Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Front Tyres

jrh10

I have just had my 10,000 mile service on my IS300 and both front tyres need replacing.

They have worn on the inside, the outside and middle are fine.

Has anyone else had this problem - it seems the setup of the car is going to cost me money for new tyres!

Jon

I have just had my 10,000 mile service on my IS300 and both front tyres need replacing.

Did you get the dealers to check ur wheel alignment??

it could a possibility that the wheel alignment is out and needs to be done...

But then again for a new-ish car it shouldn't be already...

get your alignment checked mate - thats a classic symptom.

:(

A four whel alignment check is not part of the 10k service - doesn't happen until 20k.

But - your dealer should have rang you and asked if you wanted it doing, its such an obvious symptom that even I know it! :lol:

BTW - the car doesn't eat tyres - I got 20k out of mine, and they only needed the rears from wear, the fronts were shot on the inside from the alignment being whacked out over the 20k miles.

The dealer said they are going to check the wheel alignment when I take it back in next week - I am just a bit annoyed that this should of happened so soon on a brand new car. He said they have had a lot of cars with this problem, even a local tyre garage I rang for prices mentined they had had IS200/300 with the same issue.

While I am on how much a people paying for tyres? My dealer quotes £150 per tyres where as my local garage quoted £85!

Jon

I am just a bit annoyed that this should of happened so soon on a brand new car. He said they have had a lot of cars with this problem, even a local tyre garage I rang for prices mentined they had had IS200/300 with the same issue.

to be honest - this isn't a fault with the IS (that I know of).

if thee have been several instances in your area, could well be due to the state of the roads whacking the alignment out of date.

I had exactly the same problem - 20K miles still on the original tyres. Rears were ok, but fronts were totally bald on the inside shoulder, while the rest of the tyre had bags of life left.

Dealer checked it and advised that the tracking was out, and corrected it. Trouble is, the roads in Sussex are cr@p, and there's any number of potholes etc, that can throw your tracking out! :o

The dealer said they are going to check the wheel alignment when I take it back in next week - I am just a bit annoyed that this should of happened so soon on a brand new car. He said they have had a lot of cars with this problem, even a local tyre garage I rang for prices mentined they had had IS200/300 with the same issue.

While I am on how much a people paying for tyres? My dealer quotes £150 per tyres where as my local garage quoted £85!

Jon

The dealer isn't in the business of selling tyres, so you'll be paying a premium. You can get good tyres for around the £100 mark or thereabouts.

I would also get them to check the power steering. Had the same problem on an Alfa 156, going through tyres on the inside shoulder every 6000 miles. Dealer completely changed the front end of the car before they found the power steering to be causing the problem. Still not fixed completely (along with other things), hence I'm getting an IS200 next week. :D

Paul

Reading told me that the insides will wear quicker than the outsides (usually) as the wheels are tilted in slightly to improve handling!???!?!?!

Mine are Dunlop SP9000's (or whatever) and I am very happy with them, wear well, grip well, wet and dry. I have always steered clear of Dunlop before as I thought they would wear quickly due to soft compound?

Definately get them again if need to change. (like the tread pattern too :) )

SP9000's are in fact one of the harder compounds available - michelins, toyos and the like tend to be softer. And you should be able to pick tyres up for around 90 to 100 quid if you hunt around (assuming you are talking about 17's). ;)

Like I said before - it's "a feature" of the IS200 - wearing of the inside edges - kind of suprised that it also happens on the IS300. Here's where the dig really starts though - I think both engines were a bit of an after thought...

You guys do rotate tyres don't you? Swapping fronts and backs every 5k miles will help even out the wear and ensure you get the most out of the tyres....

• 1 month later...

My is300 sportX was just in for 10k and both front tires were bald on the inside. I was told the alignment was probably out. New car with no pothole or curb bashing - seems like something other than alignment. I have to replace to pass state inspection so I will see about alignment and wear. I can't rotate (different sizes on sportx) so I am hoping this won't happen again.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought my IS200 in November from Lexus Manchester with 13k on the clock and noted that it had two new front tyres fitted as part of the standard RAC inspection. (Bridgestone Potenza 215/45 ZR17). the car has now done 21k

I'm new to the Forum and am (now) quite worried on 2 counts:

1. I'm taking my car in for a 20k service to Lexus Manchester this Friday, 16 May and the reviews don't fill me with much confidence.

2. The main reason its going in is that the inside shoulder on the two fronts are down to the canvas, with circa 5mm on the outside shoulder.

I'm complaining that the tracking was clearly not correct when I purchased the car and therefore they should bear the cost of 2 new front tyres, especially when it looks like I've burnt >1mm per 1000 miles due to the incorrect tracking.

They have offered me a geometry check as part of the service and said they will see about the tyre position but have also stated that hitting a pothole or a kerb can force the tracking out on both wheels.

Surely I must have hit the pothole (not that I remember) in the very early days of ownership to get such a high rate of wear? and surely the benefit of the doubt should be given especially as it had two new tyres at 13k miles.

I doubt I'm going to win this argument but would welcome other views

many thanks,

Mark

Even more concerning, after 1 year ( 9793 miles) I had to get my 2 rear tyres replaced as the dealer noticed a split in them at the 1 year service. See this thread for more details. Cost me £227.28 + VAT = £267.05 to replace the 2 Bridgestone Potenzas. Lexus AB returned these to Bridgestone for inspection, but am still awaiting feedback... and hopefully a part refund.

Gareth

I bought my IS200 in November from Lexus Manchester with 13k on the clock and noted that it had two new front tyres fitted as part of the standard RAC inspection. (Bridgestone Potenza 215/45 ZR17). the car has now done 21k

1. I'm taking my car in for a 20k service to Lexus Manchester this Friday, 16 May and the reviews don't fill me with much confidence.

2. The main reason its going in is that the inside shoulder on the two fronts are down to the canvas, with circa 5mm on the outside shoulder.

I'm complaining that the tracking was clearly not correct when I purchased the car and therefore they should bear the cost of 2 new front tyres, especially when it looks like I've burnt >1mm per 1000 miles due to the incorrect tracking.

They have offered me a geometry check as part of the service and said they will see about the tyre position but have also stated that hitting a pothole or a kerb can force the tracking out on both wheels.

Surely I must have hit the pothole (not that I remember) in the very early days of ownership to get such a high rate of wear? and surely the benefit of the doubt should be given especially as it had two new tyres at 13k miles.

many thanks,

Mark

good luck i am going through something similatr myself with lex bolton

5mm in 2 months

my recomendation

lexus stockport

ask for lisa they are super not had any problems with them at all

by the way where in manchester are you ?

The dealer isn't in the business of selling tyres, so you'll be paying a premium. You can get good tyres for around the £100 mark or thereabouts.

Totally agree B)

So, you can imagine my surprise when my local dealer (Hadleigh) beat Kwik Fit (and all the others) by nearly £30 a tyre :lookaround::lookaround: :o

I got 4 new tires on Monday... although the central part had about 2.3mm left, my overexrubiant roundabout tendicies meant that the outside edges we 'rolled' (had the dealer switch front and rear at 20k service.)

The tires I think were the orginals, Dunlop SP9000, and the car has done 23K, and replaced all 4 at the dealer for 420 quid.

I'm going around roundabouts slower now. :unsure:

fidqits, congratulations, the first to accept that the driver often has the solution to better tyre performance in his own hands[and right foot]

correct tyre pressures also plays a part!!!but of course none of this applies to lexus drivers. :lol:

I think the key to tyre life/wear is.................tyre maintenance :excl:

bought my almost 2yr old IS with 10k on clock,last may(2002)

now done almost 30k and i expect to get another 20k at least out

of them,as i only use mine at w/ends/eves but everytime i use her,

first thing is a trip to the garage to check pressures and dont forget

that this varies with how many peeps/loads you carry round

(but you all know that anyway).........dont you :winky:

I posted the attached a couple of weeks ago so though I had better update it.

I took the car in and had no problems whatsoever. lexus agreed to pay for one new tyre and I paid for the other one (same tyres; Potenza). This included valve, balance and fitting and cost me £113 plus VAT. They also paid for the Geometry check and fix. The service was also fine

Whether the post had an affect or not, I'm pretty impressed and will be updating the dealer review to reflect this.

Mark

many thanks,

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

: Can it be that there are so many IS200/300's out there that are mis-tracking?

20k on mine and inside edge fronts look smoother than a cue ball. Plenty left on rest of tread 'tho. No knocks and all smooth road stuff so I don't accept all the BS about alignment being 'knocked out'. If so ....how come it's exactly the same wear pattern on both tyres. Symmetrical 'knocking out' perhaps !!?

More likely is Castor Angle on IS range is + a few degrees as standard. Dunn'o why. Could be inherent handling problem or something unique to UK/Europe suspension set ups.

Love to read the Lexus internal memos on this topic. Bet'cha they're almost as good as the ones on corrosion on the alloys!!!

Only solution is to rotate for those who can

21545zr17 Potenzas should be around £115 inc. on the wheel

Andy G

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links