Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is F V New M3

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Torque = Pulling or pushing Power

Horsepower = How many times the Power is available in a short space of time. ie per second

Lots of Horsepower normally means good top speed B)

Lots of Torque mean fast acceleration :)

The lower down the rev range Peak Torque is, the easier it is to accelerate out of slow corners etc.

I know its not a technical description but in simple terms its like Amps + Volts

Amps being the Torque

Volts being horsepower

Lexus IS-F = Gimmie gimmie want one :devil:

Torque = Pulling or pushing Power

Horsepower = How many times the Power is available in a short space of time. ie per second

Lots of Horsepower normally means good top speed B)

Lots of Torque mean fast acceleration :)

The lower down the rev range Peak Torque is, the easier it is to accelerate out of slow corners etc.

I know its not a technical description but in simple terms its like Amps + Volts

Amps being the Torque

Volts being horsepower

Lexus IS-F = Gimmie gimmie want one :devil:

Pretty much

BHP (basically) = Torque x Revs

Power = Volts x Amps

So Voltage is like Torque (force) and Current (Amps) is like revs (how fast it is going) :D

And like you say loads of torque there so one quick off the mark car, assuming weight is about the same.

Here's the article http://cars.uk.msn.com/Reviews/article.asp...umentid=5449229

Don't get me wrong I think the New M3 looks very nice and has some powerful figures but I would take the IS F EVERYTIME.

I wrote on here a while ago that Lexus re-wrote the history books some 18 years ago, amd I told you, they are about to the same again with the IS F.

Looking at the figures, the IS F beats the M3 in every area, and I know that Lexus usually under promise and over deliver.

The IS F is going to be one hell of a car!

i dont think the new M3 will be beat by a Lexus.Audi rs4 on paper has more torque,but it still wont beat the new M3.What do you think M engineers have been doing for the last 3 years,trying to bulid a car that gets beaten as soon as they launch it.I feel in september some people will be eating their words.I doubt Lexus can beat bmw at anything other than luxury,especially not performance.Paper is one thing,real life is another.

i dont think the new M3 will be beat by a Lexus.Audi rs4 on paper has more torque,but it still wont beat the new M3.What do you think M engineers have been doing for the last 3 years,trying to bulid a car that gets beaten as soon as they launch it.I feel in september some people will be eating their words.I doubt Lexus can beat bmw at anything other than luxury,especially not performance.Paper is one thing,real life is another.

Fair comment but have Lexus ever set out to build a performance car before?

So Voltage is like Torque (force) and Current (Amps) is like revs (how fast it is going) :D

Ermm actually its the other way round..

Volts are like Revs (high volts + bugger all amps is ok)

Amps is like Torque ie pull yer arms out yer sockets

(high amps + bugger all volts will kill yer everytime)

Dont get me wrong , lots a volts can still kill, but lots amps

will get the job done everytime. I'm quoting what

my Uncle taught me & he's an Electrician.

Ermm actually its the other way round..

Volts are like Revs (high volts + bugger all amps is ok)

Amps is like Torque ie pull yer arms out yer sockets

(high amps + bugger all volts will kill yer everytime)

Dont get me wrong , lots a volts can still kill, but lots amps

will get the job done everytime. I'm quoting what

my Uncle taught me & he's an Electrician.

:offtopic: I know but Electromotive FORCE is measured in Volts SEE HERE and determines how much current will flow through a given resistance. Current measured in Amps is how quickly electrical charge is flowing SEE HERE. So Volts are like torque and Amps are like revs.

Your uncle told you no lie, amps kill not volts, a static electrical shock measures 100K+ volts and sure won't kill you :D

Anyway back to the IS-F potentially an awesome car IMHO

no they havent,and if it keeps up with the M3,then they will have acheived alot more than M engineers as theyve only been doing it for a little while,but people seem to think that the IS-F is going to waste the M3 and that is just laughable.If the new M3 costs 55k and the IS-F costs 40k,then again Lexus will have acheived alot,but figures on paper mean bugger all.The e46 was built in 2000 and was fairly unbeatable,then the S4 was launched,that didnt work,so audi then built the rs4 to kick its *****,which it did,now BMW are back almost 7 years later and have created a car which not only kicks the rs4 into touch but takes a huge amount of secs of its nurburgring time.If the IS-F gets around the nurburgring quicker than the M3,then ill personally drive to germany and kill all known M engineers and then buy the IS-F,but somehow i dont think its gonna happen.

I know you love your M3 mate and a great car it is too. I don't recall anyone saying that the IS-F will "waste" an M3 just that on paper it looks like it will be a worthy competitor.

As you rightly say theory is one thing and practice is another, max torque figures are meaningless really as it could all happen in a 1000 rpm peak what matters is HOW the torque is delivered. If you got a wide flat torque curve with a small bump at 350 Lbf/ft then you got one meaty engine, narrow steep one with a peak at 350 Lbf/ft is and it will be no and off the power band too fast. What matters is the area under the torque curve.

Anyway time will tell.

I'd have the IS-F over the M3 cos it would be mighty close in my opinion,

plus the IS-F is a Lex :wub:

Anyone got tomorrows winning lottery numbers :whistling:

Yup me too and I got the numbers but am a greedy sod :lol:

And like you say loads of torque there so one quick off the mark car, assuming weight is about the same.

roughly:

the E46 weighs in at 1500 kg

the is250 at 2000kg

looks like the isf will be a bit of a heavyweight, as i imagine it will be a bit heavier than the is250

no exact figure found for the new m3

:unsure:

Wasn’t it said some 18 years ago that Mercedes and BMW were the pinnacle of Luxury cars and build quality and they wouldn’t be surpassed?

Yes, that’s right then came along the Lexus LS 400.

Lexus are cutting edge Luxury, Hybrid technology and Build Quality and they haven’t really tried their hand at performance up until now.

Whilst I appreciate the guys at M for the last 3 years have been working extremely hard, I’m also certain the guys at F have been working exceptionally hard during the last 10 years as that’s how long the F division has been in the pipeline.

And tell me, gear changes on the IS F within a tenth of a second, come on just that alone is very impressive!!!!!!!!!

i know everyone thinks that i bow down to everything M,its not true.I appreciate that Lexus are building a car to rival the RS4 and the new M3 and will probably build an excellent car,but i just think they are gonna struggle with respect to beating it.The reason people buy M3 cars is that they are amazing track machines,not outright acceleration.Ive said before, if in the real world the IS-F beats the M3 in all things then i will reject M and go F,but i still think its a tall order.its funny how audi has decided one week after the press release of the M3,that they have stopped production of the RS4,i think they may have had a drive and been a little impressed.Also BMW e46 sales made up 14% of all 3 series sales.I hear BMW is looking to beat this also,meaning the M3 will be mass produced and targetted now not at true sport car enthusiasts,but at people who have an image interest.If you want out right straight line acceleration then an AMG is what you need,they are unbeatable.

i know everyone thinks that i bow down to everything M,its not true.I appreciate that Lexus are building a car to rival the RS4 and the new M3 and will probably build an excellent car,but i just think they are gonna struggle with respect to beating it.The reason people buy M3 cars is that they are amazing track machines,not outright acceleration.Ive said before, if in the real world the IS-F beats the M3 in all things then i will reject M and go F,but i still think its a tall order.its funny how audi has decided one week after the press release of the M3,that they have stopped production of the RS4,i think they may have had a drive and been a little impressed.Also BMW e46 sales made up 14% of all 3 series sales.I hear BMW is looking to beat this also,meaning the M3 will be mass produced and targetted now not at true sport car enthusiasts,but at people who have an image interest.If you want out right straight line acceleration then an AMG is what you need,they are unbeatable.

Style man, style :winky:

Wasn’t it said some 18 years ago that Mercedes and BMW were the pinnacle of Luxury cars and build quality and they wouldn’t be surpassed?

Yes, that’s right then came along the Lexus LS 400.

Lexus are cutting edge Luxury, Hybrid technology and Build Quality and they haven’t really tried their hand at performance up until now.

Whilst I appreciate the guys at M for the last 3 years have been working extremely hard, I’m also certain the guys at F have been working exceptionally hard during the last 10 years as that’s how long the F division has been in the pipeline.

And tell me, gear changes on the IS F within a tenth of a second, come on that’s very impressive!!!!!!!!!

i know its blasphemy, but id have the m3 - think the 3 series coupes/ convertbles look sharp, and the is-f would have looked better if stuck more to the 250 shape. :shutit: (i realise the debate is about which is faster- but was just a thought :shutit: :shutit: )