Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Is200 Sport

Am Rob and a new member;

Have decided to sell up with the Focus ive been running and buy a Lexus IS200 2.0 Sport, I am after either charcoal or black, but have some other questions;

-Roughly what can I expect from a tank of fuel driving normally (or for me to compare - how many miles to £50?)

(the focus only used to do 220 to £50 so am hoping might be better with the lexus)

-Should I be put off by 85000+ mile cars (00/01 plate)

-Any common faults to check for

If can get my Focus sold quick enough will be buying a silver one from a mates garage as its good condition and is a lovely car

Any info would be much appreciated, have just sorted insurance price out so am quite happy - is same price as the focus (£2000 per year)

Your happy paying 2k a year insurance? WOW!!!

As for fuel 50 quid should get you about 300 mile on a decent trip but not much more I wouldnt have thought.

I wouldnt be put off having an 85K plus car however make sure its had its belt changed and see if the water pump was done at the same time.

Other faults would include ball joints so have a nosy around there for movement etc. Lastly check the inside tire wear the geometry was out from factory which causing inside tyre problems so check them out. Its an easy fix but something that should be looked out for

Yeah will happily pay £2000, have just turned 19 and work hard for a living so like to splash out on my cars

Many thanks for the reply will go and enquire about the above points when have another look at the silver IS tomorrow

£2k even for 19 is quite high but if your happy paying it then fair enough mate.

I get around 300 miles on £40 so you shoudnt have a problem getting more than 250.

As already said main problems with the IS are inside tyre wear which is easily solved and cd player problems. But mainly they are a reliable motor so you hopefully wont have many problems.

What focus do you have? Is it a ST170 or the ST

When pick one up will get it fully laser aligned for £25 from my mate.

Have literally contacted every insurance company on the net and in the yellow pages so am happy that ive shopped around enough!

The car im getting rid of is a tuned up focus 2.0 - kicking out around 160bhp - also made it a sleeper with just little touches on it

Many thanks

Rob

Have you tried adrien flux?? a friend just saved £300 by going with them.

I have a '99 reg S with 130k on the clock and other than the Battery going flat ive had no problems!

Welcome to LOC too mate. i thought i was young at 23 to be driving a Lex, but you win it hands down! :lol:

When pick one up will get it fully laser aligned for £25 from my mate.

You can get it laser alligned but if you have inside tyre wear then it wont help mate.

The standard set up of the wheels by lexus was out originally due to using foreign parts. So if it hasnt had the geometry done you will find no matter how many times you get the wheels alligned it wont solve the problem. Sorry.

You do realise the IS probably wont be as fast as your Focus was!

Your just a little younger than me as i'm 21 but there are a few drivers on here that are 19!

Mine was set up by my local Lexus dealer after 2 new tyres went to dangerous

within 1500 mines (inner edges almost gone).

They took 2 & a half hours doing it and they are still out.

Up to u what u do but anyone who has had the geometry

checked and adjusted by Tony (known as The Dr.) would

agree he is the IS200 geometry Guru....

He doesent just adjust the tracking, camber , toe and

more other things than I can remember are checked.

The inner tyre wear is a universal problem with the IS200.

Lexus did not do their sums right, so any info other garages

may have will be the info from Lexus GB. (i.e WRONG)

Trust what people are on LOC are saying... go to WIM

(wheels in motion) or somewhere that Tony recommends.

See THIS POST to reveal some answers

and then PM Tony.

You will thanks yourself later !!

Thanks for the welcome and advice - tried adrian flux but they wanted £3600 - my top limit for car insurance is £3000.

The focus was quick - doing 0-60 in 8.9 as standard, mine was estimated to be low 8seconds nearly 7's, will miss it but have already got plans for the lexus :winky:

Am thinking exhaust, induction kit, tein coilovers, etc :shifty:

Rob

Good to hear you've got some plans set out theres lots of options available for mods and i'm sure if you need any help someone on here will have the answer!

If you get some new headlights i know i man who can fit them :D

Good to hear you've got some plans set out theres lots of options available for mods and i'm sure if you need any help someone on here will have the answer!

Sorry had problem with computer so if a mod would be so kind and remove the numerous posts for me

Any info would be much appreciated, have just sorted insurance price out so am quite happy - is same price as the focus (£2000 per year)

Get an SE and your insurance should be much less

Am Rob and a new member;

Have decided to sell up with the Focus ive been running and buy a Lexus IS200 2.0 Sport, I am after either charcoal or black, but have some other questions;

-Roughly what can I expect from a tank of fuel driving normally (or for me to compare - how many miles to £50?)

(the focus only used to do 220 to £50 so am hoping might be better with the lexus)

-Should I be put off by 85000+ mile cars (00/01 plate)

-Any common faults to check for

If can get my Focus sold quick enough will be buying a silver one from a mates garage as its good condition and is a lovely car

Hi Rob welcome to LOC.

In response to your questions. Don't expect a drop in your fuel bills. The Lexus is a 2 litre 6-cylinder engine that's a bit of a heavy drinker. Not exactly George Best but it does like a drink. Lexus's (or is it Lexi?) are built pretty tough but make sure you see an FSH and get a HPI check to verify milage - standard stuff. Get a mechanic to look over the car if buying from a private buyer - get one from a Lexus dealer and you'll be in better hands. Tracking/geometry is a known area - most of us have been to/are going to WheelsInMotion to see Tony who sorts that out really well. I don't think you should be put off by higher milage car - they wear the miles really well and an 85k+ car shouldn't be a problem. My car is only 20k so I'm perhaps not the best one to advise on this. I'd seriously consider shopping around for your insurance. 2k is a lot. I'm 25 and I pay £300 odd for my 2005 IS which is standard and if you get to know people on here some of the guys have turbocharged, supercharged modded out IS's and they pay a lot less than 2k. Goot luck with buying the car.

Keith

£2000 :tsktsk: me...thats a lot of money jus for a 200...

im 21, and with my is300 im only paying £780 with tesco insurance and 3 yrs no claims....be sure to shop around most insurance companies trade under different names but are part of one group. i.e bell, hastings direct, admiral to name a few.

whoa!!!! your paying well over the odds on the insurance mate, you gotta shop around, look in the auto trader there's a few companies in there that will knock your price well down :)