Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Can someone please remind me, is it at 60k that the timing belt or cam belt needs to be changed, just bought a 96N last serviced at 58,196 and the agent didn't do it........ anyone recommend a good spanner man in Staffordshire area ?, regards, Ian

Hi Ian

My car shows 145K and had belt changes at 60K and 120K. So I guess 60K is the figure. Hope this helps.

Hi, Thanks for that, just spoke to local Lexus dealer who confirmed 60k.

I hope its not too expensive because its a big and long job

Now then here's a story,

I have 2 Lexus dealers where I live, 1st is a Lexus approved service center, they stopped selling new Lexus about 3 years ago, I have used them for work on my previous LS and they were 1st class.

2nd is a full Lexus retailer with lot's of new LS, IS, GS, RX and SC's in stock along with some very tasty second hand stock, I also used these for work on my previous LS and they were 1st class.

Called them both yesterday to book in for a 60k timing belt, wanted to compare price's and try to save £30 -£40.

I was not prepared for the following

Lexus dealer 1 (service center) All in price of £257

Lexus dealer 2 (new sales) All in price of ........................wait for it......................wait for it....................£485

Wow, what a difference over £200 between 2 Lexus dealers that are only 5 miles apart.

Apprentley the Lexus new sales dealer charges more for their labour to cover their overheads, in the words of Katherine Tate

"What a ******* Liberty"

Bet you can't guess at which dealer it is booked in at ?

Edited by janey
swearing

that's to be expected though ( new cars on the forecourt wouldn't you rather have a new one sir ) that sort of thing and just think how much we opps :rolleyes: YOU will save in the long run,

£257 all in that's not bad

I'm very happy with £257 all in, along with a courtesy car aswell for the duration of the job.

I hope its not too expensive because its a big and long job

Now then here's a story,

I have 2 Lexus dealers where I live, 1st is a Lexus approved service center, they stopped selling new Lexus about 3 years ago, I have used them for work on my previous LS and they were 1st class.

2nd is a full Lexus retailer with lot's of new LS, IS, GS, RX and SC's in stock along with some very tasty second hand stock, I also used these for work on my previous LS and they were 1st class.

Called them both yesterday to book in for a 60k timing belt, wanted to compare price's and try to save £30 -£40.

I was not prepared for the following

Lexus dealer 1 (service center) All in price of £257

Lexus dealer 2 (new sales) All in price of ........................wait for it......................wait for it....................£485

Wow, what a difference over £200 between 2 Lexus dealers that are only 5 miles apart.

Apparently the Lexus new sales dealer charges more for their labour to cover their overheads, in the words of Katherine Tate

"What a ******* Liberty"

Bet you can't guess at which dealer it is booked in at ?

Hi Janey, my apologies, didn't realize that leaving the letters out counted as swearing,we are all adults, seems a little childish to edit something that was obviously a joke/said in jest, if anyone was offended the could have said so, regards, Ian

courtesy car as well :ohmy: cant argue with that well done to that garage so post his address for others +10

Is posting address's allowed, I'm already in trouble with miss Janey for being a naughty boy at last post time, I'll be on detention next if i dont behave :rolleyes:

Lexus Hanley

Stoke on Trent

Leek Rd

Staffs

I last used them about 3 years ago to look after my 1st LS, I must say the service was 1st class, car always came back washed and vacumed, There is a chap named Brian who I recall was the service manager, he worked along side another chap whose name I can't remember, and now I believe the parts manager is name Chris, who contributes on here.

is there an easy or hard way to check the belt?

Mine wa sallegedly done at 120k but calling the place it was serviced at they cant confirm it as it was pre computer records & no paperwork. Normally i'd just get it changed so as not to risk it but i recall reading it's not terminal on the lex engine if they did fail?

Or is that optimistic/stupid?

Si

is there an easy or hard way to check the belt?

Mine wa sallegedly done at 120k but calling the place it was serviced at they cant confirm it as it was pre computer records & no paperwork. Normally i'd just get it changed so as not to risk it but i recall reading it's not terminal on the lex engine if they did fail?

Or is that optimistic/stupid?

Si

Hi Si, sorry cant help with checking the belt as I'm as mechanically minded as a sponge, I have heard of horror stories of timing belts going and causing hundereds of pounds of damage(could be just a tale spread by dealers though)compared to £250 to replace belt at Lexus, I thought most dealers/garages place a sticker on the engine to confirm that the belt has been changed, and to be fair I don't think they would say change at 60k if not needed.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links