose to the whole caliper. The saga continues...

There are 2 common problems with the IS brakes.

One is a sticking piston (seems to be lower one!) which if you are lucky, you can free with a clamp and keep pressing in and pushing out. Clean up the whole caliper etc too while you are there.

The other is sticking/corroding pins. This is very common and easy to fix. Buy new front pins and rubber dust boots etc and replace - simple to do and not too expensive.

If its pins, you dont generally have to replace the carrier - sometimes if its really corroded then a mechie might say you do (I had that) but I didn't think it was that bad. I had to knock out one of the pins as it was so stuck. But with a quick clean up and plenty of lube (ooh err) it slipped back in nicely.

Personally I would try this first before new calipers (which incidently DON'T come with new carriers - so you would need new ones of these anyway) as calipers etc are expensive!

• 5 weeks later...

Do you know if a brake problems is ever likely to give wobble through the steering wheel?

I have much more brake dust on the passenger side front and it can feel like the wheel wants to come off when dring at 50!

It comes and goes though which I'm told rules out a wheel bearing issue.

It's especially likely to be bad in the wet

Any help appreciated

Do you know if a brake problems is ever likely to give wobble through the steering wheel?

I have much more brake dust on the passenger side front and it can feel like the wheel wants to come off when dring at 50!

Any help appreciated

Yup, the symptoms you describe are indicitive of seizing caliper and/or sticking slide pins. I have done a few tutorials on doing various jobs in relation to this. I have a GS, but the IS front brakes are the same.

Slide Pin Overhaul

Pad and Disc change

Caliper Removal/Change

These guides are amazing!

Thanks for this.

Any help appreciated

Yup, the symptoms you describe are indicitive of seizing caliper and/or sticking slide pins. I have done a few tutorials on doing various jobs in relation to this. I have a GS, but the IS front brakes are the same.

Slide Pin Overhaul

Pad and Disc change

Caliper Removal/Change

the slide pin guide is spot on!!

Many owners are blaming stuck pistons when it's the slide pins at fault.

I have had the little rubber seal on the pin swell up so tight, the pins had to be hammered out.

This fault prevented the slideing action and was holding the pad against the disc, giving the impression that the piston was stuck.

These guides are amazing!

Thanks for this.

the slide pin guide is spot on!!

Many owners are blaming stuck pistons when it's the slide pins at fault.

I have had the little rubber seal on the pin swell up so tight, the pins had to be hammered out.

This fault prevented the slideing action and was holding the pad against the disc, giving the impression that the piston was stuck.

Glad you both found the guides helpful. Cheers :)