Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Battery Failure

New RX 400h bought november 2006 milage is at present 3500. went on holiday for three week when I returned the Battery was flat, I had to jump start it from another Battery, very difficult when you are on your own ? as soon as you start the car get out to disconnect the engine stops and swtches to the drive Battery than the car Battery goes flat again. the only way to move the car is to have somebody remove the jump leads and drive away.

I have returned the car to Lexus at Hedge End Hampshire and they have assured me there is nothing wrong, and have informed me by letter that "Lexus advise if storing the vehical for more than 10 days disconnect negitive terminal of the 12v Battery, this prevents discharge due to current to ECU's. Also advised by Lexus for Battery maintenance (including the hv Battery) charged every two weeks for 30 minutes by starting the hybrid system (Ready) with all electrical components off"

This of course means you can't park up for a two week holiday without disconnecting the Battery, not something I fancy doing at 3am at an airport carpark in the rain.

Has anyone got a solution.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New RX 400h bought november 2007 milage is at present 3500. went on holiday for three week when I returned the battery was flat, I had to jump start it from another battery, very difficult when you are on your own ? as soon as you start the car get out to disconnect the engine stops and swtches to the drive battery than the car battery goes flat again. the only way to move the car is to have somebody remove the jump leads and drive away.

I have returned the car to Lexus at Hedge End Hampshire and they have assured me there is nothing wrong, and have informed me by letter that "Lexus advise if storing the vehical for more than 10 days disconnect negitive terminal of the 12v battery, this prevents discharge due to current to ECU's. Also advised by Lexus for battery maintenance (including the hv Battery) charged every two weeks for 30 minutes by starting the hybrid system (Ready) with all electrical components off"

This of course means you can't park up for a two week holiday without disconnecting the battery, not something I fancy doing at 3am at an airport carpark in the rain.

I have to say I'm quite surprised at the problem. I have a Lexus GS450h obviously also hybrid. I have owned the car since October 2007 and covered only about 1,500 miles. So off course the car is left for several weeks at a time fully locked, and never had any problems starting. In fact the longest I have left it for is close on THREE Months, and apart from having to use the remote control button (the keyless entry shuts down after two weeks according to the handbook) it started without any problem. The handbook for the car states that in order to mainain the life of the Traction Battery, to drive the car for about 10 miles at least every three months.

Finaly since May I have driven the car about 1 mile. I am plannig on driving it in about 10 days time and fully anticipate it start without problem.

My advise is to speak once again to Lexus. Maybe you should try a Lexus dealer in the U.S. Its by far their biggest market and they may have a better idea.

Regards

Keith

New RX 400h bought november 2007 milage is at present 3500. went on holiday for three week when I returned the battery was flat, I had to jump start it from another battery, very difficult when you are on your own ? as soon as you start the car get out to disconnect the engine stops and swtches to the drive battery than the car battery goes flat again. the only way to move the car is to have somebody remove the jump leads and drive away.

I have returned the car to Lexus at Hedge End Hampshire and they have assured me there is nothing wrong, and have informed me by letter that "Lexus advise if storing the vehical for more than 10 days disconnect negitive terminal of the 12v battery, this prevents discharge due to current to ECU's. Also advised by Lexus for battery maintenance (including the hv Battery) charged every two weeks for 30 minutes by starting the hybrid system (Ready) with all electrical components off"

This of course means you can't park up for a two week holiday without disconnecting the battery, not something I fancy doing at 3am at an airport carpark in the rain.

Another example of poor customer service from Lexus, I am beginning to wonder where they got their good reputation from. A new car that cannot hold its charge for more than 10 days is a joke, no not a joke a disgrace to any company who advertise their exceptional customer care standards. Truth is they do not give a damn or so it seems.

As for a solution, I would start looking at other makes.

The Battery on my RX400h was flat on my return from a 2-week holiday. Lexus tells me it is quite usual for the Hybrid to do this after standing for 10 days. I am devastated by this. Most of my holidays are longer than 10 days. The suggestion to use a Battery isolator is rejected by Lexus as dangerous. They say the main Battery can explode!! They have no really good suggestions other than asking someone to take the car for a ride every few days. One of the technicians suggested using a solar tricke charger to start the car by plugging in to the cigarette lighter, but this means the car could not be lept in a garrage. I don't know what the answer is - but Lexus Service Department are looking into it. I can't believe that they have not come up with an answer, nor did they warn one about this problem.

• 2 weeks later...
New RX 400h bought november 2006 milage is at present 3500. went on holiday for three week when I returned the battery was flat, I had to jump start it from another battery, very difficult when you are on your own ? as soon as you start the car get out to disconnect the engine stops and swtches to the drive battery than the car battery goes flat again. the only way to move the car is to have somebody remove the jump leads and drive away.

Hi Rod, I posted a similar problem with my 400h. I too took this up with Lexus and got no joy. They say they are "working on a fix". What should we do meanwhile?? Have you thought about using a solar trickle charger (which sits on the dash-board in the sun) which is supposed to work via the cigarette lighter? One of the Lexus technicians suggested this. Should we try it?? Ruth

Hi Guys,

Very interested in the results of this one, if Lexus do come up with a "fix" can you let us all know, as I'll want to get mine fixed too.

I know how annoying duff batteries can be, I've been jump starting my mower all summer B)

Cheers

Jon

did they say how the battery can explode? if they say it is because of a spark when you open/close the contact then ask them will it explode when the battery is changed or the leads removed also?

Hi Fluff, I am an old lady so am not supposed to understand much about the inside of car engines, but was a scientist so do - a bit! They told me that becuase the two batterieds are connected and there is a flow of high voltage power between them even when the car is switched off, I should not even think of inserting the Battery switch (mentioned by someone else on this page) as the main Battery could explode. When I have a chance I will ask them for more details. They also said it would invalidate the guarantee of the main Battery (which is for 5 years). I did notice that when the RAC man came to jump-start the car, he did not hesitate to disconnect the terminal, and nothing happened!!. I am not convinced by their story, but am too chicken to try that suggestion. Will just have to call the RAC every time, and not park it at the airport next holicay. I am thinking of investigating the solar trickle charger via the cigarette lighter socket.

Hi Friends!

Looks like we all face the same kind of problems!

I had to jump start my car 4 times in the last half year. My car is 2 years old; Lexus tells me “there is no technical problem”.

Fact is that the 12V Battery is too small. Interestingly the first RX400 prototypes had an 80Ah 12V Battery.

We did some investigations and sorry but there is not enough space to install a larger (say 70 to 80Ah) Battery instead of the original 45Ah Battery.

Next is the solar trickle charger. At least in my car it would be useless because the cigarette lighter and the 12V plugs are not connected to the 12V system if you take out the ignition key.

The only possibility we found so far is to carry a second small (25- 25 Ah) 12V Battery in the trunk of your car to be able to jump start the car by yourself if it is needed.

This is a shame for a car of this price range and a company like Lexus.

Would be great if somebody (hopefully Lexus), will find a better and more elegant solution.

did they say how the battery can explode? if they say it is because of a spark when you open/close the contact then ask them will it explode when the battery is changed or the leads removed also?

They told me that becuase the two batterieds are connected and there is a flow of high voltage power between them even when the car is switched off, I should not even think of inserting the Battery switch (mentioned by someone else on this page) as the main Battery could explode. I am thinking of investigating the solar trickle charger via the cigarette lighter socket.

mmm so if there is a flow when the ignition switch is off that means that something is drawing a load all the time - no load = no power flow. it is true that the hybrid batteries are high voltage approx 280V but there is still a normal 12V Battery.

As mentioned before and it has been something that i had my doubts about is the trickle charger via the cigar lighter - the plug is only active when the ignition is in the ACC position so a trickle charger is useless unless its connected directly to the Battery.

a quick look on the lexus.com site says if the vehicle is parked for longer than 30 days then Battery charging may be required.

so its obvois something in the system is drawing a constant current.

They told me that becuase the two batterieds are connected and there is a flow of high voltage power between them even when the car is switched off, I should not even think of inserting the Battery switch (mentioned by someone else on this page) as the main Battery could explode. I am thinking of investigating the solar trickle charger via the cigarette lighter socket.

mmm so if there is a flow when the ignition switch is off that means that something is drawing a load all the time - no load = no power flow. it is true that the hybrid batteries are high voltage approx 280V but there is still a normal 12V Battery.

As mentioned before and it has been something that i had my doubts about is the trickle charger via the cigar lighter - the plug is only active when the ignition is in the ACC position so a trickle charger is useless unless its connected directly to the Battery.

a quick look on the lexus.com site says if the vehicle is parked for longer than 30 days then Battery charging may be required.

so its obvois something in the system is drawing a constant current.

The clock etc. :shutit:

Going back to my youth as a TVR owner, the deal was always to "plug" the car in to a 12V charger when leaving for a while - remember TVR's only come out in the summer.

Has anyone asked Lexus to provide an authorised plug in solution.

My TVR Tuscan had a purpose built socket just behind the passenger side front wheel, and you bought a lead with the correct plug on one end and crock clips on the other. Then when the Battery was flat, you just plug the lead into the Tiv and the AA handled the other end. This was mainly because you could not even get in the car unless it had a 12V supply.

Obviously you don't need such a solution for the 400h, as you can easily open the bonnet and jump as normal, but a smaller socket for trickle charge would solve a lot of the problems reported here, not airport carparks obviously.

Just a few ideas

Cheers

Jon

I have written to Lexus UK as I wasn't happy with their verbal response. I particularly asked about using the Battery isolator switch (told on the phone that it was dangerous), and the solar charger. I will let you all know when / if they deign to reply. Lets see their response, Ruth

This is for Fluff: I searched and have now been searching again on the lexus.com site but can't find the reference to 30 days that the Battery should stay viable. If you have a moment could you tell me where to find it. I need all the ammunition I can get hold of in my battle with Lexus. Ruth

Thanks very much, fluff!

Ruth

What I don't understand if all his is true, why is it not a problem while the cars are some weeks on the high seas from Japan and then in storage for a few more days...

I can't imagine them going round starting up all the cars on the ship :)

Thanks very much, fluff!

Ruth

What I don't understand if all his is true, why is it not a problem while the cars are some weeks on the high seas from Japan and then in storage for a few more days...

i asked lexus the same question and was told that for transport and storage the 12V Battery gets disconnected.

When reading this tread, I wonder whether we have got the same car. Our RX400h is parked in our garage in the Algarve (without any attention), it has started up every time we come down, even when as this last time it had been left for just under four months.

We must have been lucky and got a good model, as far as Battery discharge is concerned. I take it you leave the car in "parked" mode, and have no additional electrical extras connected up? Wish you luck in getting the problem solved.

When reading this tread, I wonder whether we have got the same car. Our RX400h is parked in our garage in the Algarve (without any attention), it has started up every time we come down, even when as this last time it had been left for just under four months.

We must have been lucky and got a good model, as far as battery discharge is concerned. I take it you leave the car in "parked" mode, and have no additional electrical extras connected up? Wish you luck in getting the problem solved.

looks like we really have different cars!

during an upgrade to Xenon high beams i disconnected the 12V Battery of my car. when i reconnected the Battery i used an amper meter to measure the the current the car is drawing when everything is off (no internal light on, ignition key is off).

the car draws 0,177 ampere. this means that the 45Ah Battery will be empty after 10 days and this is what the user manual tells you i think.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to keep everyone interested up to date: Lexus eventually contacted me. Even though the Battery had been checked already, they want to re-test it ober a prolonged period. So - on my next holiday coming up soon, I will leave the car with them for testing. At least I won't have to call the RAC to start me up on return, but will have to take a cab home.

Thanks very much, fluff!

Ruth

What I don't understand if all this is true, why is it not a problem while the cars are some weeks on the high seas from Japan and then in storage for a few more days...

i asked lexus the same question and was told that for transport and storage the 12V Battery gets disconnected.

Just to keep everyone interested up to date: Lexus eventually contacted me. Even though the battery had been checked already, they want to re-test it ober a prolonged period. So - on my next holiday coming up soon, I will leave the car with them for testing. At least I won't have to call the RAC to start me up on return, but will have to take a cab home.

i will be with my RX400 next week at my lexus dealer to measure the current which is drawn from the 12V Battery in parking mode and we will compare this to other RX400 in order to find out if my car does have a problem.

will keep you informed on the findings

willi