Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Okay, here's the story.

I purchased a second-hand GS430, a 2000 model. In it I have the DVD Navigator but no manual. The dealer takes a manual from another GS430 sitting in the park and gives it me. So far, so good.

I get home and start reading the manual and start noticing that it references a lot more functionality than I have on mine. Example of missing functionality from my disc are:

- no adaptive volume option on the audio (navigator voice) screen

- route calcuations return only the 'quick' and 'short' routes, not the 'alternative' rout option shown in my manual

- various buttons are in different places from where they are shown in the manual

- Main Menu screen is missing "Suspend Guidance", "Edit Route", "Route Preview" "Set Up" "Screen Configuration" and "DVD" options (I think some of these appear in different places on my version)

- No Maintenance menu

- No Calendar menu (for memos)

- a ton of other functionality missing.

"Okay" I thought. "I guess I simply need an updated version of the disc". So, I spoke first with Lexus Reading (my local dealership). The Lexus Centre Manager informed me that only one version of the disc has ever been released, although they are expecting a new version to emerge around April this year. By now I am totally confused. Why is my DVD different from the manual, and apparently, other GS300/430 discs?

I can think of only one of two reasons:

1) I do have an outdated DVD (looking increasingly unlikely)

2) The DVD I have been given is from a different model (perhaps the IS range)

Just a point to note. Before the car was handed over the Sales guy in Nottingham (where I got it from) swapped the DVD disc over as the original one in the car was 'skipping'. I am starting to think that he put the wrong disc in.

Appreciate any comments or thoughts on this problem.

Thanks

If it helps, I have the DVD Navigation System fitted in a 2002 IS200SE, and it has all the features that appear to be missing from your system, so that might not be the cause of your problem.

As far as I'm aware, there have been two releases of the DVD disk, certainly for the IS range anyway. Ver 1.0 (January 2001) seems to be the original, then there's a second version that was released in September 2002. This is according to info I received from Lexus by e-mailing Lexusinfo@lexuscontactcentre.co.uk

Hope you get the problem sorted. :unsure:

It sounds a little mysterious.

Do you have a button that says "DVD" on the top right of your main menu screen? (Accessed on an IS by pressing the "Dest" button). If so, push it - this should report the version of your disc.

I've been speaking with Lexus Reading to try and get the updated disc for my car (which was shipped with the old disc, despite being delivered after the new one was released). I think they've got one or order now.

The contact centre told me the disc for the IS DVD system is the same as the one in the SC, so I assume will be the same in the GS.

Have you been speaking to Mark at Reading?

A

I don't have the "DVD" option on the Main Menu screen, that is one of the missing options.

I have been speaking with James (Centre Manager) and John Blanchard. Perhaps I should have a chat with Mark. I assume it's Mark Hart you are referring to?

It sounds that, despite your DVD case, you may have the CD based nav system.

I'm afraid I agree with agalbraith on this - doesn't sound like you have a DVD based sat nav system.

don't know if this is because the salesperson put the wrong disc in, or 'cos they've mis-informed you.

Either way - you should go back to the dealer.

Try asking them to take the disc out of their SC (which has only ever had DVD based satnav) and put it in your unit.

If it won't run - you have a CD based system.

If it works - then you have a DVD based system with a CD in it - keep the SC disc and tell them to get a new one in for the SC - its not like they sell 15 a week and that model will be going out the door in a day or so!!

First of all, thanks for all the help and suggestion guys. You really are the Mutt's Nuts.

With sinking heart I went to the car to check if I had the CD version or not. Guess what? It's the DVD version as I was able to enter an old address I lived at in Germany :) Therefore I guess it must be the DVD version :D

Also, I spoke with Lexus ********* who have confirmed that there was a new release of the DVD last September or so and that I have the old version. They also have one in stock and will hold it for me until the weekend. Also, they will apply a 10% Gold Member discount - wohoo

:backofnet:

One last point which may be of interest to those with the CD based navigation. In the throws of my research into my problem I had the following information communicated to me by the Lexus Contact Centre (lexusinfo@lexuscontactcentre.co.uk)

The contact centre also have a Sat. Nav. CD loan system set up for Lexus customers who are travelling to Europe. The way this system works is you ring and book the CDs you require. At the time of booking we need a valid credit card number for security. The CDs are forwarded to you by Registered Mail. On your return you forward the CDs back to us by Registered Mail. The only cost to you is for the return mail as long as the CD is returned in the required time frame and is undamaged.
So, if any of you do pan to travel to Eruope you can get a free rental CD Navigator disc for your journey/holiday. Hope this proves to helpful. Apologies if you already knew this.

Glad you got it sorted :) The scary bit is that my local dealer quoted me around £400 (excl LOC discount of course) for the new DVD :blink:

I have been quoted £274.46 inc VAT with the 10% discount.

I'm quite happy to pay that to be honest (am I a bit simple?) :)

No GS430 was ever built with a CD Rom Navigation System so the system and disc must be a DVD system. The functionality varies across models slightly and without a handy GS430 to check I can't tell whether yours is correct. Does Sportie have Sat Nav, as he definently has a GS430. Maybe he could help you with some direct comparisons.