Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Which Tyre Size For The Original Rims?

Hi, I wanna order a new set of tires, for the original 17" 5 spoke rims. (is200)

I found that the tire size is 215/45HR17

Now i was thinking, I just had my rims repainted, can I take a wider tire, so it is wider than the rim and I have less risc to have curb damage?

it should be a ZR rated tyre. it is posible to have 225 tyres on but i found it made the car wallow a bit

why cant i take HR? my is200 is an auto so i cant go over 205kmh anyway

The "HR, VR and ZR" describes the speed rating..... What everyone is missing is this also describes the load rating.

The weight of the IS200 and the lateral forces generated at the tyre footprint needs a pneumatic ability above the HR rating... Failure to observe this could lead to the tyre failing.

I had 225's put on mine and found it holds the corners better, when I had the 215's on it let go on corners a lot easier.

Sounds like a case of new rubber feels grippier to me.

I'm on my 3rd set of Michelin Sports and i went up to 225's to feel the difference. ALOT spongier, less responsive on turn in. Definitely not as grippy. But i don't mind the compromise since my TRD coilovers are quite stiff, and i will just change rims/tires for the circuit.

You can get 215's with rim protectors on. Will help only a little though (as I found out!!) but is better than nothing.

If you can still get them and go for the dunlop SP9000 Sports - make sure you get the LEXUS versions - marked as MADE IN JAPAN, NOT made in GERMANY, as they are a different tyre all together.

There is something posted before about this, maybe in the knowledge base, but basically the side walls are stiffer. Dunlop do not recommend the standard ones for the IS200. Ruins the handling apparently. Think the tyre compund is also a little different.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links