Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi

I posted this on the new members board, but thought I might try here as well as this seems to be the expert domain.

My name is Simon and I'm based in Edinburgh. I've just bought my first Lexus, a 1999 LS400 in metallic grey.

First impressions of this car are very good, apart from a very minor dent which is being fixed tomorrow. The engine is incredibly smooth and quiet, and the ride is so comfortable. Doesn't particularly like corners though, but then that's not what I bought the car for. I read all the background information on here before making my purchase, and I have to say you're a very knowledgeable lot.

The only problem I have found so far (apart from the dent) is that the cruise control doesn't seem to work. The light on the dashboard comes on, but the control itself doesn't activate. Has anyone else experienced this before? I haven't noticed this being mentioned as a known problem anywhere else. I have tried it at various speeds up to a motorway cruise without success.

Anyway, thanks for listening, and any advice would be gratefully received.

Simon

Welcome,

Glad to hear you like the car, for all the roght reasons! If you treat her roght she will run forever! (well maybe not quite)

Sorry, don't know how to fix your issue though, someone else had this issue a while back, someone will be along to help soon.

It's been along time since I tried the cruise control on my car but

you press a button to turn the light on, then you need to pull the lever towards you to activate it, and then up and down sets the speed. at least thats how I remember it working on my IS and GS...

It's been along time since I tried the cruise control on my car but

you press a button to turn the light on, then you need to pull the lever towards you to activate it, and then up and down sets the speed. at least thats how I remember it working on my IS and GS...

pulling it towards you cancels the cruise settings, it's just push button so light comes on, then push down when you reach desired speed. pushing up gives you 1mph increase in cruise speed with each push. push down gives you 1mph decrease in speed.

pulling it towards you cancels the cruise settings, it's just push button so light comes on, then push down when you reach desired speed. pushing up gives you 1mph increase in cruise speed with each push. push down gives you 1mph decrease in speed.

Ah, that might be where I'm going wrong. I was just pushing the button when I got the right speed. I'll try pushing down on it too and hopefully that will sort it. Thanks very much for that maneesh.

Ah, that might be where I'm going wrong. I was just pushing the button when I got the right speed. I'll try pushing down on it too and hopefully that will sort it. Thanks very much for that maneesh.

Thats the way , set with pushing the end, "CRUISE" lights up in the dash, then down when reach speed, up to increase, down to increase. I had problems with mine until I read the owners manual, you do have one I presume. I had troiuble as I have changed from A SABB 9000 L Turbo and that set the curise by pushing the end at the speed you wanted.

Braking doesn't reset cruise as you might expect. If you haven't the owner's manual send me a mail and I will try and scan the relevant pages and send to you if that is allowed under forum rules.

Braking does lose Cruise, but, If I recall, there IS a way of getting back to original setting....so long since traffic has allowed me to use it!

Think it's pulling the lever back towards you? It's a wierd feeling as the car seems out of control as it surges forward towards the cars ahead!

If someone IS looking at the manual, it should be in there?

The cruise control only operates at speeds above 25MPH.

To switch the cruise on press the button in ( this will illuminate the green cruise light on the dash), accelerate to the desired speed, pull the control stalk down and remove foot from accelerator pedal.

To increase speed push the lever up ( or flick it to increase speed by 1MPH per flick) pull down or flick to decrease speed.

To cancel preset speed either push the lever in the cancel direction or touch the brake pedal.

If you need to increase speed in cruise mode to overtake for example, depress the accelerator pedal to perform and the car will resume the preset speed when the accelerator pedal is released.

If the cruise control indicator light flashes 5 times this indicates a malfunction with the system.

The above is an edited version of the owners handbook.

Hope this helps.

Hi

Thanks for all the replies. The cruise control is working perfectly now I have the technique right.

I am getting used to the car now, and I'm just amazed at how quiet and relaxing this car is on a run. It seems strange that I can sit at 75-80 and get 30mpg. My last car (a company car, 2006 Passat TDI Sport) would only have done about 40mpg at the same speed, and I know which car makes you feel better. Well worth the extra fuel consumption to sit in my leather armchair with my buttocks being gently toasted.

I've not even had the car 2 weeks yet, and already I can't see myself going back to a "normal" car again.