Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Battery Failure

Just to keep everyone interested up to date: Lexus eventually contacted me. Even though the battery had been checked already, they want to re-test it ober a prolonged period. So - on my next holiday coming up soon, I will leave the car with them for testing. At least I won't have to call the RAC to start me up on return, but will have to take a cab home.

i will be with my RX400 next week at my lexus dealer to measure the current which is drawn from the 12V Battery in parking mode and we will compare this to other RX400 in order to find out if my car does have a problem.

will keep you informed on the findings

willi

so my lexus service checkt my car and it is acording to specs and they also compared the mesurements to a new one and the two cars are drawing the same current from the 12V batterie.

so the RX400 is drawing around 0,177 Amps from the batterie. all lexus sources i asked are telling that the car should not stay for longer than 10 days without charging the 12V batt to make shure that you can start the car again. the 10 days multiplied by the 0,177 amps resulting in 42Amp/hours, the 12V batt of the RX400 has a capacity (fully charged) of 45Amps/hours so we have a perfect match here.

i was also told that the problem is very well known at lexus but nobody at lexus is taking aktion or at least there is no official statment from lexus to there dealers.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, sounds like a real mess regarding the 12V Battery and large current drain.

I was thinking about this, am I correct if I say the 12V Battery does turn the engine over when starting - this is done by the traction batteries driving the front electric motor ?????

If this is so, then in order to "jump" the car, you don't need too much current? Only enough to get the electronics going etc. Therefore could you carry a small 12V Battery like I have in my mower or a 12V motorbike Battery as backup? I had to replace my mower Battery the other day - £34 and it would fit in the glove box! On occasions when you know you will be leaving the car for a while, you just take this along - no need for RAC/AA. A bit crap, but we are where we are, as they say.

If my theory is correct, you might get away with 8 'D cell' Duracells in series - I'd like to see someone do that!!!!

Jon

I would like to share with you the problem of restarting the car when the Battery is flat. The RAC started the car with their jump leads. and advised me that I had to keep the engine ticking over. This is easier said than done. If the engine is not ticking over, the car once again "dies". The RAC instruction was to keep the engine ticking over by keeping the accelerator fully depressed for 20 minutes before releasing the accelerator. Releasing the accelerator earlier resulted in the engine cutting out, and the hybrid needing re-jumping. Of course I was nervous going for a ride to charge the Battery in case it cut out at the traffic lights or in heavy traffic!!

Hi everyone,

Hope the following will be of interest.. Before I retired I worked in the Battery Industry for over 30 years. I do know a little about this subject.. but first :-

I run a 2002 RX300. Purchased second hand from Lexus Oxford last year. After only a few months I encountered the same problem with the Battery.. Leave the car for a couple of weeks and no way would I get a start. Out came the jump leads.

I was APPALLED to see the car had only a 40 amp hour Lucas Battery fitted which I assumed would have been the first original fit ( Lucas batteries were taken over by Japanese Yuasa).

As the car was purchased second hand, I had no idea what the guarantee would be . However I complained to Lexus and Lexus Coventry (nearer to where I live) came to the rescue. The fitted a new Battery free of charge for me ... HOWEVER.. the replacement Battery fitted was a 70 amp hour.TOYOTA GENUINE PARTS. 'OPTIFIT' QUALITY PRODUCT. MADE IN FRANCE. SEALED FOR LIFE WITH THE MAGIC EYE STATE OF CHARGE AID. From my past experience I am fairly sure this is an AC Delco product. made from LEAD CALCIUM plates, probably one of the best products ( in my opinion second to VARTA)

made. So far I have no had a starting problem.

With the present installation, the comments made about 'space to fit a bigger battery' not available are correct. the 70ah Toyota Battery however is the same size...

Plese consider however the 'parasitic load' problem .. ie all the drain taking place all the time the car is stored from the pre-set radio, the relays, the alternator etc... My car does not have a Lexus Sat Nav. Their is proably a constant small drain from the sat nav.. I am not sure on this point however.

If any members get their Battery replaced by Lexus on either the 300 series or the hybrid models INSIST Lexus replace the Battery with the OPTIFIT (pt. no. 28800-YZZ ) 70 ah.

Hope this has been of interest.

Their is no doubt the starter Battery spec on these cars is UNACCEPTABLE. My other car a 330D BMW has a 90 amp hour Battery to 'sop' up all the quiescent drain.

Roy

I would like to share with you the problem of restarting the car when the battery is flat. The RAC started the car with their jump leads. and advised me that I had to keep the engine ticking over. This is easier said than done. If the engine is not ticking over, the car once again "dies". The RAC instruction was to keep the engine ticking over by keeping the accelerator fully depressed for 20 minutes before releasing the accelerator. Releasing the accelerator earlier resulted in the engine cutting out, and the hybrid needing re-jumping. Of course I was nervous going for a ride to charge the battery in case it cut out at the traffic lights or in heavy traffic!!

sorry to say this, but your RCA guy does not have the slightest idea how your RX400 is working.

the 12V Battery is getting charged from your 288V Battery (the one below the back seats) as soon as the computers are in ready state! your cars engine is ONLY charging the 288V Battery.

OK, sounds like a real mess regarding the 12V battery and large current drain.

I was thinking about this, am I correct if I say the 12V battery does turn the engine over when starting - this is done by the traction batteries driving the front electric motor ?????

If this is so, then in order to "jump" the car, you don't need too much current? Only enough to get the electronics going etc. Therefore could you carry a small 12V battery like I have in my mower or a 12V motorbike battery as backup? I had to replace my mower battery the other day - £34 and it would fit in the glove box! On occasions when you know you will be leaving the car for a while, you just take this along - no need for RAC/AA. A bit crap, but we are where we are, as they say.

If my theory is correct, you might get away with 8 'D cell' Duracells in series - I'd like to see someone do that!!!!

Jon

yes, a RX400 owner in swizerland is exactly doing this. he is carrying a 20A/h batterie in the trunk and connects it to the 12V connector in the trunk if he need to jumpstart the cars 12V batt.

Hi everyone,

Hope the following will be of interest.. Before I retired I worked in the Battery Industry for over 30 years. I do know a little about this subject.. but first :-

I run a 2002 RX300. Purchased second hand from Lexus Oxford last year. After only a few months I encountered the same problem with the battery.. Leave the car for a couple of weeks and no way would I get a start. Out came the jump leads.

I was APPALLED to see the car had only a 40 amp hour Lucas battery fitted which I assumed would have been the first original fit ( Lucas batteries were taken over by Japanese Yuasa).

As the car was purchased second hand, I had no idea what the guarantee would be . However I complained to Lexus and Lexus Coventry (nearer to where I live) came to the rescue. The fitted a new battery free of charge for me ... HOWEVER.. the replacement battery fitted was a 70 amp hour.TOYOTA GENUINE PARTS. 'OPTIFIT' QUALITY PRODUCT. MADE IN FRANCE. SEALED FOR LIFE WITH THE MAGIC EYE STATE OF CHARGE AID. From my past experience I am fairly sure this is an AC Delco product. made from LEAD CALCIUM plates, probably one of the best products ( in my opinion second to VARTA)

With the present installation, the comments made about 'space to fit a bigger battery' not available are correct. the 70ah Toyota battery however is the same size...

Plese consider however the 'parasitic load' problem .. ie all the drain taking place all the time the car is stored from the pre-set radio, the relays, the alternator etc... My car does not have a Lexus Sat Nav. Their is proably a constant small drain from the sat nav.. I am not sure on this point however.

If any members get their battery replaced by Lexus on either the 300 series or the hybrid models INSIST Lexus replace the battery with the OPTIFIT (pt. no. 28800-YZZ ) 70 ah.

Their is no doubt the starter battery spec on these cars is UNACCEPTABLE. My other car a 330D BMW has a 90 amp hour battery to 'sop' up all the quiescent drain.

Roy

yes this is of high interest! could you provide me with the dimensions (L/W/H) of this Battery?

Hi everyone,

I run a 2002 RX300. Purchased second hand from Lexus Oxford last year. After only a few months I encountered the same problem with the battery.. Leave the car for a couple of weeks and no way would I get a start. Out came the jump leads.

I was APPALLED to see the car had only a 40 amp hour Lucas battery fitted which I assumed would have been the first original fit ( Lucas batteries were taken over by Japanese Yuasa).

As the car was purchased second hand, I had no idea what the guarantee would be . However I complained to Lexus and Lexus Coventry (nearer to where I live) came to the rescue. The fitted a new battery free of charge for me ... HOWEVER.. the replacement battery fitted was a 70 amp hour.TOYOTA GENUINE PARTS. 'OPTIFIT' QUALITY PRODUCT. MADE IN FRANCE. SEALED FOR LIFE WITH THE MAGIC EYE STATE OF CHARGE AID. From my past experience I am fairly sure this is an AC Delco product. made from LEAD CALCIUM plates, probably one of the best products ( in my opinion second to VARTA)

With the present installation, the comments made about 'space to fit a bigger battery' not available are correct. the 70ah Toyota battery however is the same size...

If any members get their battery replaced by Lexus on either the 300 series or the hybrid models INSIST Lexus replace the battery with the OPTIFIT (pt. no. 28800-YZZ ) 70 ah.

Their is no doubt the starter battery spec on these cars is UNACCEPTABLE. My other car a 330D BMW has a 90 amp hour battery to 'sop' up all the quiescent drain.

Roy

yes this is of high interest! could you provide me with the dimensions (L/W/H) of this Battery?

Hi Williz,

Nice to hear from you again. I'm still in your debt for the help you gave me with 'Bluetooth' set up when I bought my Lexus..

The dimensions of my 70ah Lexus supplied Battery are. L 260 W 170 H 204 (H is to top of Battery box not top of posts.)The state of charge magic eye sits near the neg posts. The up and over clamp is the same as originally fitted.

If I had an RX400 hybrid giving the type of problems explained on the site, I would certainly consider carrying another Battery in the rear wired in parallel to the main starter Battery ... care must be taken, if someone wires another Battery in series, I am sure you know the result.... Incidentally if anyone out there is interested this is exactly the problem encounteed by Rolls Royce in the 1970's.

They eventually solved it by fitting the same high spec Battery in the boot, wired in such a way that it was seperated from the main starter Battery (also in the boot) . This Battery handled all the 'hotel loads ie relays, pre-programmed radio. alternator etc.etc. The second Battery was charged from the same alternator but seperated from the drain by blocking diodes... The result was a 100% success.. Maybe Lexus should introduce a second Battery to the RX400 ?

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting thread for two reasons to me:

1. My business partner has a 400h like me and his Battery went flat after he spent an evening listening to his stereo whilst having a barbecue at a campsite. RAC confirmed that the 400h is "well known for having an undersized battery"

2. Having been duly warned, I parked my 400h in my garage leaving good access to the engine compartment when I went away for three weeks. Yup, it was as flat as a pancake when I got back. AA started it for me and I took it for a 10 mile fast drive. No further problems, although having to reprogram my driving position was annoying, and it still doesn't feel quite right....!

Lexus, we need more POWER!

Bladgb :duh:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Yes, the RX-400h has a small Battery but:

As any motorcycle owner knows (usually the hard way) if you leave your moto with the alarm on for more than 15 days you get a dead Battery.

and because the beginning is the half of everything:

Has yor dealer delivered your car with the Battery checked and fully charged?

Did you parked your car, leaving for holidays, with the Battery fully charged or you placed it in the airport parking after many small stops here and there?

Did you park the car with the immobilizer and alarm ON for more than 15 days? ANY alarm circuit (including radar) can drain the Battery if stayed on for more than 10-15 days.

By having a bigger Battery you earn:

a. More stored current.

b. Or more parked days

you loose by having:

a. More carrying weight

b. More hood space

c. More replacement cost.

That's why cars made in Japan have starters needing smaller batteries. Try to start an Alfa Romeo with your Japan car Battery and you will understand me.

By having a bigger battery you earn:

a. More stored current.

b. Or more parked days

you loose by having:

a. More carrying weight

b. More hood space

c. More replacement cost.

a. More carrying weight - possibly depending on the materials used but a modern Battery is usually lighter

b. More hood space - highter capacity Battery doesnt always mean a larger Battery - it still has to fit in the same Battery tray

c. More replacement cost. i found prices to be all about the same at worst there was a few £ difference but this shouldnt be a deciding factor

• 4 weeks later...
Hi everyone,

Roy

Hi Robroy,

I'm sorry I didn't read your comments before collecting my 400h today. I have written on this Forum many times in the past few months about my Battery problem. My car has been at Lexus for the past 4 weeks "being checked-out" while I was abroad for a month, because of my problems prior to leaving with a repeated flat 12V Battery. They told me this morning that during the month they checked it after 2 weeks and it started; almost didn't start after 3 weeks, and was flat 2 days later. They charged it up, and they said that it had held its charge. They were due to deliver it to me this morning as being "perfectly fine", but when they tried to drive it here it was again flat and their "testing showed a Battery fault"!!! ??What testing?? They replaced the Battery. I think they are just trying to fob me off, being an old lady. But I will need to check the Battery details as you describe.

I have found your comments the most useful so far. I will challenge Lexus tomorrow with this information.

Rufels

Hi everyone,

Roy

Hi Rob,

The Battery I was given yesterday has the part number 28800-YZZ, so I presume this is what you recommend. They tell me that my previous 'bad" Battery was the same!!! Will now have to wait for my next holiday abroad in December.

Ruth (Rufels)

Hi Robroy,

I'm sorry I didn't read your comments before collecting my 400h today. I have written on this Forum many times in the past few months about my battery problem. My car has been at Lexus for the past 4 weeks "being checked-out" while I was abroad for a month, because of my problems prior to leaving with a repeated flat 12V battery. They told me this morning that during the month they checked it after 2 weeks and it started; almost didn't start after 3 weeks, and was flat 2 days later. They charged it up, and they said that it had held its charge. They were due to deliver it to me this morning as being "perfectly fine", but when they tried to drive it here it was again flat and their "testing showed a battery fault"!!! ??What testing?? They replaced the battery. I think they are just trying to fob me off, being an old lady. But I will need to check the battery details as you describe.

I have found your comments the most useful so far. I will challenge Lexus tomorrow with this information.

Rufels

Hi everyone,

Roy

In my experience it's vital to turn off the auto headlight switch when parking up for long periods. My old IS300 and RX300 both suffered from flat batteries after being left for 5-6 weeks with the auto h/l switched on, but when left for similar periods with it switched off they were fine. I recently left my RX400h for 3 weeks with the auto h/l switched off and it too was fine.

I've had mine (RX400h) for a year now and still hate the torque steer and am not fond of the constantly variable transmission. It's OK in normal use, but when calling for brisk acceleration when, say joing a motorway it all sounds a bit frenzied.

Les

I saw that thing advertised, and in my experience things like that wouldn't jump start a fiat Uno if the Battery was dead.

That said, as all you have to do is give the 12V system on the 400h a couple of amps to start the ECU's (the traction batteries actually start the V6), then this product is probably exactly what is required. I'm still on for trying 8 D Cell Duracells though!

just been reading these posts with interest (I have an IS200, not RX400h). Shame Lexus aren't bending over backwards to help out!!

As a suggestion to help "jbanfie" out, why doesn't someone measure the current draw from the 12V Battery during starting, then you will know if the 8 D cell idea would work or not!! :-)

.............you never know!

Hi Guys and Gals

The Battery saga rolls on..... I am so cheesed of with it I am in the throws of jumping ship and going back to Merc... A pity really as I do like the car and it is a super tow car...

To our friends who read my last screed and how I managed a new 70 ah Battery foc out of Lexus Coventry, I thought my problems were at an end.... WRONG after 8 or 9 days untouched and with a voltage of only 11.7v the car would not start.. A jump start soon had it running. This seemed to happen after a couple of frosty nights.

On Monday I 'mothballed ' the car by moving the caravan from in front of the car and putting the Lexus in the garage... Hang on. I noticed something strange..... When I removed the ignition key... and closed all doors BUT DID NOT LOCK THEM... The red security diode still FLASHED.. Put the key back in the lock. Leave everything switched off. Leave the doors unloked... NO DIODE FLASHInG

Everything on the security side inactive.... Goodie goodie from this area NO PARASITIC LOAD from the ignition.

Obviously I am not going to recommend we all leave our cars unlocked and leave the key in the dashboard....... In my case for the time being this is what I am doing... OK the garage is locked, there is a caravan and another car in front of the garage door... I will take regulary voltage readings and dates to see how the Battery discharges... If I come up with something I will report it on the forum immediately.Is it the drain from the security side that is flatening our batteries ?

Could anyone out there help me on a lttle puzzle in this area please.... My worry is... If we disconnect the Battery on the RX and say leave the car overnight, question 1 Do we loose all our memory stored in the radio pre set stations,? 2. Do all other things work OK

things like electric windows etc... 3. Is the Lexus radio coded ? I did this with my previous car (Merc E series E300D 210 model..) I had a devil of a job to reset the windows.

Sorry to ramble on. Like you all I think the way Lexus are trying to put this matter right is a complete disgrace. I would be very nervous of changing my RX300 to a RX400/450 where jump starting becomes a real problem if you are on your own.

Roy

Roy,

Have you taken the headlights out of automatic mode as described by someone above in this thread? I can kind of see a way this would help, my lights stay on until the drivers door is opened, so there is still power to some of the circuits without the key in the ignition!!!!!!

Worth a test

Cheers

Jon

Regarding the dash LED flashing, this does it for 2 reasons. When you take key out of ignition and don;t lock the car, it indicates imobiliser as this is controlled via the inductive loop on the ignition barrell. Once you lock the car, it then shows alarm is active (detected by loop by door lock, or key fob receiver. Thats my understanding, though I have not looked at the LED on my IS for a bit, so would have to confirm.

I am guessing that when the key is out of the ignition and in the door, the system senses the key and turns the LED off?

Is the alarm in the RX the same as in IS200 - i.e. radar based? The drain from this is usually lower than normal sensors - so I read somewhere.

I am guessing that the alarm load on the RX is higher than normal/other cars and this is why the Battery drains so quickly.

It is interesting though that someone mentioned they has a GSxxxh which had no issues after leaving for months! Why is the RX so bad - do people have Battery drain issues on non hybrid models - RX300 etc?

I saw that thing advertised, and in my experience things like that wouldn't jump start a fiat Uno if the battery was dead.

That said, as all you have to do is give the 12V system on the 400h a couple of amps to start the ECU's (the traction batteries actually start the V6), then this product is probably exactly what is required. I'm still on for trying 8 D Cell Duracells though!

I have no problem starting an IS with a 100% flat Battery using a booster pack. think it supplies 900A for 5 secs - more than enough to start the car.

I saw that thing advertised, and in my experience things like that wouldn't jump start a fiat Uno if the battery was dead.

I have no problem starting an IS with a 100% flat Battery using a booster pack. think it supplies 900A for 5 secs - more than enough to start the car.

Thanks for replies guys... As you've gathered I intend cracking this nut or creating one hell of a stink..

NOW THEN..So far GOOD news and BAD news.

The good news. Following Kev and Jons replies, I have just come out of the garage where the car (2002 Lexus RX300 with 26k miles whas been stood for over 24 hours with the Ignition key in the lock and a Battery OCV of 12.46v.

The voltage still reads 12.46v.... NO NOTICEABLE current drain whatsoever. I am convinced here that the problem lies in the high

current drain when the car is parked up and locked in the normal way with the keyfob which automatically sends in the deadlock and alarms the car as it should do... I also have a BMW 3 series diesel with a similar system... 3 weeks in Teneriife have been enjoyed with the car stored and secured near B'Ham Airpot .... Started first time.

NOW THEN The BAD news , first the quiescent loads flattening the Battery (40 ah ot 70ah) whilst the veicle is in storage ar FAR to HIGH. None of us can fix this... It requires a complete re-design of the security ignition system and a system introduced with a far lower storage discharge. This should also be coupled with a higher Ah Battery. The smaller BMW 3 series diesel as a 90 ah Battery (the same size as an ambulance Battery.

The comments from Jon have been noted... No, I have never used the automatic Headlight on and off thing. For my motoring this is a feature I can do without.

I will continue to monitor Battery voltage and report back from time to time... From my end I think I have cracked quite wrongly, this problem by storing the car in the locked garage and leaving the dam key in the dashboard all the time the car is off the road.. ie all winter.

WILLIZ over there in Vienna , where are you ? You are the man on these things and with your RX400 have suffered... There are many people over here would love to hear your views on the above.. kind regards Roy.

Before I go... VERY INTERESTED in the 900 booster pack.... However are you happy that the cable with this kit can handle 900A?

If I get the RX nicked the laughs on me !

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links