Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

went to a wedding the weekend and filled the GS300 L reg 1995 to the brim

drove a round trip of 362 miles

pwr on , overdrive on, mostly dual carriageway with cruise control on just above the legal thingy speed and about 60 miles of cornish lanes

came back and topped the tank today

used 45 litres / 9.9 gallons

gives me 36.5 MPG which I am really happy with and quite honestly more than I thought I was going to get

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hello all. after doing this experiment i also realised the car was much livlier. but im not sureon consumption. i had filled the car to the brim on friday. and drove to london covering approx 220miles. for about 1hour we were in standstill and also heavy rain poor visibility mean doing between 40 and 60.. i then drove in london a few miles 20 or so. then drove back another 220miles. but.. i filled in £15 after about 150miles. my trip comuter was giving a tank average of 28.8 mpg..... :winky: but the £15 fill up may have thrown this a bit.

next i will will the car up and if more than 69litres go in then i know i wouldnt have made 450 miles on one tank.. ill let u know

also massagers and air con and cdplayer were on for all of the journey along with foglights due to poor visibility.

thanks

Amazingly, despite all conjecture, the general opinion is that PWR ETC = better fuel economy. I drove 360 miles today with PWR ETC mode on, and again got better fuel economy then expected...

Can LEXUS provide some further detail of this major incorrect detail in the manual?

no change on mine but I don't drive long distance mainly town and country roads, there is a difference on the gear changes like more responsive and no change to RPM unless I drop the overdrive ( of course that would get less MPG ) so it sounds like its a good idea for the PWR/ECT to be on on distance driving

any increase in mpg is good!

LS V8 is always going to be considered a gas guzzler, but when you consider the new merc CL350 deisel (spits on the floor at the thought of dirty oil burners) gets 32/gal combined why would you buy a smaller engine or consider driving behind a tractor engine?

The new FSI pertol engine in the CL350 gets only 1mpg less than its oil burning sister, again why would you buy a small engine or a deisel?

On the PWR mode thing, most people forget that an engine has optimal speeds for producing torque and power, this is not necesarity at low revs. What seems to be happening is that in PWR mode the engine is performing more optimally and making better use of the fuel it's getting.

When you learn to drive these days they teach you to drive up to 3rd gear only in urban areas, helps keep speed in check and is more efficient for modern engines that are designed to run at higher revs and do not like to be laboured.

Gone are the days of inefficient old donks like the A sereis and ford X flows...

very true my rover 827 sterling auto does worse than the lex at 15 to 25 mpg so im very happy with the lex

Yes but what a rocket ship the 827 is!

I had one for 2 years before I got the lex and while there really is no comparison regards comfort or quality, for downright right foot appeal its just the dogs danglies :whistling: :whistling:

I had an 827 as well, 0 to 30 time ace, I never worked out the 0-60 time as I don't think it ran that long before it broke down

If only they made a new version of the 3.5 SDI Vitesse, I would go and buy another tomorrow, I still compare the Lex against it

Seriously I topped the tank before and after and double checked it to make sure I hadn't done something daft like convert to american (with large fries jumbo burger and a diet coke) type gallons

OK most of the time was on motorway / dual carriageway and cruise controlled to a sedate 70 ish

361 miles on the speedo, 45 litres in the tank, the actual litres was 45.22

I know I don't get that sort of mileage around Cornish and Devon lanes, but usually average out around the 25 ish MPG then

• 1 month later...

A further interesting point on this epic is;

I did the same journey twice this week. One trip, as my wife was with me, the AC was off and so was the SAT-NAV screen. (She's pregnant and gets her away about the silly things)

The other trip was just me, AC on full pelt and as usual the SAT-NAV screen was on.

PWR ETC and Cruise Control was used.

Without the AC on and the SAT-NAV screen off, the MPG was 5MPG more. In otherwords, that had a HUGE saving on petrol...

Now I like more comforts more the environment, so I will be drivng as usual. Just thought someone out there may be trying to get better MPG and this is a sure way.

Hi There,

The first trip with the a/c off will produce a higher MPG as the a/c takes power from the engine to drive the a/c belt. The more power you take from the engine, the more power you have to put in, ie.Petrol. The sat/nav screen has no influence whatsoever.

The second trip with the a/c on full pelt will reduce the MPG, but 5 MPG less is quite considerable. On a full tank of petrol ( on a decent run) the LS430 ( 18.47 gallons) should comfortably achieve approx.30 MPG without the a/c on. Driving exactly the same with the a/c on full pelt you should achieve approx. 27 MPG.

For town driving, knock these figures down to 25 without a/c and 22 with a/c.

Hi There,

The first trip with the a/c off will produce a higher MPG as the a/c takes power from the engine to drive the a/c belt. The more power you take from the engine, the more power you have to put in, ie.Petrol. The sat/nav screen has no influence whatsoever.

The second trip with the a/c on full pelt will reduce the MPG, but 5 MPG less is quite considerable. On a full tank of petrol ( on a decent run) the LS430 ( 18.47 gallons) should comfortably achieve approx.30 MPG without the a/c on. Driving exactly the same with the a/c on full pelt you should achieve approx. 27 MPG.

Thanks for the comments. My car has the premium pack, which I did not mention. So when the A/C was on I also had the 'air purifier' on. This cools down the cool-box between the rear seats and also further purifies and dehumidifies the air in the car. Perhaps that accounts for the bigger difference.

I don't usually have the 'Air Purifier' on all the time. But as I was keeping score, I thought I go from one extreme to the other.

Interesting about the SAT-NAV screen. Would having the CD player on make any differnce to MPG?

• 1 month later...
Hi There,

Thanks for the comments. My car has the premium pack, which I did not mention. So when the A/C was on I also had the 'air purifier' on. This cools down the cool-box between the rear seats and also further purifies and dehumidifies the air in the car. Perhaps that accounts for the bigger difference.

I don't usually have the 'Air Purifier' on all the time. But as I was keeping score, I thought I go from one extreme to the other.

Interesting about the SAT-NAV screen. Would having the CD player on make any differnce to MPG?

• 5 years later...

When driveing from Mayo to Dublin i got 35 mpg in normal mode/ did the same trip with cruise on at 65-70 i got an amazing 39-40 mpg .so nxt weekend i will add the pwr .thats with the wife and kids. The best i got from my old 740i was 28 mpg HAPPY DAYS

It is as contributers have already said down to the foot how much juice the engine uses,more so in braking than in acceleration.If you reduce the forward impetus of the weight of the car by braking, only to then immediatly try to regain the impetus to the same forward motion the car was travelling at the amount of fuel used would be twice as much as was needed than if you were trying to just increase the speed by the same margin from the original forward motion speed accross the ground.The amount of energy required is greater because of the inertia that as to be overcome.Best example to relate to is to push a car from a standing start,it is very difficult at the beginning but becomes a lot easier as the car starts to move.

The extra power function stops the engine dropping a gear when the accelerator is pressed as a safety precaution when overtaking, it prevents the momentary lapse in forward speed caused when the gearbox would normally drop down a gear.

Cruise control works best by using it without use of the brakes ,by that I mean anticipate the requirement to slow and use the controls on the steering wheel to monitor these requirements rather than the brakes.

Interesting thread - I have had 5 LS models 400 and now a 430. Over 10 years my 430 returns about 22 on average (I run on LPG so fuel consumption calcs are fun). I have a heavy foot and drive a lot of motor way miles and short 20ish mile (golf club) trips, The only way to work out your real fuel consumption is with a pencil and paper not the cars computer. I keep a record of mileage and fuel put in and then work out long and short term averages - I drive on the mileage because I run on LPG so the fuel gauge is no use to me.

Your fuel consumption will be highly dependent on the type of trip (and your foot) - a long motor way trip at a constant 70 will get you up to the 30MPG figs reported - drive a stop start route in a two ton car round town and it will be 16 or lower.

There are differences in the two modes - in econ mode the car will change gear at max torque (half shift if you are an American) and in pwr mode it will change gear at max power (full shift) which is just before the red line - Amber hit on this in the previous post.

Getting upto cruising speed quickly and staying there will save you fuel.

PWR mode round town will burn more fuel. The gear box will change more quickly in PWR mode - I find that the car will "learn" how I drive and even in ECO mode will respond more quickly.

Try driving fast and hard for a while then slow down and drive sedately and I'll bet you find the gear box is a little bumpy for a short time - until it works what you need from it.

I find the car will do what I want (except run on water :) ) when I want and is great and the best way to save on fuel costs is an LPG conversion.

Good luck

Bren

Interesting thread - I have had 5 LS models 400 and now a 430. Over 10 years my 430 returns about 22 on average (I run on LPG so fuel consumption calcs are fun). I have a heavy foot and drive a lot of motor way miles and short 20ish mile (golf club) trips, The only way to work out your real fuel consumption is with a pencil and paper not the cars computer. I keep a record of mileage and fuel put in and then work out long and short term averages - I drive on the mileage because I run on LPG so the fuel gauge is no use to me.

Your fuel consumption will be highly dependent on the type of trip (and your foot) - a long motor way trip at a constant 70 will get you up to the 30MPG figs reported - drive a stop start route in a two ton car round town and it will be 16 or lower.

There are differences in the two modes - in econ mode the car will change gear at max torque (half shift if you are an American) and in pwr mode it will change gear at max power (full shift) which is just before the red line - Amber hit on this in the previous post.

Getting upto cruising speed quickly and staying there will save you fuel.

PWR mode round town will burn more fuel. The gear box will change more quickly in PWR mode - I find that the car will "learn" how I drive and even in ECO mode will respond more quickly.

Try driving fast and hard for a while then slow down and drive sedately and I'll bet you find the gear box is a little bumpy for a short time - until it works what you need from it.

I find the car will do what I want (except run on water :) ) when I want and is great and the best way to save on fuel costs is an LPG conversion.

Good luck

Bren

Here Here Mike