Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Car Idle Speed Creeps Above 1000 Rpm

Yet another fault has just appeared. Brand new IS220d Sport (1500 miles old) and the idle speed just changes from about 750 rpm to 1200 rpm at random intervals when in traffic. This happens when the engine is both cold and at normal operating temperature, when the air con is both off and on, lights off and on (ie. not load dependent).

Lexus have re-flashed the ECU to no avail. They are now taking the car in for 3 days to change various ECU components.

Has anyone else experienced this problem??

Yet another fault has just appeared. Brand new IS220d Sport (1500 miles old) and the idle speed just changes from about 750 rpm to 1200 rpm at random intervals when in traffic. This happens when the engine is both cold and at normal operating temperature, when the air con is both off and on, lights off and on (ie. not load dependent).

Lexus have re-flashed the ECU to no avail. They are now taking the car in for 3 days to change various ECU components.

There are some threads on this - ine hovers at 1200, but normally until the temp needle hits middleish and then it stays at 800rpm...

I took my 220d into Leicester 12 months ago with this problem and was told that there was no fault and that the engine management was doing it's job correctly.

Hi, it's all to do with the A/C system. If the Climate Control system requires heat in the cabin before the engine is at running temperature the management unit will speed up the idle rpm to speed up the time to get to the running temp.

To prove it try this with a cold engine.

Set the A/C to 25 or 26 degrees the idle rpm will increase

Set the A/C to 16 or LO and the idle rpm will be normal

This will continue until the engine has heated up.

Also it only happens when the car is stationary.

Cheers

Russell

Stuff the environment - at least you'll be warm...

It's great in some ways...step into the new BMW diesels and they actually kill the engine at red lights/stationary, /depress the clutch and the engine intstantly fires again...

So on the M25 on a freezing winters morn, the Lexus driver is cossetted by a fantastically efficient heater, whereas the poor Beemer driver wallows on an un-heated and un-ventilated cold seat...

Nice...serves them right

Stuff the environment - at least you'll be warm...

It's great in some ways...step into the new BMW diesels and they actually kill the engine at red lights/stationary, /depress the clutch and the engine intstantly fires again...

So on the M25 on a freezing winters morn, the Lexus driver is cossetted by a fantastically efficient heater, whereas the poor Beemer driver wallows on an un-heated and un-ventilated cold seat...

Nice...serves them right

How do auto's restart?

I took my 220d into Leicester 12 months ago with this problem and was told that there was no fault and that the engine management was doing it's job correctly.

There is no way this can be normal. It happens when the engine is at normal temperature aswell as when it is cold - it's completely random - there is no trigger as has been mentioned by others here. The A/C plays no part in this at all - even if the A/C is off, the idle still has a mind of it's own.

My local $tealer told me that there are now newer ECU components available - which are fitted to the latest cars (even though my car is only 2 months old, it doesn't have these latest bits!!).

It seems to me that Lexus are still very much developing this car!! Hope the vibrating mirror fix comes out soon, as they have promised.